Is it okay to pack few grated cheese packets in my checked luggage on a 16 hrs flight?

18 posts in this topic

I'm due to fly in few days and I have bought 6 200g packets of grated cheese from Rewe. I'm planning to put them in my checked luggage and hoping that it'll not get spoiled in this long flight.

Provided that we must keep cheese in cold place, is this gonna work? It the temperature of luggage cabin of airplane cold enough to keep it in good form?

Edit: In case any one wondering who the hell bring cheese in luggage. I'm flying somewhere where cheese is relatively expensive (not super expensive but still) so I'm bringing some from here.

Since I've no idea to where you are flying, it is difficult to say.  You need to have a wee look at the customs website of the country to which you are going.

But the sealed packages will be ok as you bought them in the Rewe they were most like not frozen.  They will survive. 

You might want to bear in mind the outside temperature wherever you are flying to - if it is going to be really hot outside, then you will want to cool the cheese almost as soon as you get your luggage back.

Is somebody collecting you from the airport? Maybe they could bring a coolbox along?

Just freeze it first and it will be fine.

And before anyone says it: grated cheese actually freezes quite well.  We buy it by the kilo to make Flammkuchen for parties, and as long as it not for months, the taste remains.  One night in the freezer will have no affect at all and will keep it fresh the entire flight.  

I have brought frozen steaks before on a flight, in the olden days of my youth. 

As BayDude says you must check the Customs rules for the country you're flying to.

Dairy products along with some other foods are severely restricted for entry to many countries.

Your profile says you're Nepali and checking their restrictions says you can bring up to 7kg of food items tax free, so if you're visiting back home it should be OK.

Aircraft holds are generally not heated. The rear hold almost never but the front can be heated to support life if any animals / pets are being carried.

3 hours ago, robinson100 said:

... Maybe they could bring a coolbox along?

I think maybe you mean a Cool bag rather than a box, right?  These are smaller and more flexible and what I would also suggest.  With a couple of freeze blocks in their.

33 minutes ago, Malt-Teaser said:

Aircraft holds are generally not heated. The rear hold almost never but the front can be heated to support life if any animals / pets are being carried.

Here is a pilot answering a similar question:

https://travel.stackexchange.com/questions/22604/will-my-checked-luggage-freeze-in-the-airplane/22609#22609

So generally he says that around 7c is normal (varies by aircraft), but up to 18c is possible if animals are being carried (and your bag might be in the the same place).  It can also be colder if it is closer to the skin of the aircraft.

I would also say that you need to be aware of the time before and after the air-con is switched on.  While the bags are being loaded/unloaded, and, if you are transferring plane then also the transfer time.  As during all of this then the bag will be exposed to the ambient air temperature, which if you transfer is the middle east could be rather high!

I remember once being sat on a plane in LA where the aircon was not working on the ground, it only worked when the engines were running.  Even though it was 22:00, it was still about 36c outside and 400 people sat in a metal tube for about 30-45 mins before the engines started was not pleasant! 

Having had some chocolate pudding stuff hanging around Dusseldorf in my luggage for around 3 days in the middle of summer, I would suggest you take the advice above.

Take in to consideration how warm it will be anywhere you luggage has to be transferred.

I have been bringing hard and soft cheeses to my parents in the USA for years.  If it's not in the middle of summer I will also bring a few packages of quark.  I don't bother to cool them and have never had a problem with things going bad or changes to consistency... and that's after c. 20 hours travel time.  The hold of the plane isn't heated so it should be cool enough for perishables as long as you don't have a long layover somewhere warm.  In that case, take it in your carry-on.  

The only thing with grated cheese that you might want to consider is that it can clump if it gets too warm. It might be better to buy a block of whatever cheese and grate it at your final destination :) 

37 minutes ago, bbcheen said:

I have been bringing hard and soft cheeses to my parents in the USA for years.

Is that allowed ? I thought they were a bit funny about things like that. I know it's OK to bring guns and stuff into the USA but cheese ? Still, I guess cheese isn't as dangerous as a  Kinder egg !! :blink:

7 minutes ago, Jonny said:

Is that allowed ? I thought they were a bit funny about things like that. I know it's OK to bring guns and stuff into the USA but cheese ? Still, I guess cheese isn't as dangerous as a  Kinder egg !! :blink:

Yes, you have to declare any food in the customs form you are given, but some foodstuffs are allowed

[...]  You may bring bakery items and most cheeses into the United States.  [...]

