Registration and Tax for temporary visitors

8 posts in this topic

Hello all

A quick question I'm hoping someone can help with

My wife and i are British nationals staying in Berlin for just under 6 months during her maternity leave. We came here mostly to try and learn some German and for a bit of a holiday as there is a good chance that in the future her job might move her here.  (I'm freelance and am mostly working from home and occasionally back in London, and not earning any money in Germany) 

We have sub-letted a flat (with a proper tenancy agreement) from the end of January to July and were told by the company that we need to register with the local authorities which we have now done. (quiet an easy process actually!)

After a conversation in a cafe I'm now slightly concerned that we are going to be asked to start paying tax in Germany immediately even though we are long term visitors for under six months. My understanding was that you pay tax in the country you are in for more than six months of the year. What I obviously don't want to have to do is for us to go through all the hassle of the German tax system only to then to go back to the UK and undo it all in six months. 

I hope someone can help, perhaps we shouldn't have registered, but it says clearly on the site that everyone staying more than two weeks needs to. 

Many thanks indeed for any help!

Really loving Berlin and also very much enjoying learning German.  

David  

Do a search (upper right of screen) and search Pandamunich taxes.  Pandamunich is our TT tax expert.  You'll be slightly ahead and most like will find the answers you need.

2 minutes ago, snowingagain said:

and check out health insurance requirements too ...

Just about to ask- OP may think he is covered by NHS, but that is for 3 months emergency treatment!  Not sure how his situation works!! Maybe he should go back to registration and explain it is an extended holiday. BTW is baby with you? ( Congrats!) Best check if you have health care covered.

Hello - Yes we purchased long stay travel insurance so covered for that!

5 minutes ago, Bikemad said:

Hello - Yes we purchased long stay travel insurance so covered for that!

Is that sufficient for people officially resident in Germany (albeit temporarily)? 

13 minutes ago, PandaMunich said:

Thanks very much PandaMunich. That's what I understood basically 6 months we're OK. 

Looks like we're ok then as long as we leave before 6 months (which we are) 

Thanks and all the best