Leaving Big4 to learn German. Will that help me with job opportunities later?

32 posts in this topic

11 minutes ago, sos-the-rope said:

Why worry? Presumably "even" an Assistant III (whatever that is) at a big 4 still earns far more than the average wage in Germany, or possibly also in the USA. So is money an issue? Probably not?

Even someone on minimum wage in germany earns more than the worldwide median average wage so why does anyone worry about money?

Maybe its because life isnt that simple, being above average is nice but doesnt necessarily translate to a life of luxury nor does it necessarily mean the work is fullfilling or satisfying for the employee

On 6.3.2018, 14:14:59, GenG said:

I have already taken a "demotion" to move here to Germany, and I am afraid that if I leave this job now, I am taking on a lot of risk that 1. I will not be able to learn German well enough (kinda as you said) 2. I will not be able to find work in industry 3. I will have this resume gap which will continue hurting my chances in the future. Those risks are what I am worried about, but then again, can I really better my situation anyhow without taking risk?! I look around me some days and I think: "Can anything really be worse than this?"

I just tried flipping the coin as a quick thought experiment. It sounds a bit different:

The job I took in Germany isn't working out for me. I am afraid that if I don't leave this job, I'll be missing out on opportunities to:

1. learn German to a higher standard than I'd otherwise have the chance to;
  2. look for another job, study for new qualifications, or try volunteering while I decide what to do next;
  3. enrich my resume by choosing to try something new, however scary that might feel.

These opportunities are what I'm excited about. And anyway, can I really better my situation if I don't embrace them? I look around me some days and I think: "Any change to my current situation will make something better. What will the first change be?"

One of your big assumptions is that if you learn German and German accountancy you'll find a job in a German company where you'll be happier than where you are now.  You do realize your big4 companies compete with their german counterparts and thus, probably, have a similar work environment?

If I were a German accounting company and you showed up at my door, I'd see your value in representing the company overseas, as in the USA.  Ironic.

Your best bet is to work at number 2 of the 4 big companies and see if the culture is more to your liking....if not, try number 3 and then 4.  By the time you're done, your husband and you will be out of country and you'll have a wealth of valuable (transferable) experience.

If your career is the guide to your decision making, and, as it seems, you apear to be returning back to the US in N years (you mention 'a couple of years'), you need to make the decisions that your potential employees there will expect you to make!  Ask the questions of yourself that you will be asked upon your return and answer them creating a number of different scenarios, one of them being, for example, that you have resigned your job in Germany and taken two years to study to the level of proficiency that one could describe as fluent (it will take longer).  Try and play the part of employer and interviewee and convince yourself of the answers.

Although it depends on how long you will be here, I would suggest sticking with the job and to study for your profession, as I guess in the long-term that will provide you with the opportunity to re-enter the great American work force and will better answer what I think are your greater concerns.  And of course split the commute by moving home, as Panda suggested.  I commuted for five hours each day for two years and only survived because I knew it was coming to an end.

If you are committed to Deutschland, however, for any length of time, then it's a different story.  Quit your job, study to C2 and take a professional level qualification here in Germany in your area of expertise, and give yourself 2/3 years to do it.  Ganz einfach.

1 hour ago, artrocks said:

If your career is the guide to your decision making, and, as it seems, you apear to be returning back to the US in N years (you mention 'a couple of years'), you need to make the decisions that your potential employees there will expect you to make!  Ask the questions of yourself that you will be asked upon your return and answer them creating a number of different scenarios, one of them being, for example, that you have resigned your job in Germany and taken two years to study to the level of proficiency that one could describe as fluent (it will take longer).  Try and play the part of employer and interviewee and convince yourself of the answers.

Although it depends on how long you will be here, I would suggest sticking with the job and to study for your profession, as I guess in the long-term that will provide you with the opportunity to re-enter the great American work force and will better answer what I think are your greater concerns.  And of course split the commute by moving home, as Panda suggested.  I commuted for five hours each day for two years and only survived because I knew it was coming to an end.

If you are committed to Deutschland, however, for any length of time, then it's a different story.  Quit your job, study to C2 and take a professional level qualification here in Germany in your area of expertise, and give yourself 2/3 years to do it.  Ganz einfach.

5 hours commute for 2 years. My hat goes off

1 hour ago, diding said:

5 hours commute for 2 years. My hat goes off

'Twas worth every cent... or should that be Euro...

How often does one get the opportunity outside their career to take time off to really do something enriching? I’d say embrace the chance, do it now while you‘re young and not with kids. Maybe you’ll return back to the US and not be at the same salary level as your peers who didn‘t take time off, but you‘ll have other experience to show for it. 

1 hour ago, artrocks said:

'Twas worth every cent... or should that be Euro...

U mean your job? :unsure:

Just my opinion based on my experience but A2 to C1 in 7 months seems almost impossible.  Perhaps if you are a language savant and spend 50 hours a week studying.   Even then at C1 it would be hard in the accounting field

Hi, I wonder if there's any updates regarding this post. I am really curious about how things go since I am currently facing a similar situation.

10 hours ago, janetking said:

Hi, I wonder if there's any updates regarding this post. I am really curious about how things go since I am currently facing a similar situation.

Normally these threads hang around for years unanswered...!

On ‎11‎/‎27‎/‎2018‎ ‎8‎:‎34‎:‎48‎, sos-the-rope said:

Normally these threads hang around for years unanswered...!

Thanks for the reply. Yeah I guess the poster doesn't log on that often.

On 11/29/2018, 2:27:22, janetking said:

Thanks for the reply. Yeah I guess the poster doesn't log on that often.

Seriously though, in the same situation keep your job and just learn on the side.