2 questions on filling out the Fragebogen zur steuerliche Erfassung

12 posts in this topic

I am starting a really small job translating. This is my first job in Berlin (I have been a stay at home since I got here). I never got a steuernummer and need to fill out the form to get one. I haven't begun to work yet and haven't issued any invoices. I did get a contract at the end of February stating the length of time I will be working and my compensation. I did go to the Finanzamt before getting the contract and received a form but needed help filling it out and now It is ready except I am not sure what date to put in the 'Beginn der Tätigkeit' line. Would it be ok to put the date of the contract I received at the end of February even though it is before I gave in the form? One more question, would I need to put my name and address as the company name and address or is what I am doing not considered starting a company? thanks in advance. 

3 hours ago, berliner2007 said:

I did go to the Finanzamt before getting the contract and received a form but needed help filling it out and now It is ready except I am not sure what date to put in the 'Beginn der Tätigkeit' line. Would it be ok to put the date of the contract I received at the end of February even though it is before I gave in the form?

Yes.

3 hours ago, berliner2007 said:

One more question, would I need to put my name and address as the company name and address or is what I am doing not considered starting a company? thanks in advance. 

You are starting a company, you will be an `Einzelunternehmer', your first and family name is the companies name and your address is the companies address. 

You can actually add a description to your "company name" but it must be a clear reference to your services and it must still include your name in full i.e. "John Doe Translations" is OK, but not simply "Top Translations" or "Doe Translations".

I wrote a pretty detailed guide on how to fill the Fragebogen zur steuerlichen Erfassung.

The "before you begin" section answers your questions. As a translator, you will likely be a Freiberufler, not a Gewerbe. Therefore you don't necessarily need a company name as you are selling your own skills as a freelancer. I can confirm the other users' answers, and updated the guide to include this information.

7 hours ago, onemark said:

As a translator you are a freelancer and do not need to form any kind of company.

Every freelancer is a company – a so called Einzelunternehmer, unless he or she chooses a different legal form (e.g. GmbH, UG etc.). And because the freelancer is the Einzelunternehmer, he/she is liable with all of his/her assets. 

Hi, I also have a couple of questions as I'm trying to fill out the Fragebogen zur Steuerlichen Erfassung.

Section 3 - questions 110-116 estimated income for year 1 and 2.

Line 112 - Does it mean net profit, not gross income?

Does it mean from now until the end of the tax year? or does it mean an entire 12 months for year 1?

Line 115 - should I include income made from a rental property in the UK?

Line 117  - does it mean all expenses (office costs, health insurance, equipment, tax accountant etc?)

Section 7

Line 132 - Should the estimated income only include freelancer income or should it also count income from UK rental property? Again, is this just from now until the end of the tax year, or an entire 12 months.

Section 2.6 - it's asking if you have been self employed before, does it mean in any country? Or does it mean have you freelanced in Germany before? If it's asking whether you freelanced in germany, but you lived in the UK - then should I feel in UK tax details here?

The link to the form can be found here: 

1 hour ago, melba said:

Section 3 - questions 110-116 estimated income for year 1 and 2.

Line 112 - Does it mean net profit, not gross income?

It means profit before tax. 

Does it mean from now until the end of the tax year? or does it mean an entire 12 months for year 1?

The German tax year is the relevant variable.

Line 115 - should I include income made from a rental property in the UK?

Yes, because you whole worldwide income is taxable in Germany and with the information in the questionnaire, the tax office wants to know how high your income is likely to be (in order to determine appropriate tax prepayments, if necessary). 

Line 117  - does it mean all expenses (office costs, health insurance, equipment, tax accountant etc?)

No, „Sonderausgaben“ only means Sonderausgaben. 

Sonderausgaben include pension expenses for old-age provision, health and long-term care insurance and other insurances, payments into a Riester contract, maintenance payments to the ex-partner, church tax, costs for caring for children, for initial vocational training, school fees and donations. 

Sonderausgaben don't include any business expenses. 

Section 7

Line 132 - Should the estimated income only include freelancer income or should it also count income from UK rental property? Again, is this just from now until the end of the tax year, or an entire 12 months.

It should also count income from UK rental property as indicated in line 115 and tax year, again.

Section 2.6 - it's asking if you have been self employed before, does it mean in any country?

Only in Germany. 

And just for the record:

On 7.5.2018, 12:18:12, onemark said:

No, we are not.

We are a businesses - yes, but we are not companies.

Yes, you are. That's why the legal form is 'Einzelunternehmer'. The company status is tied to the person of the Einzelunternehmer. 

I hope someone might help.
I missed out that i need to sent the form 'Fragebogen zur steuerlichen Erfassung' and i been freelancing for the last year.
can i send it now? and specified that i started working as a freelancer from last year?

You should be able to.

Just say that you overlooked the reporting requirement last time and apologise briefly but not abjectly.

And don't forget to add the precise date you started freelancing. They will require this information.

They may also require you annual income to date. If so, have this information to hand but don't supply it unless they specifically ask for it.