Salary Expectation

102 posts in this topic

Hi there,

I know that this topic has been addressed MANY times, but still, it is varies a lot from one case to another. However, tomorrow I have a job interview at Intel, and they are going to ask me about my salary expectation, so I NEED to answer this question correctly and carefully, and for that I would ask your help. 

Here is some info which might help:

- I have a PhD degree in Mechatronics Engineering (freshly finished).

- I am 29 years old.

- I have a wife (housewife) and a 1.5 years old child.

- Currently we live in Bremen.

- The job offer is in the research and development area at Intel company in Munich.

Should I ask for something more than 50.000 euro? or 60.000 euro? or even more?!

Thanks in advance :)

2 minutes ago, SpiderPig said:

Where is the job location?

Oh sorry, I forgot to mention that it is in Munich. I already edited my original post above.

3 minutes ago, LukeSkywalker said:

Do you have any relevant work experience?

not really, I've just finished my PhD, but it is related to the job.

Even 60k is not that much in Munich. But if there is a path forward then 60k might be a good starting point.

Please remember to post your payslip here later on as proof.

Cheers

If you have an interview then you have at least some of the skills they are looking for. And even though skills are not synonymous with experience, they are both valued. Bit of confidence (within reason) goes a long way.

They will rarely give you more than you ask for, so ask for what you think phds in mechatronics earn in one of Germany most expensive cities.

It would not be out of range to ask for 60k if you have a Phd from a German university. (If you do then they know what your are making - TVL E13) and will offer you slightly more than that). German Phds think quite highly of themselves and ask exorbitant sums.

(Of course if you really want to be at Intel, dream job or whatever, then be flexible).

4 minutes ago, coolness.personified said:

Please remember to post your payslip here later on as proof.

Proof of what?

Proof of what?

He meant Helles/Bier coupons. To thank anonymous posters for such wonderful advice.

Wouldn't that be a great function, like a super green thumbs up x 10. You click and foodora delivers a 6 pack for really good advice.

1 minute ago, mako1 said:

He meant Helles/Bier coupons. To thank anonymous posters for such wonderful advice.

Oh my bad :mellow:, I don't drink, maybe this is why I didn't get it :huh:

Well you're in luck, the bavarians put on a small festival in the fall to introduce newcomers to the wonders of malt and hops.

In any case, I think 50K is not enough and 60K just a (low) start. You have to ask for more so they can think they got you for cheap.

60K seems low for a PHD, although I am not that familiar with Mechatronics branch salaries.

I would aim high and they will probably make you a counter offer.

We've recently had a candidate that asked so few that we got suspicious... he was 10-15% his market price, so we thought that he might not be good.

1 minute ago, MikeMelga said:

We've recently had a candidate that asked so few that we got suspicious... he was 10-15% his market price, so we thought that he might not be good.

Exactly, that's the impression I want to avoid leaving.

60k is too low. How many years of experience is required in job description? In any case, with a Phd degree, you should not state your salary expectations less than 75k and accept anything above 70k as base salary. They also pay good yearly bonus as far as I know. You may even go higher, but then you have to carefully read job description that what key qualifications are needed for this particular job role and how many years of experience of experience is required. If you may paste here some of the job requirements (related to years of experience and tools knowledge) then may be people here can guide you more.

I would say 60K is too low. Dreamer15 has the best reply. Accept anything above 70K as base salary. Don't forget to update us after accepting the offer. Wish you Good Luck.

I worked for Intel in the UK. In the UK market, each job was within a certain salary range and the pay was good. Definitely ask for 70k+ and see what happens. When they asked me for my salary expectations I asked for 5k less than I ended up getting. So, technically they could have had me for less but the level of the position wouldn't allow it. They're also really good with bonuses, we got one every quarter based on sales so if Intel did good we did good and there's always the extra Christmas bonus as well. It's a great company to work for. Good luck! 

Thanks a lot everyone. Really, your tips helped me A LOT! Still I am going through the procedures, I had a phone interview with the HR and I asked for 75K as a base salary, seems that it was a realistic amount to ask since they considered me for further processing and I already had another phone interview with future boss. Still  waiting for what comes next :)

Really, thanks a lot guys ^_^

good luck. I was in a similar situation 7 years ago, and man after reading the numbers people put here, I think I completely fucked myself with my starting salary :P