Calls from Strange Numbers - Telephone Scams

143 posts in this topic

You don't need to call and inform them of the scam - they're probably the perpetrators. They just want whoever's name and address they can't find out without going to some expense to save them money and respond. Until they've ID'd their prospective victim they can't start the nefarious scheme they've got planned. No need for you to make it easier for them.

I've been reading a few reports of their activities and no doubt they are a genuine law firm. The m.o. appears to be based on initiating claims for alleged rights infringements in quite a variety of areas. Not just for the usual music, film and ftp cases, but also for trickery like adding up the fragments of quoted text (over several blog pages) to claim misuse of entire French press agency articles.

If your visitor or anyone else might have used your mobile to register or book a premium rate mobile phone service or given that number as a contact number to a provider of such services then that may have been the seed. Going after people who've unwittingly got hooked by one of those high charging scam tricks is something they're rumoured to be into.

Whatever mischief is behind that SMS this is one of those rare cases where knowing about it sooner may be of less benefit than late or never. If they want to give you money they need to to send you their Western Union account number so you can pay the security fee to their uncle Bishop Innocent Leeban Jo in West Africa. If they want to get your money it's up to them to find you.

Remember, 'curiosity killed the cat', airwave. A call could be the start of a long and turbulent affair.

2B

http://www.abmahnhil...esellschaft-mbh

Dr. Wachs Rechtsanwälte: Abmahnung Rasch, Abmahnung Waldorf

Dr Wachs' Blog → Initiative Abmahnwahn

http://www.antispam-...wiki/Hauptseite

Dr Wachs' speciality is the law pertaining to these German intawebz scum plagues and he's also in Hamburg. He seems a bit of a gung-ho white knight type keen to insult the ethics, reputation and professionalism of the abmahn anwaelte by name. I guess they'd rather ignore him than demand he cease and desist coz in going to court they'd be risking him proving his statements were factual.

Fair points.

Something else which crossed my mind today - how come a lawyer would be so "merciful" towards a potential victim and offer the possibility of "reducing costs", when they would get to charge all the said costs back to the victim (plus a "processing fee", i.e. a little profit, of course)? Nah, certainly scam.

Roaming charges with my provider cost a bomb, you expect me to answer a weird number like that???

Edit: Last time I had something like this a woman was calling from a Kenyan mobile number saying that she was in hospital and asked me to call back. When the second call came I asked who she was and what she wanted to which I got no reply. When the 3rd call came I told her to go f**k herself, fortunately I got no calls after that!

I just do not answer calls, unless I see who it is on call display.  If no-one leaves a message- then I ignore it. Just too many scams, and irritating sales.  But, I do warn family and friends- leave a message.

+49 541/200720

Daily, in the afternoon. 

I usually miss the call as I leave my phone on vibrate in the office and often leave it on my desk when I go to meetings and the like. 

I checked online and the number is from Osnabrück and I am not alone in receiving these calls.

Tellows says that number is apparently aggressive telemarketing disguised as some kind of opinion research outfit, @bobD

Just block it on your phone and they'll never bother you again.

On 5.9.2016, 20:35:48, Uncle Nick said:

Just got a call from a weird number (didn't answer) anyone recognize it? 00046143070895

Just got another call from a very similar No. only this time it was 0049 461 43070895, looked it up and apparently it is Sky trying to get you to sign a contract.

Apart from the fact that I am in Greece and the roaming charges by my provider are horrendous, I tend not to answer my mobile if I have no clue whosoever is calling. I am no longer able to drive so the call (from Flensburg) is not going to be about my licence.

I've had two Wangiri (one-ring) calls on my Vodafone number from two different Tunisian numbers in the last two days. The numbers were

+216 28 702 658

+216 25 981 888

I blocked each number (on my iPhone) as soon as I received the call.

If you get a call from an international number that you don't recognize, don't pick up or call back under any circumstances. Apparently you'll be connected to a local premium service provider and charged several euros per minute until you get frustrated and hang up (see my link above for more details).

I got one of these calls too from 21625981897. I was puzzled but didn't answer it. I'm glad I saw this post - now I know it was a scam.

I received just such a call yesterday, as my mobile is used for work and given the nature of my work then it is not unusual for me to receive calls from strange countries such as these and i was not aware of the scam until reading this today.

But I did not call back, if it was work then they would contact me again or via another method (email, Skype etc.).

A few months ago there was an awful spate of companies ringing to do surveys. I always cut them off, and said delete my number and never call again. Hopefully the 10th time that got me amrked as uncooperative because those calls have stopped.

But then I got a call from a robot inviting me to some wonderful offer. The robot call was from a German number. Surely robot calls are illegal in Germany especially to mobile numbers?

I have the ring tone "You don't know me", a catchy little song, for numbers I don't know. That way I don't even reach for my phone. LOL