Got the Flu/Grippe of 2018?

59 posts in this topic

It's the 100 year anniversary of the Influenza Epidemic of 1918-19. How are you feeling? Do you have a flu story to share, past or present?

The Grippe Welle (like a nasty tsunami of illness that washes over us) or yearly flu season is upon us. I know this because I've got it, but don't worry, it's not contageous via the cyber world.

Started on Friday with sore joints, thought maybe I'd overdone it at work the night before.  A light dry cough came next. Thought that was due to having shuttle food to customers outside in the minus temps the night before. My kidneys had been sore a few days before. That's gone now. 

Saturday I woke with a high temperature that hasn't abated. Not sure where Saturday and Sunday went. I was in bed, sitting up or propped up, waking almost every hour to cough up basically nothing. I like musical references, so I call this my Major Tom stage of the flu. If David Bowie had suddenly appeared in his glam rock look it would have seemed completely normal. Drank around 30 glasses of Erkältungs tea and water. Took an aspirin. Didn't need to pee much as I just sweat it all out!

Monday, Hausartz visit. Standing room only because it's Monday but also it seemed the dr. knew what I had before I had said more than, 'two days of fever and not really eating anything.' He filled in the rest of the symptoms, checking to then confirm I still have a fever on day 3. I think you could fry an egg on my forehead. Told me to show up early tomorrow for a blood test to determine if antibiotics are in order.

Gave me a receipt for some cough stuff with codine in it so I might possibly sleep a few hours in a row. Took it a half hour ago, noting the raisin brown color of the drops slowly swirling and sinking in the water glass, remembering  long ago watching a powerful fictional depiction of an old fashioned, opiate addicted woman in rural America, played by Katherine Hepburn in A Long Day's Journey Into Night. Thinking of the many rural housewives in America who were doctored with opiates, a lucarative habit for doctors and pharmacists as well. It has had the effect of settling my cough, which is good, but  for 24 Euros a tiny bottle (stuff not covered by the Krakenkasse) I was thinking, times don't change much (re: costs). 

Hoping for some Pink Floydian Comfortably Numb as I lie down to take a nap now.  Extra note: almost everything I eat tastes bitter at the moment. I guess due to the fever, I have what feel like kntting needle stabbing pains in my head if I slowly turn my head or just walk a bit, etc. Dr. said 'take Ibuprofen' and the pharmacist said, 'with food,' so on with eatting the bitter stuff.

I'm rarely so knocked down but when I have been, I have so delighted to the actually recovery day, it tends to arrive crystal clear, lungs at full sail, and somehwo the world has a new look about it. Looking forward to getting there soon. 

Sorry to hear you are under the weather. You write beautifully with fever, btw.

The obvious question always is did you have a  flu shot this season?

Take the drugs, keep on hydrating and get well soon.

I remember the first time I had the flu...ditto.

I was pretty surprised as americans are always saying "I have the flu" and they're still up and around and even working...and nope, when I finally contracted it I learned what flu *really* is

I think I was 27 or 28 and after feeling pretty shabby for a day or so, I really went down in ways I'd never experienced before.  I was so sick I was quite literally expecting and even looking forward to death in a "my goodness let's just get this over with" sort of mindset.  *Everything* hurt.  Even my fingernails...every hair on my head... (ok not the actual hair, but the roots...you get my meaning)  I simply could not get out of bed.  I didn't drink anything, I didn't pee, I certainly didn't eat, for close to 2 days (no I'm not kidding - not sure how that's even possible).  Then I finally felt I HAD to drink something...not from urge but just sheer force of will.  I had these funny thoughts like "oh hell, looks like I'm not actually going to die yet, so...I guess I'd better drag myself to the bathroom for some water - at least I'll be more comfortable while I wait"

The funniest/strangest part was that I was living in a commune of sorts and had house mates living in rooms directly on either side of mine with paper-thin walls.  I thought about calling out to them a few times, but in my haze just thought "nah, I know I'm just going to die.  no need to trouble them about it and I'd rather just get it over with so...I'll just go back to sleep and maybe it'll be over when I wake up".  They never wondered where I was, as we were always coming and going, and they never thought to check on me.  The first day I dragged myself to the kitchen to find something to eat (I'd been down for 4 or 5 days at that point), they took one look at me and...well, it was obvious I wasn't looking pretty ;)  They were horrified I'd been there the whole time, too sick to move at all.  It took me a full month to fully recover from that one.

it was REALLY weird, and in retrospect quite disturbing, but it did give me some comfort to discover that you can be so ill that death doesn't seem so bad at all.  That it would be totally ok and even welcome, at a certain point.

please take care @cybil!

