What is wrong with Essen?

87 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, RenegadeFurther said:

Does anyone know how many no go areas there are in the Ruhrgebiet?

 

I assume there are more no go areas in the Ruhrgebiet than the rest of Germany combined.


Apparently Essen-Nord is in the hands of Lebanese clans. http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x5sj0lk

 

Foreign population in Essen: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Essen

Largest groups
of foreigners[29][citation needed]
Nationality Population
(2017)
23px-Flag_of_Turkey.svg.png Turkey 26,578
23px-Flag_of_Poland.svg.png Poland 15,003
23px-Flag_of_SFR_Yugoslavia.svg.png Yugoslavia 14,676
23px-Flag_of_Syria.svg.png Syria 9,882
23px-Flag_of_Iraq.svg.png Iraq 8,715
23px-Flag_of_Greece.svg.png Greece 5,983
23px-Flag_of_Romania.svg.png Romania 4,610
23px-Flag_of_Italy.svg.png Italy 3,917
23px-Flag_of_Afghanistan.svg.png Afghanistan 3,441
23px-Flag_of_Lebanon.svg.png Lebanon 2,692
23px-Flag_of_Bulgaria.svg.png Bulgaria 2,583

 

Article about dangerous and notorious places in NRW

 

Here's a a list of no go areas in the whole of Germany:

https://deutschesweb.wordpress.com/2017/06/26/liste-der-no-go-areas-in-deutschland/

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, bramble said:


Apparently Essen-Nord is in the hands of Lebanese clans. http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x5sj0lk

 

Foreign population in Essen: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Essen

Largest groups
of foreigners[29][citation needed]
Nationality Population
(2017)
23px-Flag_of_Turkey.svg.png Turkey 26,578
23px-Flag_of_Poland.svg.png Poland 15,003
23px-Flag_of_SFR_Yugoslavia.svg.png Yugoslavia 14,676
23px-Flag_of_Syria.svg.png Syria 9,882
23px-Flag_of_Iraq.svg.png Iraq 8,715
23px-Flag_of_Greece.svg.png Greece 5,983
23px-Flag_of_Romania.svg.png Romania 4,610
23px-Flag_of_Italy.svg.png Italy 3,917
23px-Flag_of_Afghanistan.svg.png Afghanistan 3,441
23px-Flag_of_Lebanon.svg.png Lebanon 2,692
23px-Flag_of_Bulgaria.svg.png Bulgaria 2,583

 

Article about dangerous and notorious places in NRW

 

Here's a a list of no go areas in the whole of Germany:

https://deutschesweb.wordpress.com/2017/06/26/liste-der-no-go-areas-in-deutschland/

 

Crime-obsessive web sites with talk of "no-go areas" are almost always bastions of racism and lo and behold "Deutsches Web" is no different. Ugh.

4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Eupathic Impulse said:

 

Crime-obsessive web sites with talk of "no-go areas" are almost always bastions of racism and lo and behold "Deutsches Web" is no different. Ugh.

Yeah, that list is a fucking joke. Alexanderplatz is a no-go area? I'm sure that's news to the hundreds of thousands of people who go there weekly.

6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, El Jeffo said:

Yeah, that list is a fucking joke. Alexanderplatz is a no-go area? I'm sure that's news to the hundreds of thousands of people who go there weekly.

 

Thing is, I believe it is a no-go area: for some people.  There's a subset of the population that cannot proceed psychologically into anything that doesn't make them feel like they're cells in a giant organic body.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Eupathic Impulse said:

 

Crime-obsessive web sites with talk of "no-go areas" are almost always bastions of racism and lo and behold "Deutsches Web" is no different. Ugh.

 

I couldn't really see references to racism skimming through that list, except in the case of Essen where Lebanese clans are mentioned. Are you implying it's all fake news? I included the list in my post because someone assumed the Ruhrgebiet had the most no go areas in comparison to the rest of Germany. Make of it what you will. 

4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Eupathic Impulse said:

 

Thing is, I believe it is a no-go area: for some people.  There's a subset of the population that cannot proceed psychologically into anything that doesn't make them feel like they're cells in a giant organic body.

 

No, it isnt.  Parts of Berlin for sure (for some people), but Alexanderplatz is considered safe even by the lunatic paranoics I know. Kotti and Görli are considered bad and possibly even no go to some people but not alex.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, bramble said:

Here's a a list of no go areas

That list is plain daft. I wonder how long it took them to jot down the names of a few of the larger cities and stick the train station area in there? Anyone with a head is aware that train stations in major cities (not just in Germany) can be a bit of a magnet for less than desirable behaviour, yet somehow almost all of use them from time to time. I might print out a copy as I'm taking some visitors to Cologne in a couple of weeks and I usually ditch my car for the weekend in one of the areas on the list and go for a drink in one of the others...that is unless my kids are taken away from me by social services, because I took them to the apparently notorious no-go area of Koeln-Porz (to visit their mum in hospital). They are correct that one of the playgrounds there isn't very nice, and there was some broken glass. We survived by using a different playground instead. I hadn't realised we were lucky to escape with our lives. 

 

5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, bramble said:

 

I couldn't really see references to racism skimming through that list, except in the case of Essen where Lebanese clans are mentioned. Are you implying it's all fake news? I included the list in my post because someone assumed the Ruhrgebiet had the most no go areas in comparison to the rest of Germany. Make of it what you will. 

 

If you read the context of the site rather than focus on that single page, you see an agenda in the fear-mongering.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, El Jeffo said:

Yeah, that list is a fucking joke. Alexanderplatz is a no-go area? I'm sure that's news to the hundreds of thousands of people who go there weekly.

