Frankfurt U-Bahn

5 posts in this topic

I will be moving to live in Frankfurt soon and have a question about the Frankfurt U-Bahn - is it very crowded during rush hour? I am rather claustrophobic and don't like packed trains.

Hello Mike. It depends of course how you define crowded but if you compare to e.g. larger populated cities such as Dublin or London and to the train pushers in Japan. There is hardly anybody on U-Bahns and I have never had a situation where there is no available seat. Those outside Frankfurt generally prefer to drive or use the S-Bahn and many who live in the U-Bahn areas usually cycle, take tram, bus or walk. The city is also very walkable. You will never feel claustrophobic here as locals generally like their space around them. I guess as most of us! 

It depends on the line. Some will be more crowded than others. While I agree that it's never as bad as Japan, the S-Bahn/U-Bahn into town at around 8/9am and back out at around 5/6 pm can get crowded without available seats. Again, it really depends on the line.

On 3/3/2018, 3:08:44, mike kelly said:

I will be moving to live in Frankfurt soon and have a question about the Frankfurt U-Bahn - is it very crowded during rush hour? I am rather claustrophobic and don't like packed trains.

It's often easy to dodge the crowd simply by taking the next train. People are people and love to pack into the first train available even though the next one is coming in 3 minutes.

Compared with what I used to experience on the Northern Line and Victoria Line (and to a slightly lesser extent the Piccadilly), the U-bahn is quiet in comparison.

And as the previous poster pointed out, quite often when the first train is packed out with standing room only, there is seating available on the next one.