Offered a job in IT field and I need some help

9 posts in this topic

Hi,

So general information about me : 25 years from north Africa and no German language skills.

I was invited last summer for a web development internship in Stuttgart area, I believe that I was really good even it was my first internship.

After that I just back to my country to complete my study, 3 months later I received another invitation from the same company to attend my graduation internship and  I have been told that I will receive a job offer to work with the company.

I Just received my job offer 33K indefinitely, and from January 2019 it will be increased to 43k (no trial period, and 2 months notice period).

My questions are splitted into two categories:

Legal:

1/ As 33k is under the blue card threshold. Can I know the visa duration that I should expect (My work contract is indefinitely) ? (I guess in the blue card case its 4 years)

2/ What will happen in case I lost my job and without reaching the blue card threshold? (I just read in the internet , if you are a blue card holder than usually you receive a 3 months to look for another job)

Regarding the contract:

1/ do you think that its very low ?  

2/ Should I negotiate this offer ? The company told me that they are facing some problems now but they didnt tell me that its not negociable.

3/ Is it common in Germany to offer 10k Salary Increment in just 6 months ?

Won't respond to the "Legal" because I don't know, but if you work in IT and have a valid work permit, you shouldn't have too much trouble right now finding a job unless you really screw up.  Not speaking German will make it much harder, but many companies are really scraping to find employees right now.  

1) Seems low, but this is your first job and you don't speak German so that will play a big role.  If you do take this job, learn German as quickly and as fluently as possible. 

2) In my experience, most offers are not very negotiable.  You can negotiate on things like start date but probably not too much else.  Maybe others have a different experience?

3) Yes, that is the "Probezeit".  Very common.  Also they can and will let you go much easier in the 6 months if you don't work out.  

8 hours ago, loumi said:

I Just received my job offer 33K indefinitely, and from January 2019 it will be increased to 43k (no trial period, and 2 months notice period).

As a graduate of a foreign university you are subject the Arbeitsbedingungsprüfung and you might not be able to obtain a work permit for such a low salary.

8 hours ago, loumi said:

1/ do you think that its very low ?  

Yes.

8 hours ago, loumi said:

2/ Should I negotiate this offer ? 

Yes.

8 hours ago, loumi said:

3/ Is it common in Germany to offer 10k Salary Increment in just 6 months ?

No.

Unfortunately, some KMUs have being using the bait and switch strategy with foreign workers by offering attractive contracts and then after the employee starts working claim they can't afford the position anymore. Very often foreign workers accept lower salaries to keep their jobs (and risk their residence permits by not notifying the authorities of the change of conditions).

16 minutes ago, engelchen said:

As a graduate of a foreign university you are subject the Arbeitsbedingungsprüfung and you might not be able to obtain a work permit for such a low salary.

I managed to get a 3 year work permit without any problems when my salary was about €38000. I too was a foreign graduate, but I was already working in Germany for 2 years previous on a Working Holiday Visa and I could speak German, so that helped. My then employer sponsored/supported my application. This was in 2012 in Hessen. The whole process took about 2 months.

Then changed employers and moved back to Munich, so had to apply again for a new permit (since the previous permit was linked to my previous employer). My salary was then about €43000. Again no issues. Got it approved in 2 weeks.

I don´t think the OP will have any issues with getting a permit as long as the employer is willing to support the application.

Good luck.

1 hour ago, aries6 said:

I managed to get a 3 year work permit without any problems when my salary was about €38000. I too was a foreign graduate, but I was already working in Germany for 2 years previous on a Working Holiday Visa and I could speak German, so that helped. My then employer sponsored/supported my application. This was in 2012 in Hessen.

I don't see how you can compare 38k in 2012 with only 33k in 2019. I hope the OP comes back to post his experience when the time comes. 

Try to get a relocation package. It's a one time fee for them and a big burden off your shoulders. This would include flight, removal service, language courses, temporary housing when you first arrive, driving school, help with translation/document filing, etc. Good luck!

On 3/9/2018, 10:58:36, loumi said:

My questions are splitted into two categories:

Legal:

1/ As 33k is under the blue card threshold. Can I know the visa duration that I should expect (My work contract is indefinitely) ? (I guess in the blue card case its 4 years)

Talked with an Indian colleague today and he told me that as your degree was not obtained in Germany, the limit is actually much higher, above 50K€.

For shortage occupations like IT, the threshhold is reduced to € 39.624/ Yearly gross

Anyway you can apply for a normal work Permit, one of my Engineer friend from non EU got one, his salary was below threshold and University education was also not from Germany. I think he had to get validation from Labor Office but it was no problem.

Other idea would be to negotiate your salary upto the threshold level, saying that you need it for Visa purpose. If the Company likes you they might give that raise as it is a legitimate reason.

I advise you to go through the Official Sources on Blue Cards, like this post Ministry for Migration's http://www.bamf.de/EN/Infothek/FragenAntworten/BlaueKarteEU/blaue-karte-eu-node.html

The Minimum Salary for the Year 2018 is 40.560 Euro Yearly. So, it makes sense that you inform your Company to raise their offer so that you won't face difficulties with Employment Office later on, like @MechEng advised.

Additionally asking for a relocation benefits(as @AlexCLE mentioned) is sensible, since these expenses you incur moving from your Home Country is considerably higher that a local candidate would have to shell out. This is relevant here, since you could be without a job anytime in the Probation Period, resulting in other expenses for you.

Do mention these things when you discuss with your contact person (or HR) company, get a feel of how they listen to these points(a larger company won't see much difficulty, but a smaller one might be taken aback) and depending on how they take it and how much you are ready to take the risks, negotiate. But, be ready for compromises as well.

Remember, asking(in an open minded way) won't kill your chances, if they reject it, you can still say yes.