English-language cinema in Frankfurt and Darmstadt

45 posts in this topic

I think I got my answer of why it shuld be avoided. My third movie there.. well we were the only ones in the theatre, which is the good part..

But during the movie, it kept going off, went off 3 times. It did kind of put us off, as we had to get up and call someone to look after it.

The pop corn from the lil "food court" doesnt seem anywhere close to fresh/warm. and was way too salted!! and unfortunately we had taken the biggest size popcorn... so a lot of very salty pop corn, half of which we ended up throwing away.

But anyways, the movie was good, experience - not so good.

But wth, if we gotta watch an English movie, we'll end up going there anyways..

Yet to check out english movies at Berger Kino, bornheim.

Hi. Does anyone know if there is an english language cinema near frankfurt?. I want to drag my husband to go and watch sex and the city movie with me tomorrow.

Re: Turm Palast

(In my opinion) To say that the place is a dump with some technical and staffing problems would be an massive understatement. We have been there twice and will not be making a third visit. Interestingly, our decision to not return stemmed mainly from our experiences one late afternoon in the Vietnamese/Chinese next door:

Four men, two with Turm Palast t-shirts, conducting a management meeting in the restaurant. Very loud, arrogant and boorish. One could not avoid hearing every word of their conversation, such was their volume and pitch. Not only did these guys demonstarte no understanding of good management priciples or social decorum but they repeatedly demonstarted (verbally) an absolute lack of respect for their employees and patrons! Little wonder the place is such a dump and the staff really do not care. My wife and I joked that if the place burnt down, the news report would probably state that the fire caused an estimated 2 million Euros worth of improvements. LOL!

Incidently, the cooks in the Chinese/Vietnamese next door LOVE MSG!

Hi, my first post here. I glanced through the offer of movies with untouched audio and found myself very disappointed. I thought Frankfurt as a multi-culti would have much better selection of films with original soundtrack. Since I'm not very interested in blockbusters, Turmpalast doesn't suit my taste.

I've found the Film Museum with a nice selection of antiquated and foreign films. Does anyone know if they sync the movies to German? What about the rest of the small arthouse cinemas?

I'll probably check TP next time Old Farts agree a meeting (if they want me in, as I don't fit the description :-) but I can hardly make it without my arty (arty-farty? hm, may fit the bill afterall) films for long. Terminator blows 400 Blows (scheduled for May 30th in FM) anytime.

The Berger Kino in Bornheim pretty much always has at least one movie that will be in English at certain times of the day, or days of the week. It is a nice little kino, with friendly staff, cheaper prices than the Turm Palast and the bathrooms are 100% better than the Turm.

I saw "Star Trek" last Saturday: I agree, it's a good cinema, clean, seats are not broken, and picture image was good.

I think prices vary slightly based on the row you buy the ticket for and the movie's length, but even if it turned out to be more expensive than the Turm Palast it would be worth it.

yet another awful experience in turmpalast.. yesterday went to watch ice age 3 in kino 1. 20 minutes of ad went on smoothly. Just abt when the movie started, there was no video on the screen, just the audio. It went on for good 5 minutes. then we started to complain, and the lady at the counter promised that they wud restart the movie. Another 5 min gone there. But, the movie never restarted. It went on and the show ended!

Not to mention the absolute lack of air circulation in the kino. I only wish frankfurt had some other decent kinos which shows some english movies!

Console yourself with the small mercy that you can at least drink beer at the Turmpalast...

K

What about the rest of the small arthouse cinemas?

Orfeos fits into that category. They occasionally show films in english language, subtitled (OmU = Originalsprache mit Untertiteln).

Mal seh'n Kino also has an offer of english language films.

Check out the weekly program for "OmU".

This link lists all films shown in Frankfurt in original language. Pardon the french!

Does anyone know if there will be a cinema similar to the Turmpalast in Frankfurt again? The new "OV" film showing at Cinestar Metropolis is a joke.

In case anyone is thinking of going to the flicks!

F.Y.I

"Due to a technical malfunction the cinema is temporarily closed" is currently on the home page of the Cinestar Metropolis.

Please note:

The CineStar Metropolis is CLOSED because of technical problems.

Management hopes to reopen by Thursday 1 March.

The Metropolis cinema at Eschenheimer Tor has been closed since Monday because they have failed to meet fire safety regulation standards.

Those who have already bought tickets, will be refunded.

Does anyone know if there will be a cinema similar to the Turmpalast in Frankfurt again? The new "OV" film showing at Cinestar Metropolis is a joke.

My thoughts precisely. The self-proclaimes new "home of English-language cinema" in Frankfurt has fallen off badly after an OKish start, so their present difficulties do not inconvenience me in the slightest. I'll admit that, at least in my estimation, movies haven't been so great lately, but Cinestar has stopped making any effort to show anything surpassing the most obvious blockbusters.

So it's back to scanning the listings for OV or, more likely, OmU - Berger, Cinema/Harmonie, Mal Sehn - all too rarely, Orfeo's.

As horrible as Turm Palast was, I do miss it. The seats with the ripped upholstery, the carpets torn out, popcorn everywhere, the 1960s public school bathrooms or how they would sometimes forget to put on the movie after the commercials. It was quirky, a little annoying at times, but it was legendary.

P and I never go to Metropolis. We rather download movies and watch them at home. Also, most movies we like are not even being released in Germany.

We should rent a function room, with a screen and projector and have TT movie nights once a month.

If you check the schedule at the Berger Kino, they often have at least one movie running in English. It is a nice movie theater, with a cosy kind of neighborhood feel. Perhaps if they got more people coming to the English language films, they would have more of them?

Hi Hellie, the Citydome in Darmstadt shows films in English. Check out the web site.

www.kinos-darmstadt.de/

I have been to the City Dome in Darmstadt and it is great. They show the original films normally in the Festival theater. Opposite is also a nice little American restaurant as well where you can get something to eat.

http://www.kinos-darmstadt.de/

All the information is under originalversion im Festival. I recommend it there.

Cinestar Metropolis is now open again after weeks of being closed due to maintenance problems.

Quick update to an old thread but kino.de you can search your city and OV or OMU (original with under titles) and get a current list. Every multiplex now offers OV showings just a matter of finding the times.

Don't know if Turn Past is still around but we visited years ago and commented that it looked like the (forget the name now) cinema in Toronto and someone piped up "you know that place" turns out it was set of fellow Canadians. We were going to meetup after the movie but the babysitter called and they had to rush off. 

Perhaps technically correct but I have never been able to actually find an ov movie anywhere near me.  I saw a Yelp reviewer commenting on how the Kinopolis in Hanau has ov movies.  After many hours of searching off and on over the last few weeks, I've never found an original version movie.   I also tried a filtered search with kino.de but it found nothing other than Berlin and Munich.  If someone can point to an example perhaps I can figure out what I am doing wrong.