Calls from Strange Numbers - Telephone Scams

148 posts in this topic

Same here. On Thursday I also missed a call from Guinea. Haven´t bothered to call back though.

The Federal Agency Network or Bundesnetzagentur has implemented new directives and until 15th of January 2018, providers must build in a free of charge price information about these very expensive ping calls from exotic countries (German only): http://www.faz.net/aktuell/finanzen/meine-finanzen/bundesnetzagentur-verfuegt-ansage-gegen-ping-calls-15324059.html

That makes it a very unattractive business model for telephone scammers. Yeah, eat that!

Ok.. So one of my budies has just turned up and is crapping his pants...

About 3 months ago he got a call from a company called Marketing online Deutschland or something simmilar..

They told him about their marketing stategies and aske if he was interested in a rep calling and seeing him... He said OK and gave his adress..

2 days later.. another call... Rep cant make it.. but they can offer a 50% discount would he like to see the rep...   He said OK...

Heard nothing more until yesterday when he got a bill / demand in the post from a lawyers firm in Ulm...

It has to be a scam...

He hasnt signed anything..

Had no contract..

Has had no Invoices from the marketing firm..

The Lawyers are NOT charging MWST.

What order should he sort this out?

Police and make an Anzeige...

VerbraucherZentral...

Lawyer up?

Ignore ?

stefano letter.jpg

Verbal contract cos the  guy said OK ? Twice. If they are clever they recorded the phone calls of him saying yes. I'd take a walk to the cop shop and see what they say.

A quick google search shows that the same law firm (and I use the term lightly) is involved in a number of dubious offerings like this, including platinum credit cards and consumer credit lines.

The police won't be able to help (sorry, optimista) but I suggest your friend visit his local Verbraucherschutzzentrale and obtain their advice.

In all described cases, the threat of filing charges is complete BS, so I wouldn't worry about that. The ridiculously short payment deadline (5 days from the date of the letter) is another obvious sign that the claim isn't legit.

21 minutes ago, SpiderPig said:

About 3 months ago he got a call from a company called Marketing online Deutschland or something simmilar..

Isn't that already cold calling which is illegal?

I never understand why people take calls from strangers and then don't just hang up when they do.

He isn't the first person this happened to: http://www.radziwill.info/Mit-Spam-Anrufen-Firmen-Marketing-Online-Deutschland-SLU-auf-Kundenfang

The best thing to do is to wait until (if ever!) the court gets involved and to then explain what happened to the judge. If they should ever risk going that far, at some point in the future there will be a letter from the court asking him for his statement. This would cost him nothing.

If he really is that nervous and wants it to go away immediately, it will cost him a 83.54€ flat fee for a lawyer to refute this claim: https://www.recht-hilfreich.de/inkasso-frankfurt/inkasso/hilfe-gegen-die-firmen-marketing-online-deutschland-s-l-u-und-tesch-media-finanz/

10 minutes ago, SpiderPig said:

Its not cold calling Buisness to Buisness, I dont think..

Yeah, B2B is a glaring exception to the "no cold-calling" rule - especially annoying for everyone who runs their own business and is required by law to list their phone number on their website.

But if it were a legit business, wouldn't they have sent the rep around and possibly made some real money?

What is the definition of B in B2B? Is scamming a legit business?

That's what confuses me.

Thanks for the info...

I have forwarded that Link PM posted...

I recken he will do that...  he is a bit of a mard arse..

Lets see,...

On another note... that website seems to suggest that there is a firm trading from CZ claiming folks making Telefone sex calls for 90€ etc etc...

That is the firm that Tried it on with me... Pepper United..    

After a couple of visits to the police, a Letter from the police to Pepper stopped my case dead in its tracks..

To all TTers with android phones - just install this app ''Should I answer?'' - https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.mistergroup.muzutozvednout&hl=en

Is free for Android.

For Apple product - https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/should-i-answer/id1199812713?mt=8

Should I Answer is free mobile security application protecting you against unsolicited, expensive, unwanted or unknown calls. 

Should I answer the call? This question can come into a mind of every person who sees an unknown incoming call. Each of us had (or will have) the opportunity to face the unsolicited call, telemarketing campaign, advertisement or some kind of fraud call. How should we find out that the calling number is harmless and answering it will not cost us tens of minutes of precious time or significant amount of money?

Notification Features
• Displays phone number rating immediately when phone starts ringing
• Does not touch or display ratings for your numbers stored in contacts!
• Works offline – uses offline rating database (internet connection not needed)
• Fast access to detailed phone number information and user reviews
• Fast access to write own review

Optional Blocking Features
• Blocks calls from hidden numbers
• Blocks calls to premium rate numbers
• Blocks calls to foreign countries
• Blocks calls from/to negative rated numbers
• Blocks calls from numbers defined on private block list
• Can blocks all calls from numbers which are not in contact list!
• Never blocks or touch any number from your contact list!

Online Manual: https://www.shouldianswer.net/mobile-manual/latest

Googling the Firm reveals this web adress..

http://www.ga-partner.eu/

The email Contact is different than on the letter.. Also, the hone numbers do not match.

It seems that the Manfred Gnjidic is quite character wanting Merkel brought before the courts for one reason or other and I cant see him getting involved with such a shabby outfit like Online marketing etc!

A real lawyer firm will not have a t-online email address. Your buddy should call the real firm and do some inquiries. 

Hello.

Since with EU roaming regulantions, me and my collegues (we are working as truck drivers and have work phones from company, a danish company with danish sim's) receive beeps from Germans phones numbers, numbers like:

+49 176 46806195

+49 176 44325286

...and the list can continue.

Also, I speak with someone with romanian sim (who called me on my danish sim) and now he is receiving also beeps from Germans phone numbers..

Does anyone know why we are receiving this beeps and how to make them stop? Its really anoying :)

Btw, sorry for my english :)

1 hour ago, Alungatu said:

Does anyone know why we are receiving this beeps and how to make them stop? Its really anoying :)

What do you mean by "beeps"?  Are you getting phone calls from these numbers that ring once and then hang up or are you getting texts and if yes, then what do they say?  Do they come from a different number each time or the same numbers more often?  If it's the same numbers a lot, you can block them.  I have never had a problem with funny calls or texts to my phone here in Germany.

If it's when you pass into Germany, probably some welcome to so and so network. I get it every time I cross a border but it is usually a beep and then a text message.

Just block the numbers on your phone if you don't want them bothering you.

It's ringing once and close. All the times, different numbers and not only when I pass border.. but random hours, everyday...