What is wrong with Essen?

83 posts in this topic

Dear all,

I have been offered a job interview for a job in Essen. I currently live bear Munich, and would like to move out of this very unaffordable city. However, I know nothing about Essen. I will do my research, but for now all I saw were the ridiculous cheap prices for apartments there. Since Essen is in W Germany, I assume it is pretty rich. So what is wrong with it? Why don't more people move there (as opposed to Bavaria)? 

Thank you

cherry

5 minutes ago, Cherryalessia said:

... I assume it is pretty rich. So what is wrong with it? Why don't more people move there (as opposed to Bavaria)? 

It's neither rich nor beautyful in many parts. Essen has been hit hard by the Strukturwandel and is a poor city, as most of the cities in the Ruhrgebiet. If you move to Essen, stay south of the A 40 motorway. 

There isnt much wrong with it... just Like Munich..

The differences are...

The Employers are plentyful in Munich...  

Fewer Snobs in Essen.

´NRW is the most populated state in Germany. So many people do live here. The schools are lacking and it isn't a very pretty part of Germany. When people come to visit us I always tell them in advance that we don't live in the part of Germany they see on TV. 

Plus points is you can hop over to Netherlands.

I've only driven through and also been in the train station - neither trip made me want to stop for a longer visit. It is not the prettiest area in Germany, NRW or even Ruhrpott. That said, there are plenty of large companies based there (Thyssen Krupp, E.On, RWE) and the whole of the Ruhr region seems to be a growth area for start-ups. Property is cheaper than anything in Bavaria and there are some better places which are easily commutable. If you like city life, I would say Dortmund is very close, but even places like Duesseldorf aren't too far. If you prefer to be more rural then Sauerland isn't too far away either (you can even make a day trip to Winterberg if you miss the Bavarian mountains). 

1 minute ago, fraufruit said:

Just wondering if any of the advice here is coming from people who live/have lived in Essen.

I dont need to live kn north korea to know its a shit place to live

8 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

Just wondering if any of the advice here is coming from people who live/have lived in Essen.

I lived in Duisburg/Dusseldorf and regularly passed through Essen.

If ever there was a place called Hell on Earth, the Ruhrgebiet is it.

24 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

jftr: Studied and lived in Duisburg (Ruhrort and Neudorf), worked (and lived) in Düsseldorf (Oberbilk and Unterbilk), see friends in Essen (Altenessen, north of A40, south of A42) on a regular basis.

Rüttenscheid is not too bad. It's part of Essen and has nice restaurants and some lively streets. I go there for work on a regular basis. Gelsenkirchen and Duisburg are worse. I would personally live in Düsseldorf and then commute by train to Essen. 

Come on, don't shit on Essen. I live only ca. 25 km from there. There's Lake Baldeney for instance and it's the greenest city in NRW and the third-greenest city in Germany and more.:

The Ruhr forms the Lake Baldeney reservoir in the boroughs of Fischlaken, Kupferdreh, Heisingen and Werden. The lake, a popular recreational area, dates from 1931 to 1933, when some thousands of unemployed coal miners dredged it with primitive tools. Generally, large areas south of the River Ruhr (including the suburbs of Schuir and Kettwig) are quite green and are often quoted as examples of rural structures in the otherwise relatively densely populated central Ruhr area. According to the Federal Statistical Office of Germany, Essen with 9.2% of its area covered by recreational green is the greenest city in North Rhine-Westphalia[5] and the third-greenest city in Germany.[6] The city has been shortlisted for the title of European Green Capital two consecutive times, for 2016 and 2017, winning for 2017.[7] The city was singled out for its exemplary practices in protecting and enhancing nature and biodiversity and efforts to reduce water consumption. Essen participates in a variety of networks and initiatives to reduce greenhouse gas emissions and to improve the city’s resilience in the face of climate change.

Kettwig is very nice: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kettwig

Thanks to not having any important major industries, Kettwig emerged from World War II largely unscathed and with most of its medieval old town still intact. The tower of the Market Church dates back to the 14th century, with additions from 1720. The Catholic Church St. Peter was christened in 1830. Other sights include Schloss Hugenpoet, which has been remodeled into a hotel, Schloss Oefte, and the Kattenturm, a 14th-century watchtower belonging to the former castle Luttelnau.

The Kettwig reservoir was built by the Ruhrverband between 1940 and 1950. It is the smallest of the five Ruhr reservoirs. It holds up to 1.42 million m³ of water and powers a hydroelectric power plant with a maximum output of 5.3 MW, built for and operated by RWE.

Kettwig:

1024px-Kettwig.jpg

And there's picturesque Hattingen bordering Essen: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hattingen

Bildergebnis für hattingen

You only have to look to find plenty of similar pretty places in our region steeped in history.

1 hour ago, Wertewandel said:

Essen is like Paris, compared to Darmstadt.

At least it's aptly named. And none more so than Darmstadt-Wixhausen...

The weather is bad.  Not only in Essen but in NRW generally. The traffic is atrocious. But then I know people who love the industrial charme of that area. Go for a visit!

12 hours ago, fraufruit said:

From what i read, that's pretty much the case.

It is not a shithole. 

The weather is not bad (Berlin was far worse for me). 

Nor is it ugly.

You do need to live there or be well acquainted with it to appreciate it, though.  In my opinion, it was one of the most unique places I've ever lived.  And I really miss it, even though I'm totally in love with Badnerland.

I always said that the Ruhrgebiet is not nearly as bad as what Germans think it is, but nothing that an american could ever imagine.

The pluses: there's A LOT around.  If you can't find it in Essen, you will be able to find it in one of the neighbouring cities, which are literally locked right up next to you.   You are very close to the netherlands, where furniture shopping is a huge bonus.  The people are NICE.  Like, the nicest people I've ever met in Germany, let alone northern Germany.   There are some really unique and pretty areas around.  I used to love shopping in Buer, Gelsenkirchen (which is also a great place to live), for example.  Housing is cheap because of the local economy dropping, which is good for you, who would have a job there. 

The minuses: some things can look ugly, but are really super interesting - there's a lot of artifacts around from the former coal days.   Slightly higher petty crime, esp pickpocketing.  It might have changed, but the city parks aren't nearly as nice as those in Munich - too many people spitting on the grass, throwing cigarette butts down, trash, etc.  Hopefully this has changed.  The spitting in that area really was my biggest culture shock.  But, you just go a bit north to Haltern-am-see and you can have a super nice day outing. 

12 hours ago, RenegadeFurther said:

I lived in Duisburg/Dusseldorf and regularly passed through Essen.

If ever there was a place called Hell on Earth, the Ruhrgebiet is it.

As someone who lived in Gelsenkirchen just after the mines closed, I can't disagree with this more.  It was hard times and not pretty to look at, but far from hell on earth.  The people are so nice, parties were so relaxed and fun, that no matter how it looks, you can't help feeling at home right away.  There are thousands of corners of the Ruhrgebiet that "people passing through" never get to see, but when you live there you get to experience it on a daily basis.  I truly miss it. 

12 hours ago, fraufruit said:

I live in Dortmund which is clustered in with Essen, Bochum , Gelsenkirchen.

Does anyone know how many no go areas there are in the Ruhrgebiet?

I assume there are more no go areas in the Ruhrgebiet than the rest of Germany combined.