Source:  https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/1272/~/food---general-food

4 minutes ago, jaycool said:

Can anyone tell me why one would bring bags of rewe brand grated cheese?

For the same reason that folk bring masses of cheddar from the UK or Brunost from Norway

There is no accounting for taste!;)

8 hours ago, dj_jay_smith said:

I think maybe you mean a Cool bag rather than a box, right?  These are smaller and more flexible and what I would also suggest.  With a couple of freeze blocks in their.

Image result for coolboxI actually meant something like this - I have one that can be plugged into the cigarette lighter socket in the car and it keeps things wonderfully cool!!!

59 minutes ago, robinson100 said:

Image result for coolboxI actually meant something like this - I have one that can be plugged into the cigarette lighter socket in the car and it keeps things wonderfully cool!!!

We have one too, but I think that is a bit much for taking in luggage on a flight, especially for just a few bags of grated cheese.   

A small bag like this;

5aa80617d1c81_71jqpTSiL5L._SL1000_1.jpg.

might be better in such cases.  We also have one of these, which is handy when we fly and want to bring cheese back.

10 minutes ago, jaycool said:

I honestly had no idea that people take their cheese with them on vacations. I usually take the wife and kids, but cheese might indeed be the better option. 

I find that this means the holiday is cheaper, I have less arguments, and it is easier to pick up women.  "Hey, Wanna come back to my place and look at my Cheese?  It's grated you know!".

I've travelled by train within the eu for quite long journeys, and cheese does keep in a foil freezer bag for quite a while.

But bear in mind if it's pre-grated - there's (sterile) air in those bags of grated cheese to stop it clumping together. Aerated loose grated cheese will go off quicker than vacuum-sealed not loose cheese. So, you'd be better off buying a sealed hard block of cheese, and grating it yourself when you arrive.

I've had bags of grated cheese go off within days of opening even when refrigerated. REWE fresh food always seems to go off incredibly quickly. 

14 hours ago, robinson100 said:

Is somebody collecting you from the airport? Maybe they could bring a coolbox along?

1 hour ago, dj_jay_smith said:

We have one too, but I think that is a bit much for taking in luggage on a flight, especially for just a few bags of grated cheese.   

A small bag like this;

5aa80617d1c81_71jqpTSiL5L._SL1000_1.jpg.

might be better in such cases.  We also have one of these, which is handy when we fly and want to bring cheese back.

If you would care to re-read what I actually wrote, you will find that I was not suggesting the OP take a coolbox on the flight with him or her!

I was more thinking that if it is hot wherever s/he is travelling to, it might be clever to keep the cheese cooled for the journey from the airport to wherever the OP is going!

12 hours ago, robinson100 said:

If you would care to re-read what I actually wrote, you will find that I was not suggesting the OP take a coolbox on the flight with him or her!

I was more thinking that if it is hot wherever s/he is travelling to, it might be clever to keep the cheese cooled for the journey from the airport to wherever the OP is going!

Ah yes, sorry, I missed that.

I can appreciate why the OP wants to bring cheese as a gift. Yes, for some, it's hard to imagine why anyone would want to bring Rewe brand grated cheese but trust me, even Ja or Rewe brand grated cheese taste better than the cheese in some countries!

To the OP, I've often brought food as gifts as well but I would go with @bbcheen's suggestion to bring blocks of cheese and slice/grate them when you get to your destination. Aldi has blocks of Emmentaler bio cheese, they hold really well and you could also think about bringing Parmesan cheese that are vacuum sealed. To be honest, if you go with carry on, these would probably get less attention when you go through the customs check than say, (half melted) grated cheese.

BUT if you've already bought tens of packs of grated cheese, I would personally check them in. Get one of those cool bags from Lidl/Aldi - you have to do this probably a few hours before you depart - pack all of the grated cheese in together with an ice pack (the blue kind that you pop in the freezer) and seal the bag with lots of tape. this will def keep your cheese nice and cool. 

One additional tip: get your family/friends to bring some ice packs to the airport so you can drop the cheese in a chilled bag/box the moment you arrive! This goes for chocolates as well, especially if you are traveling to a warmer/more humid climate. 

Safe journey to you!