How to transport a car from another European country to Germany?

11 posts in this topic

Did some search but didn't find many related topics, probably because the easiest answer is "to drive there".

But the thing is I have two cars and I can only drive one. Distance is around 2000km. Anyone used this kind of service before? How much will it cost?

Thanks!

At the same time, if you have transported a motorcycle/bicycles, welcome to share some experience too!

Which country is it?

There is no import tax within the EU, but the best way to transport a car is to sell one of the two cars and buy a new one here (or maybe you will find out you don't need a second car).

57 minutes ago, IronCore said:

But the thing is I have two cars and I can only drive one.

If that is your only problem: drive car 1, fly back, drive car 2?

WOW Thank you guys for reply! I didn't expect to get answered so fast.

I'm in Estonia now, and the cars are older than 1 year, so I think there is no import tax, only registration, but anyway if I buy a car in Germany I also need to pay for registration so I'm OK with it.

My situation is one car is a family hatchback, practical, I will need it to move my belongings anyway, so I can't sell this one; and the other is a relatively new convertible that can carry literally nothing but it's relatively new so selling it would lose too much money. I'm tormented because I don't really know which one to sell that's why I decide to move them both.

And according to msam's answer, do you imply that finding a transportation company to ship the car is actually more expensive than fly back then do the trip again?

I did some calculation, flight can be from 100-200 EUR and to cover the 2000km, 2-3day trip, gas, hotel, highway toll, everything included should be 400-450EUR.

I used a car transportation service in China once, also around 2000km, cost around 400 EUR. Since everything related to human is more expensive, I guess probably it will need double of that to do the same length of trip.

2 hours ago, yourkeau said:

There is no import tax within the EU

That´s what I thought as well. However, from what I read in Cypriot forums you have to pay import tax on vehicles when bringing them from the UK to Cyprus.

2 hours ago, yourkeau said:

Which country is it?

There is no import tax within the EU,

There is registration tax, which is different.

In Portugal you pay a very heavy registration tax when you bring a car from other EU countries.

As an example, a friend had to pay 11.000€ to import a 7 year old Opel! He changed his mind, brought the car back to Germany and sold it here.

In Portugal, it is dependent on fuel type, particles, CO2 and year. So import can go from 1000€ for a very eco- friendly car to more than 10.000€.

Also you pay VAT over the tax. Yes, I know, double taxation. But still happens.

Is that legal?

Portugal, Cyprus and other similar countries might violate EU law.

A friend of mine sued government of Poland for taxing the car which he brought from France, and he won. I think, Germany follows the EU laws, so you don't need to sue the government.

There is an EU regulation that if you have lived in another country for more than 1 year and you own the car for more than 1 year, you can avoid the tax. But you can only use this exemption once every 10 years.

The thing is that this is not an import tax per se, it is more an eco-tax. And as Germany does not have one (AFAIK), Portugal can apply one. I guess if both countries had eco-taxes, you could claim back the German one.

6 minutes ago, MikeMelga said:

There is an EU regulation that if you have lived in another country for more than 1 year and you own the car for more than 1 year, you can avoid the tax. But you can only use this exemption once every 10 years.

According to OP, the cars are older than 1 year. They did research this.

Here: https://www.tuev-sued.de/auto_fahrzeuge/zulassungen_import/import_von_fahrzeugen#anchor_Import%20EU

It says VAT should be paid if the owner bought a car abroad and brought it to Germany immediately. I guess in this case they can get export plates and do not pay the VAT in the origin country while pay it in Germany. That makes sense.

But here this is not the case.

7 minutes ago, yourkeau said:

According to OP, the cars are older than 1 year. They did research this.

Does not matter how old, but if he has it on his possession for more than 1 year.