Car registration with old car plate

6 posts in this topic

Hello,

I bought a car in Germany from another city that I live. I brought it back to my city with the old owner's car plate (in Germany). My question is whether I need to take the car to the Zulassungsstelle, only the old car plates or nothing at all. In the document it says:

"Falls gleichzeitig eine Umkennzeichnung erfolgen soll, die bisherigen Schilder zur Entstempelung (falls zugelassen) Liegt für die Zulassung kein gültiger Personalausweis", but I could not understand it as my German is not good.

Do I need to buy the car plate first, or is everything done at the same time? Can I go there with the car (it is a bit far from the city center) and come back with my plates? Do I need a screwdriver to change the plates?

Thank you,

I am giving my recent experience:

1. You no need to take the car to zulassungstelle, If you do not want.

2. You are not compulsory to change the number, can keep the same number plate.

3. Take ZulassungsBescheninung 1, 2 and EVB number with you . I think you have to pay around 25 Euros.

3 minutes ago, Kristan said:

2. You are not compulsory to change the number, can keep the same number plate.

BS...

Example:

1.) Bloke living in Hamburg owns a car with HH-plates. The bloke moves to Berlin. The car can keep the HH-plates.

2.) Bloke living in Hamburg buys a car with B-plates. The car is brought to Hamburg. The car must get HH-plates.

1 hour ago, wakeup12 said:

Hello,

I bought a car in Germany from another city that I live. I brought it back to my city with the old owner's car plate (in Germany). My question is whether I need to take the car to the Zulassungsstelle, only the old car plates or nothing at all. In the document it says:

Only the plates. And the papers.

Do I need to buy the car plate first,

Please think about it for a moment – how could you buy plates whitout knowing the cars new registration code?

or is everything done at the same time?

At the same time, in couple of steps – you get your new code, pay, buy the plates, pay (for them), get the seals for the plates attached.

Can I go there with the car (it is a bit far from the city center) and come back with my plates?

With your new plates on the car.

Do I need a screwdriver to change the plates?

My crystal ball is broken. Obviously you'd need a screwdriver if the plates are fixed with screws... If not, not. 

4 hours ago, someonesdaughter said:

Only the plates. And the papers.

Thanks!

Please think about it for a moment – how could you buy plates whitout knowing the cars new registration code?

I had no idea about the order, that's why I asked :). This differs from country to country. In some countries you get all at the same time in the same building.

At the same time, in couple of steps – you get your new code, pay, buy the plates, pay (for them), get the seals for the plates attached.

With your new plates on the car.

So theoretically, I can drive there by my car with the old plates, remove them, show to the guys, follow the steps above, attach new ones back, and drive.

My crystal ball is broken. Obviously you'd need a screwdriver if the plates are fixed with screws... If not, not. 

This question was to learn if they change them for you, or I needed to change them myself. From the answer, I presume, I do it myself :). This also differs from country to country.

Thank you again!

1 hour ago, wakeup12 said:

This question was to learn if they change them for you, or I needed to change them myself.

That question is answerable without a crystal ball now: You need to do that yourself, the office clerks won't do that for you.