Salary Expectation

102 posts in this topic

Hey everyone, 

What could be the salary for a web developer (frontend) in Munich?

I have accepted an offer but I think the salary is too low for this city. 

My position is - frontend developer and I have the following skills:

HTML, CSS, SASS, Bootstrap, Foundation, UIkit, jQuery, JavaScript, VUE.js, Vuex, Angular 1, WordPress, PHP,  Laravel, Web Services, MySQL, PostgreSQL, GIT.

I have around 5 years of experience including 1 year of experience as a developer in Germany. Also, I have a bachelor degree from Denmark / CPH.

Currently I have signed an offer for 52K.

10 minutes ago, quattro said:

Hey everyone, 

What could be the salary for a web developer (frontend) in Munich?

I have accepted an offer but I think the salary is too low for this city. 

My position is - frontend developer and I have the following skills:

HTML, CSS, SASS, Bootstrap, Foundation, UIkit, jQuery, JavaScript, VUE.js, Vuex, Angular 1, WordPress, PHP,  Laravel, Web Services, MySQL, PostgreSQL, GIT.

I have around 5 years of experience including 1 year of experience as a developer in Germany. Also, I have a bachelor degree from Denmark / CPH.

Add 'Settling for low salary ' to your experiance list

5 minutes ago, LukeSkywalker said:

You already signed, so now it's too late for negotiating, but here you have some indication:

https://www.glassdoor.de/Geh%C3%A4lter/munich-frontend-developer-gehalt-SRCH_IL.0,6_IC4990924_KO7,25.htm?countryRedirect=true

Some of the companies listed are startups, where the salaries are lower.

I have a notice perioud so i can search for a new opportunities. Why not...

Yes, but actually I have noticed that a lot of companies are greedy here.

1 hour ago, quattro said:

Yes, but actually I have noticed that a lot of companies are greedy here.

I suppose when you hire a trades person you pay them more than they ask? Companies want the best talent for the least amount of money. If you were unhappy with the salary you didn't have to sign. You're not an unskilled worker fighting for economic scraps; I'm guessing you have a choice of jobs with your skill set. As you say, you can keep on looking if you're unhappy with the salary.

The average German full time salary is currently 49,000 Euros.  The highest income state is Hesse where it's over 55,000.  Bavaria is not far behind.    In the past, I've referred to 50k being "entry level" for such graduates here and that was a  long time ago now.   The tech scene has expoded since.

On top of this, the popular high tech employer cities in the south (which include ones like Munich and Frankfurt that outsiders might not see as such) are increasingly populated by tech and other professionals on really excellent basics (six figures plus bonus / options etc) 

57 minutes ago, swimmer said:

The average German full time salary is currently 49,000 Euros.  The highest income state is Hesse where it's over 55,000.  Bavaria is not far behind.

What source do you have? €49K is a lot as an average. 

According to the Deutsche Rentenversicherung the average is €37K for 2017 (old Bundesländer): https://www.cecu.de/durchschnittsgehalt.html

1 hour ago, swimmer said:

In the past, I've referred to 50k being "entry level" for such graduates here and that was a  long time ago now.

I also recently heard that the entry level for IT is around 50K. But unfortunately I didnt know that before I have moved here. 

If you notice how many cool cars there are on the streets of Munich I dont think people have shitty salaries here. Or maybe they just have lot of experience and have some 'top' positions. 

Also, Germany needs a lot of IT engineers, so a lot of companies have difficulties to find a right person with a right skills. 

51 minutes ago, LukeSkywalker said:

What source do you have? €49K is a lot as an average. 

That's the point.  It's not actually "a lot" here and certainly not in the southern states.    So many of the people round you on 100, 150k plus all the perks.

God knows what the source is.   It's *only* straightforward full time employed, which is what the poster is asking about.   It was 42k in around 2011.   Huge numbers are not  FTE (including me) of course which is why any one number regarding "pay" or "salary" is of limited value.

The other thing that's noticable on top is that lifestyles have changed.   As well as the top end going up, the next gen professionals are usually married with a couple kids now - so second income, married tax class, Kindergeld and more to underpin that corporate lifestyle.     That's a big difference from my individualist Gen X / Y era.    Much bigger difference for the single foreigner IT guy or girl.    "60k" means vastly different things according to life situ.

EDIT - Berlin is practically bang on that 49k but of course many people are not fulltime employed.   There are also high volumes of jobs that foreigners tend not to do or see (notably public sector) where most people will be on at least 50k.   I'd also argue it may not be "a lot" for single people now.   It's 2k net - which won't go that far living the Munich life in 2018.

On 18/05/2018, 19:38:53, swimmer said:

The average German full time salary is currently 49,000 Euros.  The highest income state is Hesse where it's over 55,000.  Bavaria is not far behind.    In the past, I've referred to 50k being "entry level" for such graduates here and that was a  long time ago now.   The tech scene has expoded since.

