Question about process for freelance visa

5 posts in this topic

I dropped off my application and all my documents at the KVR for an "artists" freelance visa and it did not go how I expected. I was informed that the application had to be sent to the chamber of commerce and it would take between 6-9 months for me to get a response. 

From reading the forums and talking to friends who have gone through a similar process in the past, I understood that for the "artist" freelance visa it does not have to go through the chamber of commerce as you are not self employed, but freelance (as in you arent a craftsman or setting up a small company). I am a film maker looking to freelance work int he Munich area. I am wondering if I was mistaken or I did not do a good job of explaining myself to the lady at the KVR. Can anyone let me know their experience and if I was mistaken? Also, if it does have to go through the chamber of commerce, is 6-9 months a realistic estimation of time? It seems very long...

Just want to manage my expectations and be able to tell potential clients when I should be able to work.

Thanks

18 minutes ago, loiosh said:

I am wondering if I was mistaken or I did not do a good job of explaining myself to the lady at the KVR.

Possibly. But since none of us was there at the time – how could we know?

Can anyone let me know their experience and if I was mistaken?

see above. What exactly means "film maker" for you? What is your role in making a film? What did you tell them? And what is your academic or artistic background? 

Also, if it does have to go through the chamber of commerce, is 6-9 months a realistic estimation of time? It seems very long...

Realistic anyway.

1 hour ago, someonesdaughter said:

Possibly. But since none of us was there at the time – how could we know?

see above. What exactly means "film maker" for you? What is your role in making a film? What did you tell them? And what is your academic or artistic background? 

Realistic anyway.

thanks for getting back to me. As a film maker I would be directing/editing short form marketing films. They didnt really ask me anything at the KVR. they just took my documents and said they would send them off.

I have been working in this industry for 10 years, the last 3 years of which was in Germany full time on staff with a working visa. I have a degree in film as well. 

Part of the reason I am thinking it didn't go right is that I did not really get the chance (or take the chance) to explain my situation fully.  I guess I am just trying to figure out if it is worth it to reprint out everything and go back to try again. 

Cheers

11 minutes ago, loiosh said:

thanks for getting back to me. As a film maker I would be directing/editing short form marketing films.

"marketing" (and "industry") is possibly the trigger word here – if you are working on journalistic topics or doing arthouse stuff, it's much easier to get acknowledged as an artist/Freiberufler and get the visa.

11 minutes ago, loiosh said:

They didnt really ask me anything at the KVR. they just took my documents and said they would send them off.

I have been working in this industry for 10 years, the last 3 years of which was in Germany full time on staff with a working visa. I have a degree in film as well. 

Part of the reason I am thinking it didn't go right is that I did not really get the chance (or take the chance) to explain my situation fully.  I guess I am just trying to figure out if it is worth it to reprint out everything and go back to try again. 

Generally you'd have to convince them that your are doing 'artistic' stuff, not bog standard marketing and advertising clips for e.g. diapers, beer or banking products . Does your CV/book reflect on 10 years 'in the industry' or on 10 years of 'art'? Did you compose a book for the KVR or use your standard book, the one you use for applications?

1 hour ago, loiosh said:

As a film maker I would be directing/editing short form marketing films. They didnt really ask me anything at the KVR. they just took my documents and said they would send them off.

You've been employed in this field, however, from the info you've posted it is not clear whether or not it is viable as self-employment