2 questions on filling out the Fragebogen zur steuerliche Erfassung

8 posts in this topic

I am starting a really small job translating. This is my first job in Berlin (I have been a stay at home since I got here). I never got a steuernummer and need to fill out the form to get one. I haven't begun to work yet and haven't issued any invoices. I did get a contract at the end of February stating the length of time I will be working and my compensation. I did go to the Finanzamt before getting the contract and received a form but needed help filling it out and now It is ready except I am not sure what date to put in the 'Beginn der Tätigkeit' line. Would it be ok to put the date of the contract I received at the end of February even though it is before I gave in the form? One more question, would I need to put my name and address as the company name and address or is what I am doing not considered starting a company? thanks in advance. 

3 hours ago, berliner2007 said:

I did go to the Finanzamt before getting the contract and received a form but needed help filling it out and now It is ready except I am not sure what date to put in the 'Beginn der Tätigkeit' line. Would it be ok to put the date of the contract I received at the end of February even though it is before I gave in the form?

Yes.

3 hours ago, berliner2007 said:

One more question, would I need to put my name and address as the company name and address or is what I am doing not considered starting a company? thanks in advance. 

You are starting a company, you will be an `Einzelunternehmer', your first and family name is the companies name and your address is the companies address. 

You can actually add a description to your "company name" but it must be a clear reference to your services and it must still include your name in full i.e. "John Doe Translations" is OK, but not simply "Top Translations" or "Doe Translations".

I wrote a pretty detailed guide on how to fill the Fragebogen zur steuerlichen Erfassung.

The "before you begin" section answers your questions. As a translator, you will likely be a Freiberufler, not a Gewerbe. Therefore you don't necessarily need a company name as you are selling your own skills as a freelancer. I can confirm the other users' answers, and updated the guide to include this information.

As a translator you are a freelancer and do not need to form any kind of company.

7 hours ago, onemark said:

As a translator you are a freelancer and do not need to form any kind of company.

Every freelancer is a company – a so called Einzelunternehmer, unless he or she chooses a different legal form (e.g. GmbH, UG etc.). And because the freelancer is the Einzelunternehmer, he/she is liable with all of his/her assets.