Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Lichtenberg Area for Real Estate

8 posts in this topic

HI 
Anybody here went to the area Lichtenberg ?
Near Paul-Zobel-Straße ? 
Is it nice area to live ? or buy a property for Investment ? 
A small studio is offered for sale over there !

I guess it depends on your definition of nice. I'd probably choose other areas of Berlin first, over Lichtenberg.

Plenty of tower blocks, some parks and green spaces but Lichtenberg is hardly the centre of the action in Berlin, just mainly residential. Depends what you're looking for.

A small studio offered there for sale for just EUR 157,000 in a new 2000 building and it is rented 340 Eur. 

But some friends tolds me that foreingers are not common in this area.

I am not planning to move there anyway.

Most of the areas like Prenzlauer Berg , Charlottenburg, Wilmersdorf, Mitte there are no good properties for sale below 170,000.

There are some for sale but they are usually built before 1930. !!

Built before 1930 doesn't mean it is bad.

With patiente you can find a decent apartment in a more central area for 170K. Buying in Germany is a very slow process.

That's a 2.6% return on your investment - assuming you actually get to pocket the entire €340/month, which is doubtful (since expenses like the maintenance fund and building manager can't be passed on to the tenant).

Will you be paying cash or financing most of it through a loan?

Does it have to be Berlin? There are other real estate markets where the prices are much lower compared to the rents - Schwerin and Magdeburg come to mind. Although given your poor experience with real estate investments so far, I wonder whether a purely financial investment (indexed stock fund or bonds) might not be a better choice for you this time around. Having all your money in real estate isn't a good thing.

10 hours ago, Krieg said:

Built before 1930 doesn't mean it is bad.

With patiente you can find a decent apartment in a more central area for 170K. Buying in Germany is a very slow process.

What "central areas"  you recommend ? 

What about Tempelhof ? Schöneberg ? WEDDING ? Niederschoenhausen ? 

I can be patient but I am not living in Berlin. So I may stay for 4-8 weeks to finish this. 

10 hours ago, El Jeffo said:

That's a 2.6% return on your investment - assuming you actually get to pocket the entire €340/month, which is doubtful (since expenses like the maintenance fund and building manager can't be passed on to the tenant).

Will you be paying cash or financing most of it through a loan?

Does it have to be Berlin? There are other real estate markets where the prices are much lower compared to the rents - Schwerin and Magdeburg come to mind. Although given your poor experience with real estate investments so far, I wonder whether a purely financial investment (indexed stock fund or bonds) might not be a better choice for you this time around. Having all your money in real estate isn't a good thing.

Thanks

The return on real estate in Berlin comes from value increase not rent. I see my first investment value has increased by at least 5% annually. 

I will get rid of the property manager and use the  WEG administration. I think they can also pay Ground Tax for me.