Calls from Strange Numbers - Telephone Scams

148 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Alungatu said:

No, this is a work phone (not personal)

Doesn't matter, call the mobile provider hotline. Only they have the necessary technical information to tell you what happens.

I have never heard of something like this, and it seems the other forum users neither.

I have one idea, however. Are you subscribed to Cell Broadcast? To check this, go to your SMS program and check its options.

5 hours ago, Alungatu said:

It's ringing once and close. All the times, different numbers and not only when I pass border.. but random hours, everyday...

There is a known scam where you get one ring from a number trying to get you to call back but then it's usually a foreign number which costs a lot of money for you.  I have never heard of a scam like that with German numbers.  I guess your number ended up on some list.  As for how they got your friends number, I guess it's possible that you have a virus or a scam app on your phone that collects your contacts and shares them with these guys.  

Here is part of those numbers (deleted known phone numbers from History)

I added them to Block.. I'll see if there will be more or not.

Screenshot_2018-04-30-21-42-13.png

So yesterday I received a call from "Vodafone contract extension team".   They asked me if I was happy with the Service and wanted to extend my contract and i could get a new free phone.

I was suspicious as although I am a Vodafone customer everything is managed through my company and in the 7+ years my company have used them I have never before received such a call.

So I asked said to them "if you are Vodafone, then who am I".  Knowing that if they really were Vodafone then they would be able to provide details about my contract such as my name, employer (who own/manage the contract) etc.  

The woman ignore me and carried on.  I asked again but was again ignored, so I hung up.

So be careful people!

On 9/8/2016, 6:05:23, RedMidge said:

They count on us all being so curious, that we cannot let  a phone ring!

They count on people signing contracts and then being amazed when they get phone calls. Simple as...

17 hours ago, dj_jay_smith said:

So yesterday I received a call from "Vodafone contract extension team".   They asked me if I was happy with the Service and wanted to extend my contract and i could get a new free phone.

I had almost exactly the same call last week except they claimed to be from 1und1, who I have my mobile contract with and the woman caller did know my name. Same offer though of extending the contract and a new phone. I told her I always made any changes to the contract directly myself online, I never ever buy anything on the telephone, was she really from 1und1 and didn't they know cold calling is illegal? She continued to claim to be from 1und1 and that I could reduce my monthly charge and get a new phone. Told her I was not interested and asked not to be called again, she sounded disappointed and hung up with a polite goodbye.

Still not sure if it was really from 1und1, the number looked good but that can be faked. For sure on checking the 1und1 website it looks like I still have the best deal going!

Just receive this strange SMS.

Gestern haben Sie eine Kreditanfrage begonnen. Beenden Sie hier Ihre Anfrage: https://bit.ly/2LNE3S9 Gruß, smava | SMS-Service beenden: KEINTOPZINS an 32123

I definitely did not start a Smava request and I do not need a credit so it must be some kind of scam. Anypne heard anything about this?

Actually, yes. I got some stupid smava ad in my Facebook feed and complained to FB About it and now I get bombarded by increasingly desperate credit offers.

Sometimes I hate modern tech.

6 minutes ago, slammer said:

Actually, yes. I got some stupid smava ad in my Facebook feed and complained to FB About it and now I get bombarded by increasingly desperate credit offers.

Sometimes I hate modern tech.

I get bombarded by Facebook ads for things I already have, such as American Express Cards, N26 accounts, the Curve card. It's no less annoying!

Got an email a few weeks ago from Netflix saying they were having trouble with my account, the payment was not going through, and to ensure continued access would I please provide my bank information again under the following link. 

Except it wasn't from Netflix, and that should be obvious to anyone these days.

Your bank, your internet or phone provider, your Netflix account, your iTunes account, basically any organisation you have dealings with online, will NEVER contact you and ask to for sensitive info. 

Do not respond.  Contact the company being questioned with detailed information on who is impersonating them online.  The better ones follow it up.  

I got the same only this was from Netflix (I hope) my Netflix stopped working at the same time I got the mail. I then went to the Chat and asked About it. This was a genuine mail from them and I had to give the billing Information again, not over mail, but directly on the Website. Even then I had a funny Feeling in my gut but it worked out and Netflix was back up and running.

They did however give me temporary Access until I got Things sorted.

ok what about calls that only show "private number"?

I just picked up my phone to discover someone called me half an hour ago from "private number".  of course I can't call them back, even if I wanted to

why would anyone do this?  why would anyone answer a call like this?  what the hell?

32 minutes ago, lisa13 said:

I just picked up my phone to discover someone called me half an hour ago from "private number".  of course I can't call them back, even if I wanted to

why would anyone do this?  why would anyone answer a call like this?  what the hell?

Some workmen/technicians have told us they put their cell phones on private, so they do not get too many calls. They usually work for a company, and want the customer to call the main office!

well that might make sense if you knew it was them that called you :)

just chatting with a friend about this (German).  apparently for some the idea may be to block the number so the recipient, who you're pretty sure doesn't to talk to you, will be tricked into answering!?

there is a culture gap here.  I do not answer the phone unless I know who it is.  If I can reverse look up the number I will call them back if it seems legit.  Anyway having missed it, it's just a complete no-go.  So strange.

I don't want to say this, but this is going to bug me!

I agree- never answer the phone unless the call display shows who it is, or they leave a message. Just too many scams, begging or  sales calls.

On 05/07/2019, 17:05:44, lisa13 said:

When my mother-in-law calls it always comes up "private number"  so I don't answer it :D