Short Vacation Recommendation in Harz

8 posts in this topic

Hi there,

I am planning by the mid of March to take my wife for a short vacation in Harz for her birthday, because  she loves mountains. I am planning to stay there for appr. 3 days, with our 1.5 old child. 

I am thinking of renting a room or an apartment on the mountains or at least close to them. Do you have any hotels/apartments recommendations? also, any sights that worth seeing in the city?

Many thanks in advance :)

I'm not sure which city you mean in Harz - it is a national park (worth a visit though). In terms of towns there is Goslar on the edge of the park which is very pretty (Brusttuch hotel is reasonably priced and central or Hubertus Hof for something a bit more special). Harz is great for wandering, but mid-March is still going to be cold, particularly with a young child. 

A few years ago my boyfriend and I stayed in a Schloss Hotel in Blankenburg:

https://www.travelzoo.com/de/local-deals/Osten/Getaway/268580/Schlosshotel-Blankenburg/?searchGuid=4881a1ef-518b-434d-b72d-94e0babc2e4e&dlocId=33666

It looks exactly as it does in the photos and the grounds are beautiful (we saw a number of couples taking wedding photos there).

If you don't have a car though, I wouldn't recommend it because it's really not accessible via public transportation.    You can also go to Wernigerode for the day or other towns nearby while you're there.

I'm interested in going to the Harz Mountain area too. We have neighbors who are from there and it sounds like a lovely area. Please let us know how your vacation turns out!

As we have just arrived back from our short vacation (2 nights, 3 days). It was a really great one, we enjoyed our time to the max even though the weather was not that good. However, here is a short summary of the trip, which I hope would help people to plan their trips in the future. Please notice that we had a car.

Hotel: Stubenberg Hotel. It has an extremely nice location, almost in the middle of the woods, with a view of the city beneath it in the valley. I give it 4 stars out of 5. I deducted half a star due to the very bad WiFi connection, and another half to the room service, which is not as good as other hotels I've stayed in.

Places:

• Quedlinberg city and city center ..... (3/5)
  • Quedlinberg Castle ....... (4/5)
  • Münzenberg Museum ...... (3/5)
  • Wernigerode Castle ...... (4/5)
  • Hamburger Wappen (which we LOVED)...(5/5)
  • Hexentanzplatz Zoo which is located at the summit of a mountain and you reach there via the cable railway (Seilbahn) ... (5/5)

If anyone needs more info about any of these

I wish you all nice times. 

On 2/27/2018, 1:03:35, maryrrf said:

I'm interested in going to the Harz Mountain area too. We have neighbors who are from there and it sounds like a lovely area. Please let us know how your vacation turns out!

Go for it, no doubt it worth it, check my comment above