What currency to use in Prague?

8 posts in this topic

We are going for a few days next month and I'm wondering if we will be able to use Euros or if we need to get some Czech crowns? If the latter, would Deutsche Bank be able to provide these? Is there an alternative for a better exchange rate?

The best currency is your credit card.

For small payments euros are generally accepted (exchange rate might be not so good, that's why use cash only for small payments). If I remember correctly, there are gazillion of currency exchange points in Prague, but I can't tell if their rates are good. I get by with euros and cc, that is enough for a weekend trip.

It is possible to take taxis in Prague so long as you agree on a fixed price before you get in. I've done this many time.

For example, if you need a taxi from the main train station or airport to your hotel, call your hotel before and ask them how much you should pay for the ride. That is what I have done in Prague, Jakarta, etc. Then you just start at the first taxi telling the driver what you are willing to pay. The last time I was in Prague, my parents were pretty impressed with their little girl wheeling and dealing. Of course, when I got a driver to agree to the fair price, I tipped him almost double upon arrival at our hotel for being honest.

Always a good idea to ask your hotel what a ride should cost. Once, in Asia, upon arriving at my hotel, the driver wanted 3 times the agreed price. I just got out and told the doorman who had greeted me and the told the driver to fuck off and never come back to that hotel. I paid nothing.

Same with changing money. Be aware of the current fair exchange rate and make a fair offer keeping in mind they aren't doing it for free. If they don't agree, go to the next one. Sometimes hotels are the best place to change.

I've always used ATMs to withdraw Czech currency, most places accept Euros but you won't get a very good rate.

Some hotels will arrange a courtesy car to collect you from the airport/station.

So, just to report back. I ended up using one of those tiny kiosks tucked into a wall and got something like 24.50 crowns to a euro, without extra fees. Then later I saw another one that gave 25 crowns. I thought this was really good (actually, shocked) considering the "official" exchange rate is just over 25. I checked the rate at an ATM with my credit card and it was only 22 or 23.

You will always get a poor rate using a credit card, I always use my bank debit card.