Moved to a disgusting apartment/building

29 posts in this topic

If the Hausverwaltung knows who is making the mess, they will be directly contacted. If not, then my experience is that a notice will be hung on the information board of the buiding, reminding residents of their duties, etc

On 3/3/2018, 11:04:30, dessa_dangerous said:

Disagree with the no-smoking signs, first because it's a bit presumptuous to assume the authority and second, because Germans/people in general can be a bit tetchy with regards to "seniority"--suggestions for change or improvement, even really good ones, are as likely as not to be unwelcome from the newcomer, who in doing so commits two crimes at once: insinuating that there is Something Wrong with how they've done things up til now, and Waltzing In And Expecting Everyone To Change What They Did For Years Before You Showed Up, with the latter seeming to evoke the most ire. Even if they are sloppy fat hobos, they're still your neighbors, and offending them may help turn an unideal situation into a minor ...

So far I have seen noone in the world liking newcomers insinuating that there is Something Wrong with how they've done things up til now, and Waltzing In And Expecting Everyone To Change What They Did For Years Before You Showed Up.  How do you think a home owners association will react to a newcomer with new ideas regarding house colour? Or oh good lord hang out their washing in the backyard. I cant imagine many Brits welcoming someone being new and immediately criticizing their current livestyle. Same for many other countries I've seen so far. Come on this is a no go wherever you are. OP is well advised to change things slowly bit by bit.

You might have missed something here, Wherearewegoing, - this is an older thread that has been re-started by somebody wanting to know how problems are dealt with.

Well, and also in that quote from Dessa, she does say 'Germans/people in general', which makes the next comment a bit 'um, yes'.

6 hours ago, robinson100 said:

You might have missed something here, Wherearewegoing, - this is an older thread that has been re-started by somebody wanting to know how problems are dealt with.

You are right. OP being the wrong reference. I indeed meant the person putting out the latest request for help.

49 minutes ago, kiplette said:

Well, and also in that quote from Dessa, she does say 'Germans/people in general', which makes the next comment a bit 'um, yes'.

What is wrong there? I still think that you cant waltz in somewhere new and correct everybody else. So the advice of implementing changes bit by bit is supported. What do you think is wrong here?

9 hours ago, kiwiyg said:

Hi Lisa

Do you know how the Hausverwaltung would manage situations like this? 

I think in OP's case, she/ he knows who is responsible. In my apartment building, there are more than 50 families. It's difficult to pinpoint to a particular person. 

what Robinson said.

They should also direct the Hausmeister to clean it up (it doesn't hurt to request that explicitly, too).

On 3/1/2020, 7:38:27, robinson100 said:

If the Hausverwaltung knows who is making the mess, they will be directly contacted. If not, then my experience is that a notice will be hung on the information board of the buiding, reminding residents of their duties, etc

Do you think sings would make living condition better?

I found pizza and condom in public area of my apartment building. Rent in my apartment building is quite low. But my own rent is not low. :( So the renters are not economically well-off. Because of the littering, I feel they could do anything, and quite unsafe, and been thinking of moving. 

Sorry if i sound stupid. 

22 hours ago, lisa13 said:

what Robinson said.

They should also direct the Hausmeister to clean it up (it doesn't hurt to request that explicitly, too).

Hi. I just replied to the other person above. Would you have a look please? 

In Germany you should never move into any apartment without doing a thorough check... complete top to bottom with at-least 2 to 3 visits, one visit - in hiding, not informing the landlord, just to see how your new neighbors behave... how is the surrounding area... shopping or groceries availability and traffic. Here in Germany, moving is an expensive affair. it will cost you a ton and the deposit is not guaranteed to be returned unless you open a joint account with the landlord to make sure your deposit is safe. 

In your case, since you are facing issues with trash and also feel unsafe, i would suggest that you give notice to the owner that you want to change, citing the inconvenience of living conditions, unless fixed in 1 months time. Landlords are generally nice only when you join, but when you want to move out, they make your life miserable. I'm struggling with many issues myself. Wish you good luck and stay safe.