Calls from Strange Numbers - Telephone Scams

148 posts in this topic

I know this is an old thread, but I'm wondering if the random SMSs I've been receiving lately from the same number are part of these scams. The first one said something about, it would have been nice if I'd responded on some social media site. And another one just simply asked how I was. Odd...

I know this is an old thread, but I'm wondering if the random SMSs I've been receiving lately from the same number are part of these scams. The first one said something about, it would have been nice if I'd responded on some social media site. And another one just simply asked how I was. Odd...

I know you posted a long time ago but in case it hasn't been mentioned before any unexpected SMS/text message you get which tries to redirect you to a website is usually a phishing scam. I got one to my Irish mobile a few months ago purporting to be from O2 (I have an old O2 number but ported it to Vodafone years ago so I knew it wasn't likely to be genuine) offering freebies and upgrades from a particular website. Apparently the site is a very good duplicate of the real one and once you enter in a few bits of information you'll often find that your credit has been reduced to nothing in the next day or so. Not sure if it's only pay-as-you-go phones that are affected. O2 in Ireland request that the weblink and details are sent to them and they look into it fairly quickly. The number displayed that you think the SMS has come from is usually a random ordinary customer's number - when I was reading the text I saw an ordinary number but when it was just showing in the list of messages in my inbox the number was shown as ...

So i got a call yesterday evening around 7:30 from a munich landline number, the guy claimed that he got my number from a note on his car which says 'sorry i have damaged your car, please call me to xxxxxxxx' so on. So i have explained to him why it cant be possible, becuse i dont have a car. So the guy went like 'okey, i will call the cops and inform them' i said, please do so.

And this morning i have got an sms from a mobile number saying the same stuff like 'found a note on the car and i didnt have time to call you over the weekend and how did the accident happen and so on'. I havent responded to that.

I dont really have any known enemies and i checked with all my friends to see if someone is pulling a crazy prank(i dont have that kind of friends as of now, but you can never be sure). So all negative. Has anybody experienced something like that in Munich? What is the TT'ers take on such a situation.

Thanks Allerhausen. I thought of that, but i was told to wait and see if they call/message again with this improbable case. If yes then i will report it for sure. Could this be some kind of scam??

It could well be. It may be just a mistake, but I certainly wouldn't reply to any sms and most definitely don't call the number, it could be a premium number that ends up costing you a fortune.

the mobile number is from an O2 network and the landline is standard munich number begins with 089 370 *****

And the perosn named himself as 'Penning'.

Was the phone call and the text message from the same person, cos the way you've worded it sounds like two incidents since the sms doens't refer to the previous phone call?

I'd report it - as you haven't got a car - it'll be easy to prove your lack of involvement.

Thats right, the SMS said "unfortunately, i was on duty the whole weekend and i couldnt call you. Is there an opportunity to phone you on wednesday?". I wonder how both the persons assume that i speak english.

I was wondering whether you translated the call or whether it was in English. If it was in English it's highly suspect. If it were me I'd be skipping along to the Police instantly.

Me too. The scam text message I received a few months ago looked like it came from an 02 mobile. However, I found out (from the Irish forum that 02 had also posted on with details of who to contact in cases like this etc.) that that was just some random 02 number hiding whatever number it actually came from. So it seems to be technically possible for people to send text messages showing a fake number.

Koala, the initial 2 contacts were made in English. There was a call again yesterday evening around 20:00, this was from a woman and she spoke only in German. She said the note she found on her car was written in English. The woman has the same problem, i have told her that i have nothing to do with the incident and she should go to the police. I had been to the polizei later that evening because, it is really too much and it started to getting into my nerves. I was there with a bavarian friend of mine and he explained the entire situation. The cop said they can only consider this sitaution as a case or start to enquire only if there is more than 5 different people calls me or any of these people gets a note with my other contact details. The phone number alone can prove anything and they have guessed it is possible for a person to crash 3-5 cars in a parking lot and leave the same note on all of them! Anyway the mystery remains unsolved as of now, and no strange calls or sms today until now.

I got a missed call from a 0174 number 2 days ago. 016, and 017 are mobile phone prefixes aren't they.

Called it back after a few hours to find it was a sex number. but they didn't invite me to enter a credit card, or redial a special premium number. So how did they plan to make money. I must say I'm a bit intrigued.

Eine scheinbare vertrauenenswürdige Nummer befindet sich in der Anruferliste. Man ruft zurück und am anderen Ende der Leitung hört man nix und legt verwundert wieder auf. Tage später kommt plötzlich die Rechnung über eine angebliche Dienstleistung ins Haus geflattert. In diesem Fall werden angeblicher Telefonsex in Rechnung gestellt. Die Schamgefühle verleiten viele Menschen dazu die Rechung einfach zu bezahlen. Ein extrem unseriöses Geschäft! Auf keinen Fall zahlen!!!

It looks like they ping you, then get your address through your phone number, when you call back, then send you a bill. If you do get a bill, the text above says not to pay it. I can't see the video from work, so my assumptions are based solely on the text above, and there are probably more details in the video.

http://blog.tellows.de/2010/04/pinganrufe-videobeitrag-uber-betrug-mit-angeblichen-telefonsex/

Here's a fresh one.

I was getting a call from an anonymous number to my work mobile every few days. I once managed to answer, nothing happened - no voice at the other end.

Today I got an SMS from +491635072141, stating the following: "HP1417224*KSP Rechstanwälte konnten keine Post Zustellen. Teilen Sie bitte Ihre Anschrift zur Vermeidung von Ermittlungskosten mit. Tel: 04045065759"

With my basic German and Google Translate, I reached the following brute translation: "KSP Rechtsanwaelte could not reach deliver mail. Please share your address, so that costs with your identification can be avoided".

The said lawyers do exist and appear to be a legitimate company - http://www.ksp.de/, their phone number is 040 / 450 650.

However:

- my phone number is only shared with business contacts, doesn't appear on any payment, bill, contract or anything

- I find it very strange that someone would try to identify me by my company phone number - sure it would be a lot easier to simply find my employer and then sue them (this leading to my easy identification at no cost to them, wouldn't it)?

- The source number (01635072141) is listed as a scam number here: http://www.tellows.de/num/01635072141

- The supposed callback number (04045065759) is not listed on tellows, but a similar extension (-710) is: http://www.tellows.de/num/04045065710

I'm currently toying with the idea of dropping an e-mail to the lawyer firm or giving them a call tomorrow to inform them of the scam - or should I just be ignoring it altogether?

Have you been doing any torrenting? I believe KSP are notorious scumbags Abmahnanwälte.

No sir. Only had one guest who had a sick addiction to that, but I made it clear (hopefully) he's not supposed to get anywhere near it.

There's no connection between my Blackberry number and my Internet contract, anyway.

I think I'll give those lawyers a call tomorrow. Hope I don't get charged for it.

Here's a fresh one.

The said lawyers do exist and appear to be a legitimate company - http://www.ksp.de/, their phone number is 040 / 450 650.

However:

- The source number (01635072141) is listed as a scam number here: http://www.tellows.de/num/01635072141

- The supposed callback number (04045065759) is not listed on tellows, but a similar extension (-710) is: http://www.tellows.de/num/04045065710

It's not a 'fresh one' at all.

Given your post, it appears the Firm's name is being used by the scammers to appear legitimate. They then use their number in hopes you'll fall for it. They will then attempt to have all 'business' done without your having to enter the actual Firm's office. All transactions done electronically, they get your money and the scam is complete.