Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Who will buy a subscription to The Local?

6 posts in this topic

I noticed The Local throw up a paywall on some articles.  Really?  Are they kidding themselves, or am I giving them too little credit? 

I find it convenient to glance over an English language collection of almost-current news about Germany, but not enough to pay for any content I've ever seen on The Local.

And you?

TheLocal.jpg

Short answer: Nope

Long answer: Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooope

you can read more about it, along with lots of other hilarious tidbits**, here.

** The last post is even one in which Uncle Bob breaks his own rule concerning swearing... :P

Actually, don't apologise.  The other thread got way off topic and hence has been closed.  So now this is a valid thread on the topic.

Oh I would willingly pay 100 Euros a year to access articles like "Ten things you love about Germany" in this crayzeee happening place.

Or perhaps on second thoughts...

The problem is that Google and FB are sucking up the vast majority of advertising on the web leaving just crumbs for the media sites. For smaller sites and blogs the most common way to make money is via affiliate sales. A few specialty sites like Ben Thompson (stratechery) make a great living charging subscriptions fees- I gladly pay a 100 bucks a year to subscribe to his content. This leaves The local in the position of smaller city newspapers. The only way for them to survive is by ignoring big issues and focusing 100% on local issues. It's hard to know if there is enough "local" content for them to survive.