Moved to a disgusting apartment/building

28 posts in this topic

I recently moved to a ground floor apartment in a nice location, just next to the city. It is a decently sized building. When visited for the first time, it looked nice and took it for the location and the big windows which faces a yard.

Now that I moved, I realized that the stairs and the common passage is quite unclean and smells cigarettes. The other people who live there looks quite 'shady'. They look homelessy (most of them are fat/big, acting strange, smells) and often smoke cigarette just outside of the main entrance. While moving, one of my neighbors (an old guy) started speaking to me (and my friends who were helping me to move) saying that I should always keep the door locked and the windows closed, since it is a ground floor apartment and the area is little weird. Then he started tying to sell me his mattress and other stuffs. It was quite strange. I observed that no family lives in this building, and you only see those 'shady' looking guys walking by.

The apartment was also very unclean when I moved in, which I'm shorting out with the landlord as there was not 'move-in' inspection. Fortunately there the landlord seems kind and is helping me to fix stuffs. The common area just beside my windows is just disgusting, full with cigarette buds. I don't know if it has been cleaned in years!

I feel stuck in a bad situation. It caused so much hassle to move in with my big furnitures, and I do not want to move again. Do you guys ever lived in areas like this?

I know it's not your responsibility, but if your landlord doesn't want to do it then sweep that area and put some kind of large ashtray out for people to use. Perhaps an old bucket or something similar with a bit of sand in it.

If the place hasnt been cleaned in years... why didnt you spot all the shite on the floor... ?

If it was dark when you came to look at the place... didnt you smell anything?

Why not cook a huge batch of curry and stink the place out?

I like the idea of putting a container in the yard for the cigarette ends, but if your landlord allows it, why not put some plants in the yard too? Maybe just some bulbs that will pop up in spring, to make the whole area look nicer?

BTW, I don't think the apartment itself is disgusting, but some of the habits of the other people living in your block!

People who throw butts around like that probably wouldn't us a container. They are so close to the house that it looks like they have been tossed out of people's windows. Either that or people are hanging out under the OP's window.

I would put a few no smoking signs around where the problem is bad.

I bought a nice electric gadget that melts wonderful smelling wax cups in my flat. It's from Yankee Candle but they have all sorts on Amazon.

Hopefully you can turn your space into an oasis and not think too much about the rest.

Do send your landlord that photo.

I like the idea of planting some flowers. Check that you have enough sunlight and they are not permanently in shade. If so, you could use plant pots to move them about. Bottom line -  if your neighbours see someone is making an effort, they are more likely to play ball and keep the area tidy too.

Agree that those butts came through a window higher up so while I totally applaud the initiative of preventative measures, I fear their aim from three stories up might not be Jordan-level, even if they tried.

Disagree with the no-smoking signs, first because it's a bit presumptuous to assume the authority and second, because Germans/people in general can be a bit tetchy with regards to "seniority"--suggestions for change or improvement, even really good ones, are as likely as not to be unwelcome from the newcomer, who in doing so commits two crimes at once: insinuating that there is Something Wrong with how they've done things up til now, and Waltzing In And Expecting Everyone To Change What They Did For Years Before You Showed Up, with the latter seeming to evoke the most ire. Even if they are sloppy fat hobos, they're still your neighbors, and offending them may help turn an unideal situation into a minor nightmare.

I like the suggestion of sweeping the butts yourself, but not in a huffy, passive aggressive way; rather, as though there's nothing you'd rather do more. Ideally, this might con the upstairs neighbors into growing a conscience about chucking their butts past your window, but, even if that fails, you'll still get a clean courtyard out of it.

Yes, send your landlord the original photo, them take them away and take another photo to send him. Then wait a while and see what happens.

Not sure how easy it will be to actually sweep them off the ground. I recommend some throw away rubber gloves.

There was once a sign in our main entrance asking people not to throw butts down from their balconies. Worked a charm.

I would put a small no smoking sign in the lift if, in fact, people were smoking there. It may be against the law anyway.

Thanks guys for the responses. I like the idea of being positive and make the thing better.

Fortunately, I find the landlord very kind and considerate as of now. He is furious on the previous tenant as the security deposit of the previous guy was seized because of debt and he cannot use it to fix the apartment. Also the previous tenant stopped answering him completely. He is now trying to get a lawyer to look into the issue. He also is 'kind of' OK of me hiring someone to clean the place (like 10 - 15 euros per hour). Do you guys know any cleaning agencies in Germany, or places where I can hire cleaning guys? I live in Kaiserslautern by the way.

All these looks like too much of drama/hassle to me. But I'll probably have to go through all this, as I'll be living here for at least a year. 

Well,  if I were in your situation,  I'd contact your Hausmeisterservice and or vermieter.  Or you could just deal with it.  As long as your neighbors are not causing any harm to you or your family, you should be fine.

Just looking at the photo again and it seems what is happening is a smoker above is stubbing out their cigarettes and collecting the butts in a margarine tub which has subsequently fallen from above a couple of times. So a more secure way of collecting their cigarettes is needed.

1 minute ago, pmd said:

Just looking at the photo again and it seems what is happening is a smoker above is stubbing out their cigarettes and collecting the butts in a margarine tub which has subsequently fallen from above a couple of times. So a more secure way of collecting their cigarettes is needed.

I'll talk in details with the hausmeister and see if a solution can be found. 

Reporting in after 2-3 weeks. Things didn't improve, but instead got little worse.

After a week or so from moving in, one fine day, I found the yard to be cleaned with no cigarette buds - probably by the Hausmeister. It was all good until yesterday night, when I woke up by a relatively loud bang near the yard. In the morning I realized that, someone from upstairs threw their complete trash/garbage in there (photo attached). It is not one or two things you throw out from the window - its probably their complete trash for the month. 

I don't know what should be my action to stop this in the future. Report it to the Hausmeister and discuss for a solution? The last time I talked to the guy over phone, he didn't appear very friendly, and refused to meet me in person. Contact landlord/Hausverwaltung? The landlord seems to be helping me for renovation for the apartment, and my other complaints from the previous tenant (but he is very slow). I don't want to be too complaining, but at the same time this thing has to stop. 

IMG_20180321_093205.jpg

I'd definitely notify the hausverwaltung 

it's essentially their job to ensure the whole house is up to snuff.  throwing that amount of garbage around (let alone from the balcony) is NOT up to snuff.  Not by any stretch.

I felt a bit weird dealing with mine at first, and I only approached them about really serious matters, then I discovered the kind of complaints they get regularly and didn't feel bad at all.  It's their thing.  If they don't respond appropriately, I'd eventually take it up with the landlord as he's paying them to take care of crap like this.

I would also inform the person who is taking your money every month. The owner can attend the household meetings and complain there as well as take it up with the Hausverwaltung. It is his/her property. Keep taking photos and sharing them with both. That looks like a big rat invitation to me.

On 3/21/2018, 9:48:08, lisa13 said:

I'd definitely notify the hausverwaltung 

it's essentially their job to ensure the whole house is up to snuff.  throwing that amount of garbage around (let alone from the balcony) is NOT up to snuff.  Not by any stretch.

I felt a bit weird dealing with mine at first, and I only approached them about really serious matters, then I discovered the kind of complaints they get regularly and didn't feel bad at all.  It's their thing.  If they don't respond appropriately, I'd eventually take it up with the landlord as he's paying them to take care of crap like this.

Hi Lisa

Do you know how the Hausverwaltung would manage situations like this? 

I think in OP's case, she/ he knows who is responsible. In my apartment building, there are more than 50 families. It's difficult to pinpoint to a particular person.