On top of this, the popular high tech employer cities in the south (which include ones like Munich and Frankfurt that outsiders might not see as such) are increasingly populated by tech and other professionals on really excellent basics (six figures plus bonus / options etc) 

@swimmer

Are u really in IT swimmer. Six figure salaries are quite rare even for Project Managers or Software Architects. Only very very top IT management in the auto companies could earn six figures.

Infact apart from Frankfurt bankers, I don't think six figure is a common salary for even middle management positions anywhere in Germany.

24 minutes ago, The Vindictive said:

@swimmer

Are u really in IT swimmer. Six figure salaries are quite rare even for Project Managers or Software Architects. Only very very top IT management in the auto companies could earn six figures.

Infact apart from Frankfurt bankers, I don't think six figure is a common salary for even middle management positions anywhere in Germany.

Its not that rare in Munich area...

From my experience here (knowing many IT workers and managers personally) @The Vindictives take is correct wrt IT salaries.

The only person I know making six figures ended up with that by moving onto a department lead role at one of the auto companies.  His salary is far shy of what he'd be paid in the US for a similar role, and he works and travels non stop.  

I keep hearing about these 6 figure-ish salaries for devs in munich yet I have never once encountered such a role or employee, so until someone starts posting companies that actually pay this much I'm not a believer.

1 hour ago, lisa13 said:

I keep hearing about these 6 figure-ish salaries for devs in munich yet I have never once encountered such a role or employee, so until someone starts posting companies that actually pay this much I'm not a believer.

AFAIK, there are no 6 figure salaries for developers in Munich. But there are close values, over 90k€.

Even for Project Managers it is hard to get 6 figs.

Middle Management should start at around 85k€ but can reach 6 figures with some ease.

This is all of course before bonus. With bonus a developer can get more than 100k€

41 minutes ago, MikeMelga said:

This is all of course before bonus. With bonus a developer can get more than 100k€

where?

I'm not kidding.  pm me if you want to keep it mum ;)

Guys, 

No one pays more than 100K here, even in MUN.

There are rare cases when a developer can earn such a nice salary. 

Usually, the career for a VERY GOOD developer ends on 80 - 90k (max). If you want more - go to management (lead positions) or CTO position.

I personally think, more career opportunities are in Switzerland for IT. Yes, life its expensive there, but the salaries are super nice.

Here, in Germany, you will have a stable life but working for someone will not make you rich.

I personally, am upset with the salaries for developers here in Germany / Munich.

While quattro is correct, there is the fact that for non EU people German working visas are far more flexible and easy to get compared to Swiss working visas. And there are no shortage of opportunities in Munich. For the most part, cost of living (excl. housing) is lower in Munich than in Zurich. Although being a cross border commuter may be a good option in itself.

1 hour ago, lisa13 said:

where?

I'm not kidding.  pm me if you want to keep it mum ;)

I know a couple of developers in different companies doing around 90k€. Mostly automotive, but we are talking about top C++ developers,  with +15 years of experience, kind of SW gurus.

Regarding bonus, you can easily get between 1-2 salaries, so that would push you beyond 100k€. In fact, 85k€ +2 salary bonus will get you 100k€-

I know some senior SAP consultants on €90K per year in Munich. The consultancy manager, part of middle management, earns above €100K. Of course. I already mentioned that before, but consultancy is one of the best paid disciplines in IT: they earn their own salary back for the company by billing their hours to customers.

2 hours ago, MikeMelga said:

Regarding bonus, you can easily get between 1-2 salaries, so that would push you beyond 100k€. In fact, 85k€ +2 salary bonus will get you 100k

yeah...except I have never been offered a "salary" in Germany that didn't already include the bonus figure and urlaubs/weihnachtsgeld, even though those types of payments are fully freiwilling and/or performance based.  That is VERY common here.

I know a couple of people who got completely screwed on pay because they a) didn't understand that the "salary" offered in a verbal discussion wasn't really the base salary and b ) the employer played a lot of really shitty games around bonuses - essentially including x% bonus in the contract but they never paid that much in practice to any employee (as they could wheedle out of it using the fine print in the contract).  My first job here, they had an even more evil game - management was not allowed to pay out 100% of all bonuses - they had to keep it below 80% overall.  So if you got 100% they had to take something out of someone else's bonus.  Sick, sick games.

But again, these anecdotal "I know a guy who..." doesn't really tell us anything wrt where to find those salaries.  I'm not saying it's not possible to get paid that much, but the fact that we only hear of these singular magical unicorns second or third hand...it's NOT common.  That was my point.  if a company overall pays much better, I want to hear about that. 

I'm guessing google probably does.  Or at least they did, at one time.

Good call for mentioning SAP consultants @LukeSkywalker- it's an evil realm and those who can use the dark force are highly  valued.

On 18.5.2018, 16:43:34, quattro said:

Must be your location that makes you so well-paid. In Berlin, as a  web developer with >5 years experience, the upper limit is pretty much 42K. And thats for fluent german speakers who work full-stack.

And yes, C devs and SAP guys earn more, but thats not comparable to web development salaries.