31 posts in this topic

So less the 100 days until world cup starts. I will buy a UHD or 4k tv for watching but my question is what channels or streaming site will have 4 k UHD format? 

Sky, Dazn, ARD, ZDF or maybe FIFA web site itself? 

I would love to have English commentary but if it is not possible here so be it. 

I have 50mbps connection so any idea's would be great. 

Hi Positive,

I am looking forward to this years world cup as well. In regards to watching it in 4k or UHD I do not think this will be possible. I have Bundesliga package with SKY, which offers; 2 BLiga most games, Austrian League, MLS. and the only time they show games in UHD is after the fact, they re-broadcast the best games of each week in UHD the following week or weeks after.I have the full package from SKY;Mmovies, Sports, regular TV stuff, On-Demand, SKY Go(can watch on tablets and cellphone) for 34.99euro a month.  All live BLiga games are in HD on SKY, in German only.  I do have the option to shut off commentary and only sound from the stadium which I often due casue the play by play commentary sucks. Side note: due to anti-monopolization laws BLiga a few years ago had to offer broadcast right to other Broadcasters, therefore Eurosport offers a BLiga package that shows a few live games every week for 4.99euro, obviously these games are not in the SKY package. I do not think that the typical program providers like ARD or ZDF will offer 4K UHD or even HD for that matter. Currently I have been watching all Champions league games on ZDF and they are in normal broadcast quality. Maybe, and hopefully,  FIFA or someone else will off a package online streaming with UHD or 4K, in multiple languages, that would be great but so far I have neither heard from friends or seen any advertising online to that fact. If you hear something let me know. In regards to speed sounds like you have enough, for HD requirements are at least 25mbps, I believe that UHD 4K are also around there.

I don't think any VPN could connect at the speeds needed for UHD so we have to hope someone here in Germany streams it. The new EU rules on digital services kicks in soon. I will write to Euro Sport and see if they answer :) 

At the moment DVD-T2 is not broadcasting any UHD/4K channels.  I believe that Spain is planning to start this in 2020 and this will probably be the first country to do so.  But even then the first phase will not support > 60fps or HDR.  And of course each UHD channel needs more bandwidth which means that less channels can be broadcast.

These means that only satellite, cable, or internet is cable of receiving this at the moment.  Often, the main broadcasters that use these tend to focus on premium subscriptions, such as Sky.  But these such of providers often don't have the rights for the world cup.  Many countries actually have laws which mean that such events must be shown on terrestrial TV and/or made available for free.  So it is not in the interest of these broadcasters to purchase the rights if they can't charge for them, which is what they do with the Bundesliga, Premiership etc.

In Germany Sky is current broadcasting in UHD, but this is actually provided via internet, not satellite. RTL are about to launch a channel via satellite , and D-Telekom are also going to launch in 2018 (I'm not sure if they have already).

A full list of UHD broadcasters worldwide can be found here, but this is out of date!

https://ultrahdforum.org/resources/list-of-commercial-uhd-or-4k-services-that-are-live/

UHD is also the same as HD in that it is a disruptive technology.  So you need the whole end-to-end process in UHD to get the benefit.  So filming in UHD (such as the world cup) is often see as the first step.  With TVs and devices coming second (such as UHD-Blu-ray) and broadcasting next.

The broadcasters have been slow adopting the UHD standard when compared to HD, I think partly because of cost and because of changing standards.  UHD with HDR and 120 fps is seen by some as really the minimum to be offered.  And I believe that Netflix and Amazon have even cut back on the amount of content that they offer in UHD.

The Tokyo Olympics is actually planned to be filmed in 8k! 

To put this is perspective then;

• HD = 2 Megapixels
  • UHD = 8.2 megapixels
  • 8k = 33.1 megapixels

But this is because the Japanese broadcaster NHK is a world leader in new technology, so they will use this as a test-bed for the technology.  But there are only a few TV displays currently capable of showing this.

I would say that if you intend to purchase a UHD TV to watch the world cup, you will be disappointed.  But this is the future and if you need a new TV anyway, then getting only which supports UHD with HDR is the way to go.  I am considering the same.

10 minutes ago, dj_jay_smith said:

The broadcasters have been slow adopting the UHD standard when compared to HD

IIRC it took German broadcasters over a decade to switch to HD compared to the U.S. By that comparison, UHD implementation is moving at a blinding pace.

The difference this time around is fast Internet, which makes it possible to get UHD content with just the right receiver - you don't necessarily need to upgrade the broadcasters or media players. It solves the chicken-and-egg problem they had with the HD rollout.

2 hours ago, El Jeffo said:

IIRC it took German broadcasters over a decade to switch to HD compared to the U.S. By that comparison, UHD implementation is moving at a blinding pace.

The difference this time around is fast Internet, which makes it possible to get UHD content with just the right receiver - you don't necessarily need to upgrade the broadcasters or media players. It solves the chicken-and-egg problem they had with the HD rollout.

The US was faster because in Europe the broadcasters decided to first switch from analogue -> digital and then later to HD.  Where as in the US they introduced HD at the same time as they started the digital switch over.  This was not just in Germany but most of Europe.

Although you are right that the internet makes UHD delivery easier, UHD across all platforms is still often a premium on top of the premium packages.  So for example with Sky UK and BT UK you have to pay extra for UHD, and they don't really broadcast much in it.  Plus it only works with the higher end boxes, which again cost more money.  This is not a technology limitation but a commercial decision.

And even for Netflix you have to pay for the platinum package.

I think Amazon had UHD for no extra, but I'm not sure if this is still the case or not.

I pay enough money for my TV subscriptions, and the prices keep going up and yet I get less and less for my money.  And to be honest I have now started cutting back, and will probably continue to do so as I don't get as much value out of it as I used to, and have less time to watch things such as football.  So although I would like UHD, I will not pay extra for it.  Although, if I get a new TV then I would buy a UHD TV with HDR.  

It's OK watching the odd sporting event or film in UHD, but to really get the benefit you need normal TV also to be broadcast this way.  And there is really not many broadcasters who have firm plans to do this.  The BBC have so far only really done a few trials with iPlayer and have no firm plans or dates for UHD, and they are normally one of the leaders in the market.

I gave my son and his wife a 55" 4k tv for Xmas in 2016. They enjoy many shows and movies and sports in UHD over there. It looks amazing - I believe it is a Vizio.

Sky seems the best bet but they are don't advertising on their site yet. You would think this would sell a lot of TV's and subscription on sky ticket or sky Receiver. 

I will continue the search   

10 minutes ago, positivethinking said:

Sky seems the best bet but they are don't advertising on their site yet. You would think this would sell a lot of TV's and subscription on sky ticket or sky Receiver. 

I will continue the search   

Contact SpiderPig, he can give you some pointers.

Thank you for contacting our support team again.

From you query, I understand that you wish to know whether the world cup in Russia will be broadcasted on Eurosportplayer or not.

I am afraid to bring it to your attention that due to broadcasting rights, Eurosport will not be able to live stream the world cup games at all.

I hope this helps! Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Kind regards,

Robin

Guys, watching the football World championship over a stream is a no go in Germany. It doesn't work "live".

These internet streams have a delay of at least 10 seconds and up to 90 seconds!

So it might happen that the whole street (watching over satellite with an insignificant delay) is roaring like an earthquake because Germany has scored a penalty goal when you haven't even seen the causing foul yet... 

The live experience is absolutely spoiled, no matter how great the resolution of the (streamed) picture is...