Calls from Strange Numbers - Telephone Scams

148 posts in this topic

I just received a phishing call from 0211 123123123.

They told me that they were from Vodafone contract extension service and wanted to know if I was interested in a new smartphone or a gift voucher!

We had already been warned about such calls by our company, so I just told them to get lost and hung up (and blocked the number).

But others should be aware.  

I wish the mobile operators would do more to stop such calls, but as they make money from every call that goes over their network then I don't believe that they are really bothered and care.

Call display is my eternal answer. Strange number? Do not pick up. Tell friends and family , wait for answer to kick in.

Some scams wait for you to answer, then re route calls. 

6 minutes ago, RedMidge said:

Call display is my eternal answer. Strange number? Do not pick up. Tell friends and family , wait for answer to kick in.

That's been my policy for a couple of years now, both at home and on my mobile.  If someone is really trying to contact me, they'll leave a message.

33 minutes ago, RedMidge said:

Unfortunately my phone is used for work, and it is normal for me to receive calls from strange numbers.  Especially international ones.  When I first got the call I also didn't think much about the number, as being 0211 is Dusseldorf and the German HQ is also in Dusseldorf then it did not seem strange at first.  Only when I looked in depth at the number afterwards did I see it was unusual.

I just got a random call from Sweden! :wacko: +46 46-888 09 26. Didn´t leave a voice mail and not so keen on calling the number back.

5 minutes ago, aries6 said:

I just got a random call from Sweden! :wacko: +46 46-888 09 26. Didn´t leave a voice mail and not so keen on calling the number back.

Maybe it was just a wrong number.

If they didn't leave a voice mail, you don't call back. Simples.

Here in bloody Greece I get a call every evening at 6 with some computer voice not even saying hello. It´s their Telekom but bloody rude. I hang up, sigh and wonder why it isn´t the German Finanzamt offering me 20,000 euros back asap. I sigh in vain...

13 hours ago, fraufruit said:

If you must receive calls from strange numbers, why not let them go to voice mail and then call them back?

Oh god no!  I disabled voicemail a long time a go.

When I had voice mail then 80% - 90% of the messages followed the same pattern. 

The caller would let it ring and ring, go to voice mail, listen to the message, and then just hang up.

So when I called in to get the message I just hear somebody hanging up.

And then, the person would call again later and if I didn't answer then the same thing occurred.

And these were genuine business related calls.

And to be honest, although I have received 2 phishing / ping calls recently they are the first time that I have had this issue since I got this number > 10 years ago.  So it is not exactly a bad situation I find myself in.

@dj_jay_smith I totally agree. Voicemail is a pain in the ass. Or somebody does leave a message, you call him back and get his voicemail, and spend the next few days playing voicemail tag.

Also very frustrating is when you ring a company to make a general inquiry, and they transfer you to the relevant person's voicemail. Anybody could have answered the enquiry which is often: who should you really talk to but voicemail doesn't answer questions.

Plus if it's a marketing call you get to say: never call me again and eventually get yourself marked as an uncooperative belligerent person not worth calling.

Ha! I thought I was the only one who didn't use voicemail. Never have and have never owned and answering machine at home. I do call a lot of people who use them, though. I hang up usually.

Hello 

This week me and my wife got misscalls from a number that has country code of Guinea. Strange that both our numbers got called only the last two digits of the phone number were different. 

We haven't answered or returned but wonder if anyone has similar calls. 

2 minutes ago, WhyNot_DE said:

Hello 

This week me and my wife got misscalls from a number that has country code of Guinea. Strange that both our numbers got called only the last two digits of the phone number were different. 

Google the phone numbers.

Just to get rid of all this calls install the app ''Should I answer?'' on your phone, if you have an android phone.

They got a database, with ratings, once a number was blocked by a user then automatically the app gonna block that number if you will be called.

They calling me for trading stock, from India and UK, keep calling...

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.mistergroup.muzutozvednout

Oh, I've been getting calls from unfamiliar numbers in Hamburg, and they're not from John G.! (Sadly. :D )

The number traces back to some sort of transport logistics service I don't need. No messages left, and the calls tapered off.

1 hour ago, WhyNot_DE said:

Hello 

I got a call from Guinea on Thursday. I ignore it. In the past it was displayed as unknown, but now it said Guinea, so I think O2 did something about it. 

In summer I got two calls from a number starting with +8818, which were scams as well. I blocked it.

2 hours ago, LukeSkywalker said:

I got a call from Guinea on Thursday. I ignore it. In the past it was displayed as unknown, but now it said Guinea, so I think O2 did something about it. 

In summer I got two calls from a number starting with +8818, which were scams as well. I blocked it.

We are with O2 as well. 

I Googled the number but nothing came up other than being from Guinea.