Rent Contract: Starting at 15th and Forced TG-Stellplatz?

13 posts in this topic

Hey TTers,

I would like to sign an unlimited rent contract for an apartment through a immobilienservice company that acts as intermediary with the landlord.

I have some simple questions:

1) The contract starts at 15th of the calendar month, but there is a clause that said rent of each month should be paid at last 5th days of the month. Another clause says before I move in I have to pay deposit and one month rent in advance.

Since it is clear I will be moving at 15th, do one usually pays the rent pro rata (i.e. half of month), or do I pay one month rent anyway, and in the next period, I will only have to pay half of it? What would be the convention?

2) There is this rent of TG-Stellplatz (parking place?) that is part of the total warm rent, but I do not even own a car, the real estate lady said I can just "sublet" the parking place and implies the parking place comes with apartment. I found this bizarre since I have been viewing several other apartment, and all of them make the parking place as an optional extra rent. 

Am I being unreasonable if I want not to rent the parking place? or this is something common in Germany?

Cheers,

Aachsoo

55 minutes ago, aachsoo said:

1) The contract starts at 15th of the calendar month, but there is a clause that said rent of each month should be paid at last 5th days of the month. Another clause says before I move in I have to pay deposit and one month rent in advance.

Since it is clear I will be moving at 15th, do one usually pays the rent pro rata (i.e. half of month), or do I pay one month rent anyway, and in the next period, I will only have to pay half of it? What would be the convention?

The convention would be to ask the landlord. Most probably you'll have to pay the half months rent and the deposit when you move in and then start to pay the full months rent in advance until the 5th of each month. But the only one who will know definitely is the landlord. 

2) There is this rent of TG-Stellplatz (parking place?)

A place in the underground parking, yes.

that is part of the total warm rent, but I do not even own a car, the real estate lady said I can just "sublet" the parking place and implies the parking place comes with apartment. I found this bizarre since I have been viewing several other apartment, and all of them make the parking place as an optional extra rent. 

Am I being unreasonable if I want not to rent the parking place? or this is something common in Germany?

Yes, it is a common thing. I don't think you will get the flat without taking the TG-Stellplatz if that's part one the contract. Most ppl are happy about a personal parking spot and those who don't need it rent it out. It's as simple as that.

23 minutes ago, someonesdaughter said:

The convention would be to ask the landlord. Most probably you'll have to pay the half months rent and the deposit when you move in and then start to pay the full months rent in advance until the 5th of each month. But the only one who will know definitely is the landlord. 

A place in the underground parking, yes.

Yes, it is a common thing. I don't think you will get the flat without taking the TG-Stellplatz if that's part one the contract. Most ppl are happy about a personal parking spot and those who don't need it rent it out. It's as simple as that.

Thanks for the reply. 

OK, The reason I posted this first in TT is so as not to ask the landlord stupid questions, and turns out it's a good thing I make a post!

In any case these inconveniences are not deal breaker, so I can live with them.

Cheers

I have not seen apartments here with parking that was truly "optional".  One thing that is becoming common,  though, is to draft a separate contract for the parking place, as this makes rent increases on the flat easier, and there are no regulations about increases to parking "rentals".  It opens up more options for increases in the future, is my understanding.

I'd be careful about the separate contract situation.  If you want to take one of those make sure you can cancel (or refuse) the parking contract without affecting your apartment contract.

18 minutes ago, lisa13 said:

I have not seen apartments here with parking that was truly "optional".  One thing that is becoming common,  though, is to draft a separate contract for the parking place, as this makes rent increases on the flat easier, and there are no regulations about increases to parking "rentals".  It opens up more options for increases in the future, is my understanding.

I'd be careful about the separate contract situation.  If you want to take one of those make sure you can cancel (or refuse) the parking contract without affecting your apartment contract.

I see, yeah more reason to just accept the the contract as is and rent out the parking space later, seems to be no big deal.

I don't think it's a big deal if the apartment and rent are ok with you. 

my apartment came with a similar deal, I was less than enthused but accepted it, and in the end I needed to get a car, and it has been SO GREAT to having parking.  

eta: garage parking in my neighborhood is now going for 70-100 euros a month.  if you decide to rent it, it might also be worthwhile depending on neighborhood.

1 hour ago, lisa13 said:

I don't think it's a big deal if the apartment and rent are ok with you. 

my apartment came with a similar deal, I was less than enthused but accepted it, and in the end I needed to get a car, and it has been SO GREAT to having parking.  

eta: garage parking in my neighborhood is now going for 70-100 euros a month.  if you decide to rent it, it might also be worthwhile depending on neighborhood.

Eh can you really rent out the garage higher than original rent price? I mean the legality.

well you are not going to have a separate contract for the garage so I think it's rather moot - you don't have a "price" for it

but even if you did have a separate contract, as far as I know there are zero controls on pricing for garage space.  People sublet apartments for more than they pay, so I don't think there's any reason you can't do that with garage space.

1 minute ago, lisa13 said:

well you are not going to have a separate contract for the garage so I think it's rather moot - you don't have a "price" for it

but even if you did have a separate contract, as far as I know there are zero controls on pricing for garage space.  People sublet apartments for more than they pay, so I don't think there's any reason you can't do that with garage space.

In the apartment contract it is actually explicitly mentioned along with Grundmietzin and Nebenkosten. I do have a ''price'' in this case.

LOL okay, if it's legal and the demands are high, then why not, but I honestly feel a bit dickish doing that. ^_^ not sure if the vermieter/immobilien company would be happy.

Please make sure that you are allowed to rent the parking space to someone. Read the contract carefully.  I know of someone who was in a similar situtation to you, wanted the flat but had no car. The owner of the apartment block said he would not allow the parking space to be rented out to someone who was not a tenant. The parking space was in front of the building and the owner said he didn’t want any strange cars on his property. 

2 hours ago, White Rose of Yorkshire said:

Please make sure that you are allowed to rent the parking space to someone. Read the contract carefully.  I know of someone who was in a similar situtation to you, wanted the flat but had no car. The owner of the apartment block said he would not allow the parking space to be rented out to someone who was not a tenant. The parking space was in front of the building and the owner said he didn’t want any strange cars on his property. 

If it is an underground parking space, where a transponder/password required, it may not be possible to sublet the space, due to security??

9 hours ago, aachsoo said:

if it's legal and the demands are high, then why not, but I honestly feel a bit dickish doing that.

suit yourself.

I suggest you join the mieterverein and ask them about these things if you really want to be sure.  As far as I know having separate pricing for the apartment and the garage in the same contract is generally unwirksam (for the landlord).  In addition, any specifications about how you use the space (subletting rules, etc) should be in the contract or hausordnung. 

You should really understand the contract you have.  Go to the mieterverein.

9 hours ago, RedMidge said:

If it is an underground parking space, where a transponder/password required, it may not be possible to sublet the space, due to security??

12 hours ago, White Rose of Yorkshire said:

The one that suggests renting the parking space was the landlord (well the real-estate mediator technically, but they act and sign as vermieter). They say to rent it out to other tenant in the same building, some of the apt doesn' come with parking space, so not exactly stranger and they already have access to the building anyway.

4 hours ago, lisa13 said:

suit yourself.

I suggest you join the mieterverein and ask them about these things if you really want to be sure.  As far as I know having separate pricing for the apartment and the garage in the same contract is generally unwirksam (for the landlord).  In addition, any specifications about how you use the space (subletting rules, etc) should be in the contract or hausordnung. 

You should really understand the contract you have.  Go to the mieterverein.

Yes, I don't know about joining mieterverein at this stage, maybe later, but I will read the fine prints to better understand the contract.