I had this bad last year. My lungs were hurting and I had to eventually take antibiotics to get rid, even though I'm a nature type.

The big time to mix up all the germs in Germ-any is Oktoberfest, when Munich is legally invaded by people from all over the world (it's as bad as the Mecca pilgrimage for nasty bugs). For diseases, it's a fine holiday to swap from person to person. After Ofest the bugs have been distributed and begin their incubation. All the way through November, Christmas and now...out they come to play. Loads of wifey's colleagues are off at the moment. Following last year, I got myself injected with a needle thingy last autumn. So far nothing. Probably helps that wife is crazy with cross country skiing at the moment and dragging me out every weekend so my immune system is sound.

So the moral of this post is...in autumn get yourself poked...with a needle.

19 minutes ago, lisa13 said:

I was pretty surprised as americans are always saying "I have the flu" and they're still up and around and even working

And I hear so many Germans saying they have Grippe when it's just a bad cold. Still up and around and working and spreading their cold everywhere.

16 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

And I hear so many Germans saying they have Grippe when it's just a bad cold. Still up and around and working and spreading their cold everywhere.

And sending their bloody kids to kindergarden to spread it even more. How kind!

I'm still here, not napping. I'll get there. Had trouble with the TK website when I found I couldn't just fax the Krankenschein like I could two years ago for sa lung infection. Got that sorted out though. @fraufruit I didn't get a flu shot. Next year I will. I work in food service and should really know better!  As for the writing, maybe the fever silences the inner critic, that ok, like so many famous writers (I'm not one!) it's the drugs? I don't usually take any. Side note: if that photo is really you, you look stunning with that fruit basket on your head. @jeremytwo your mentioning the mutli-national tourists at Oktoberfest reminds me that we just finished with Karneval here, another multi-national tourist draw.  @lisa13 Your flu story sounded so awful! I can't imagine that your communal  neighbors didn't  knock on the door and ask if you were ok, they must have heard your wracking coughs. :( So glad you survived to tell the tale. 

15 minutes ago, cybil said:

I'm still here, not napping. I'll get there. Had trouble with the TK website when I found I couldn't just fax the Krankenschein like I could two years ago for sa lung infection. Got that sorted out though. @fraufruit I didn't get a flu shot. Next year I will. I work in food service and should really know better!  As for the writing, maybe the fever silences the inner critic, that ok, like so many famous writers (I'm not one!) it's the drugs? I don't usually take any. Side note: if that photo is really you, you look stunning with that fruit basket on your head. @jeremytwo your mentioning the mutli-national tourists at Oktoberfest reminds me that we just finished with Karneval here, another multi-national tourist draw.  @lisa13 Your flu story sounded so awful! I can't imagine that your communal  neighbors didn't  knock on the door and ask if you were ok, they must have heard your wracking coughs. :( So glad you survived to tell the tale. 

Fruity - steer clear of this lady who is obviously mean with a knife. Your hat may be under threat. She does indeed look a sweetie btw.

Cybil . yep it seems your Karneval was the wonderful "melting pot" and the bugs had a right session with each other there.

Lisa - so that idea of people in communes caring for each other is a myth? :)

16 hours ago, cybil said:

@lisa13 Your flu story sounded so awful! I can't imagine that your communal  neighbors didn't  knock on the door and ask if you were ok, they must have heard your wracking coughs. :( So glad you survived to tell the tale. 

actually, what I remember is that I wasn't really coughing until I started feeling better.  They really didn't think/know I was there in the house!

Is my flu on the way out? Though still not sleeping more than three hours a night, due to that annoying cough and the crackling sound at the top of my lungs (that sound only at night apparently), I am feeling better, already. Is this possible? Maybe. I had no idea the flu could last only 2-7 days, check this out from the World Health Organization.

Just now, cybil said:

Is my flu on the way out? Though still not sleeping more than three hours a night, due to that annoying cough and the crackling sound at the top of my lungs (that sound only at night apparently), I am feeling better, already. Is this possible? Maybe. I had no idea the flu could last only 2-7 days, check this out from the World Health Organization.

Yes, it can.  And some  people have flu and no symptoms at all.  Perhaps you have met a similar type of flu before.

29 minutes ago, snowingagain said:

Yes, it can.  And some  people have flu and no symptoms at all.  Perhaps you have met a similar type of flu before.

