TEFL Certification Courses in Osnabrück

10 posts in this topic

Hi! I am from the Philippines, and I was advised by a friend to teach English here. I have a college degree, and I read somewhere online that I need to take up a TEFL certificate course. Is there a school in Osnabrück that offers certificate courses? 

PS: I am currently learning German! :)

Google is your friend, but probably not. You'll likely have to head to Berlin or Munich, or other bigger 'central' cities. Hamburg may have something IIRC (been years since I last looked into this), probably there are options in the Ruhrpott or Köln, too. Maybe Bremen.

You can probably do it online.   When I did it (a long time ago now) I just got a basic certification from a site with decent UK accreditation (i-2-i).  Quick google says even CELTA can be done online now.   Nobody ever asked my about qualifications, but I had it there if they did.  And of course I still have it and it's still on my CV, useful for inter-cultural communication in my profession, when I look through CVs for appointments, quite a lot of us seem to have one.

4 hours ago, alderhill said:

Google is your friend, but probably not. You'll likely have to head to Berlin or Munich, or other bigger 'central' cities. Hamburg may have something IIRC (been years since I last looked into this), probably there are options in the Ruhrpott or Köln, too. Maybe Bremen.

Frankfurt has one.

https://www.celtadelta.com/centres/international-house-frankfurt

5 hours ago, swimmer said:

You can probably do it online.  

You can, but online teaching certs tend to be junk. Useful for the paper they are printed on, not much else... Nothing against you swimmer, just speaking generally. If you're a native-speaker with some talent and intellectual ability, it may not matter. And of course, freelancing is all about how you sell yourself. Truthfully, a cert is not even needed, though it does open doors especially if you feel 'wow, but you don't look like an English-speaker' is a phrase you think you'll hear often. And not the least because in Germany, nothing exists unless you have a signed and stamped piece of paper proving it.

A brick-and-mortor school will give you personalized feedback and at least a little actual teaching experience. I think they are worth it.

1 hour ago, hugsrock said:

Frankfurt has one.

Was thinking of places closer to Osnabrück, but that's good to know. I know some people who've done the IH training and had good experiences.

10 minutes ago, alderhill said:

You can, but online teaching certs tend to be junk. Useful for the paper they are printed on, not much else... Nothing against you swimmer, just speaking generally. If you're a native-speaker with some talent and intellectual ability, it may not matter. And of course, freelancing is all about how you sell yourself. Truthfully, a cert is not even needed, though it does open doors especially if you feel 'wow, but you don't look like an English-speaker' is a phrase you think you'll hear often. And not the least because in Germany, nothing exists unless you have a signed and stamped piece of paper proving it.

A brick-and-mortor school will give you personalized feedback and at least a little actual teaching experience. I think they are worth it.

You get both of those online from a decent online provider in 2018, though.   They are perfectly happy to sell you personalised feedback and actual teaching experience. 

Many of the UK ones are aligned with standard UK qualification systems, under the UK Office of Qualifications and Examinations Regulation.    They may well not be educating us to Oxbridge level or even any bachelor level but they still have full equivalence with UK state qualification standards.    A comprehensive online one should be equivalent to UK A level, which seems perfectly OK for anyone doing a bit of jobbing TEFL. 

No need to sneer at a level of education below degree level as "junk" and I am always surprised so many education professionals so often do that.  Millions of Britons are educated only to the level of the TEFL qualification I did.  There is actually a place in the world for such students, even if they cannot call themselves a graduate.

Nothing against you alderhill, just speaking generally.

3 hours ago, swimmer said:

No need to sneer at a level of education below degree level as "junk" and I am always surprised so many education professionals so often do that.  Millions of Britons are educated only to the level of the TEFL qualification I did.  There is actually a place in the world for such students, even if they cannot call themselves a graduate.

Nothing against you alderhill, just speaking generally.

There's certainly more than one way to skin a cat, but since we are talking about a qualification to educate other people: yes I think there should be high standards. Clearly this has struck a nerve, but this is not a 'debate' about the value of ALL various below-bachelor qualifications, and no one has said otherwise. You certainly don't need a doctorate to teach office workers nuances of present perfect. Still, there are obvious limits to what an online distance prep course can do, especially for a newbie. It's better than nothing when you need to break into the biz, but I still advocate more hands-on training if you're going to do it. Absolutely. 

On 6/18/2018, 5:56:34, alderhill said:

To me the main advantage to doing the course is it taught me how to structure a class. I wouldn't have felt very comfortable trying to teach English without some training. The downside to all of this is the pay is really bad, you're basically freelance so you will be hard pressed to get steady work, especially in the holiday times. so it might be a struggle for the first year or two.

2 minutes ago, Tim Hortons Man said:

To me the main advantage to doing the course is it taught me how to structure a class. I wouldn't have felt very comfortable trying to teach English without some training. The downside to all of this is the pay is really bad, you're basically freelance so you will be hard pressed to get steady work, especially in the holiday times. so it might be a struggle for the first year or two.

I agree with the first comment, a course will teach you how to structure a class. The other advantage to having some kind of a recognised certificate is that, after you've gained some experience, it gives you that extra bit of confidence to start looking around and finding work directly with companies and that's where the better pay is.

I don't do it anymore but I keep the certification on my CV now I'm back running international projects (which may include training).   It's a marker of inter-cultural competency, and also that I can operate in an "international English" setting.    My work also includes selection and so I see CVs and what's noticable is that quite a lot of us have it now.  Many people I work with seem to have done it at some point - career break, between jobs etc.    It's quite a good icebreaker, and a bond we have :).  

I tend to think that grabbing certification as you go can be helpful, as well as the above practical benefits.   I always got a certification when I was learning German and such too.  Why would I not have it?    In training a subject I am less expert in right now, I am thinking of getting the basic certification.   Training yourself as you go along is often the most efficient way to upskill yourself.

I also vaguely think of a year abroad and obviously TEFL would be one option for that.   Having some sort of certification would give me far better options there I think, as per the last point.