 

360.000 per day (in 2016). That's a busy "no-go area"! ;) 

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Eupathic Impulse said:

 

If you read the context of the site rather than focus on that single page, you see an agenda in the fear-mongering.

 

Maybe you overlooked the Welt article I also posted as a counterbalance where it is mentioned, that the police say that there are no "No go areas" in NRW to which the Ruhrgebiet belongs, so people - also the OP -  can make up their own minds:

 

Quote

„Und No-go-Areas“, so betont er, „gibt es in NRW nicht.“ Denn das würde ja bedeuten, dass die Polizei dort in diesen Bereichen nicht mehr präsent ist. Die Deklarierung diene einzig und allein dazu, der Polizei ein Instrument an die Hand zu geben, Personen kontrollieren zu können, ohne dass sie das näher begründen muss. Es handele sich um eine Maßnahme zur Gefahrenabwehr, nicht zur Strafverfolgung.

 

Maybe the police are saying this all over Germany?

3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

None of the Ruhrgebiet is "no go" for me. *shrugs*.  I don't know maybe it is for more sensitive people? There was a pretty prominent pick pocketing ring when i lived there, and I had 200 euros stolen from me in a very short trip between the bank machine and the translators office.  Lesson learned.  There were some pretty gross areas, and the Schalke stadium street car line (and anywhere surrounding Schalke) after a game was pretty hairy and I avoided that experience as much as I can but i think that might have been pretty universal for most stadiums in the late 90s (not sure about now).  Ruhraktuell.com typical reports on goings-ons in the area to give one an idea of what kinds of crimes and how often they occur, but if you aren't also following the same kind of news for other cities, it could give you a false impression that it has a lot more crime than other places. 

 

 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, El Jeffo said:

Yeah, that list is a fucking joke. Alexanderplatz is a no-go area? I'm sure that's news to the hundreds of thousands of people who go there weekly.

To be fair: they mean U-Bahn Alexanderplatz, not the square itself.

There were some brutal attacks in U-Bahn Berlin last year. Was it on this station?

 

They also list Frankfurt Bahnhofsviertel  because there are junkies there consuming heroin.

 

So, from the point of view of some lady from high end royal society this is indeed a no go area. For those who do not believe in unicorns and know how the real life looks like this list is useless. It doesn't give the answer to a simple question: will I be attacked there? Not a fan of junkies, but none of them ever attacked me or did any harm.

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, yourkeau said:

They also list Frankfurt Bahnhofsviertel  because there are junkies there consuming heroin.

 

And not only there. Almost all of Frankfurt would be inaccessible except by taxi if... ah.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow. There is some serious misinformation in this thead.

 

When I first moved to Germany about five years ago I lived in Essen---Steele to be exact---and it was beautiful. Three bedrooms in a quiet neighbourhood with views of a nice forested park. I am sure not all of Essen is like this but most of it, from what I have seen is ok and certainly not a 'no go area.'

 

I no longer live in Essen but am still in Ruhrgebiet.

 

Essen, like Duisburg, Bochum, Düsseldorf, Cologne and other places in or near has it's great areas and it's not so great areas. People who are achievers in every sense of the word and multi-generation benefit receivers. For anyone looking to move to Germany for work purposes I would advise them to come to this area because of huge clusters of opportunity in various cities. 

 

The fact of the matter is, this is perhaps the most industrialized and business oriented area in Germany so we shouldn't be shocked by the diversity of it's population when compared to say a village in Bayern. I cannot help but to wonder if the negative commentary is just thinly veiled xenophobia. Sure there are very noticible immigrant and multi-generation immigrant communities, but from my perspective (especially being an immigrant myself) these are also the people who filled the labour gaps and shortages that no one else would when Germany was rebuilding worn torn industries... and newer arrivals are doing work that others will not.

7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, NativeFraulein said:

I cannot help but to wonder if the negative commentary is just thinly veiled xenophobia.

You haven't been around TT much lately. Thinly veiled (or even blatant) xenophobia is the new black around here for many members.

3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Off topic, but the whole of Frankfurt train station is a no go area nowadays in my books. You cannot stay still for more than 2 minutes without you being approached by gangs of pickpockets masquerading as beggars. You can tell them a mile off. Usually a mother with 2-3 "nimble" kids in tow, pretending to be begging while the kids grab and rifle bags/pockets behind you. 

 

Frankfurt hbf is shocking. Absolutely shocking. I remember it used to be quite nice - not any more. Its supposed to be a major interchange point yet you can't see a single policeman/woman on the whole concourse level. 

 

The gangs will do "the rounds" of the food court, then escape via the burger king entrance that leads to the dodgy area outside in front of the hbf. They'll then wait a bit, mother (I'm guessing not really mother) tells the kids to split up and go do the circuit again, then she'll come back through the doors in the opposite direction and that's how they come at people from different angles to grab bags etc...

 

If I can see what they are doing, with no police training or anything, I really do wonder what is the point of security cameras everywhere...

6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, paulwork said:

Off topic, but the whole of Frankfurt train station is a no go area nowadays in my books. You cannot stay still for more than 2 minutes without you being approached by gangs of pickpockets masquerading as beggars. You can tell them a mile off. Usually a mother with 2-3 "nimble" kids in tow, pretending to be begging while the kids grab and rifle bags/pockets behind you. 

 

Frankfurt hbf is shocking. Absolutely shocking. I remember it used to be quite nice - not any more. Its supposed to be a major interchange point yet you can't see a single policeman/woman on the whole concourse level. 

 

Apparently this makes you xenophobic?

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Being a victim of or being worried ( either yourself or on behalf of family, friends or even strangers ) about getting mugged, robbed, hassled makes anyone labelled a Nazi, zwiebelfisch! You know that from TT!:P

4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now