Such cases should be called: Flu deje vu! 

swine-flu was notoriously fast and furious.  At least in Boston area, this was how most doctors diagnosed it - you got really sick, really fast, but it didn't last so long.  I had it - apparently contracted during a visit here? - and it "bloomed" on my flight home.  I got on the plane feeling fit as a fiddle, started feeling feverish and uncomfortable about half way home, and by the time I got off the plane I was in a complete daze, big fever, aching...that's a total of 7 hours from feeling in perfect health to walking dead. I went down hard for a couple of days,  but I recovered just as fast and was completely over it in a week's time. I wasn't even overly congested by the end of that week, just a bit sniffly with a mild, mostly dry cough even though the first few days I was a certified snot factory.  It was *nothing* like my first flu experience (thank goodness) - the recovery wasn't nearly as bad as a lot of colds I've had.

weird.

glad you're starting to feel better!

The flu shot given out for this season didn't work apparently, so says my Hausarzt. People showing up in droves in our local dr. office in little old rural NRW. Young workers as well as older folk sitting in the waiting room again today, hacking coughs, red faces, miserable with puffy eyes shut waiting their turn to get the golden Krankenschein (workers only, of course), as they were on Monday, when I last was in there myself. Written off as sick for a second whole week myself. It's a virus so nothing can be given to 'cure' it but time and care. I personally only feel TIRED, as in, can stand about 5-10 minutes and then my legs just don't feel stable. Tough for a person used to standing, dashing, dodging in a cafe/kitchen/lobby eight hours world to do all that with currently no power. Longing to go out for a walk in nature as it's so sunny lately but know better than to do so. 

The current health news mentions this is the worst case of the Flu in the UK in 50 years and that what's currently in DE is milder. We are lucky to be here and not over there. 

On 20/02/2018, 22:16:28, lisa13 said:

swine-flu was notoriously fast and furious. 

Well my poor wife has always had mad cow disease.

40 minutes ago, cybil said:

The current health news mentions this is the worst case of the Flu in the UK in 50 years and that what's currently in DE is milder. We are lucky to be here and not over there. 

Uh oh. Last year's flu wave here in Sausage land was brutal - I got it and was out for six weeks. We shall see if the injection works down here in Bayern. I do daily exercises to "massage" my organs particularly my lungs. I also drink lemon-honey-turmeric-ginger tea sometimes.

On 19.2.2018, 17:40:32, lisa13 said:

I remember the first time I had the flu...ditto.

I was pretty surprised as americans are always saying "I have the flu" and they're still up and around and even working...and nope, when I finally contracted it I learned what flu *really* is

I was always up and working because I had no sick days and only 10 vacation days per year.  You didn't call in sick instead you loaded yourself up with very strong medication and hoped that you could focus enough for the next 8 hours that you could at least pretend you were working.  Sometimes I took unpaid leave but even that was frowned upon.  

Here I can't seem to find the kind of drugs like Sudafed or the like.  They seem to just want to load you up with tea no matter how sick you are.  

Back in the day I also had no sick days and only 5 days of "vacation". I had to go to work with pneumonia one year. My carpenter colleagues knocked together a nice wooden box so I could sleep and hide at work.  My foreman was in on it and turned a blind eye. That was back when people took care of each other. 

1 hour ago, BradinBayern said:

Here I can't seem to find the kind of drugs like Sudafed or the like.  They seem to just want to load you up with tea no matter how sick you are.  

I miss Sudafed too. It looked like Red Hots but packed enough caffine (or whatever was in there) to keep one going, and going, and going. I know Wal*Mart etc. started regulating how many packages you could buy at one time because it was a cheap and legal ingredient for people into making their own meth. In the 80s my parents just left a bottle of Sudafed on the table, along with the salt n pepper. Like it was a seasoning for anyday use. It was considered pretty harmless. 

2 hours ago, jeremytwo said:

Well my poor wife has always had mad cow disease.

Like Denny Crane, in 'Boston Legal'? Does she go around proclaiming after every major faux pas: 'But I'm jeremytwo's wife!' Like that makes up for whatever she's done wrong? Denny's ego was somehow loveable, so I imagine your madcow of a wife is too. 

12 minutes ago, cybil said:

packed enough caffine (or whatever was in there)

pseudoephedrine 

I could never take that stuff comfortably, though it does indeed work well for clearing out the snot.  Unfortunately I  need to *sleep* when I'm sick and sudafed always left me feeling like I was on meth (but not in a good way)