Exchanging an English driving licence for a German one

129 posts in this topic

I think it would be like driving without a licence. I switched mine over Dec 2019 It look literally 3-4 weeks to get the German licence. I had a Canadian Licence (so out of EU) so I am not sure if the agreement with the UK is similar to non EU countries after Brexit. I never did a Sehtest, first aid or any of it. I just brought an experience letter from Canada (in English mind you), a letter stating I had no traffic infarctions and a German translation of my license plus the fee (forgot what it was). That was it. This was in Frankfurt mind you. 

Your UK licence should be fully valid during the transition period, so you should be able to hire a car with it.

I had to translate my US licence to German, even if it didn't make much sense, it had to be done.

I would write the date you moved to Germany, you can always ask when you're at the office if that's correct, but I doubt they want to know that your first visit to Germany was in 1999 as a 2 year old.

Thanks. The point is after 6 months of living here you have to convert your licence. If I wasn't living here my UK licence would be valid through the transition period (and afterwards I'm sure), but that's different. 

It turns out the first aid course and Sehtest are only for people outside EU/EEA and some other listed countries so I should be okay. Which is good as I've found out the first aid course takes 8 hours, and although I found someone offering it in English the first available date was November.

How do you even get a "Ämtliche Übersetzung" (official translation) of a licence? The UK licence is of course an EU licence so it's meant to be understood in the EU. "Driver's licence" = Führerschein; Date of Birth = Geburtsdatum. There you go; done!

Amtliche Übersetzung in a nutshell means a translation done by a translator sworn in in Germany. 

1 hour ago, Dembo said:

Thanks. The point is after 6 months of living here you have to convert your licence. If I wasn't living here my UK licence would be valid through the transition period (and afterwards I'm sure), but that's different. 

If your from the EU you can use your licence as long as you like no need to ever convert. I have hired cars with a 40 year old paper UK licence without problems. Only Brexit forced me to change to a German licence. No questions asked easy. 

As above^^^

I arrived in Germany in 2008 and only exchanged my UK licence last year due to Brexit. When I exchanged it I was told I should have exchanged it when my UK licence expired in 2013 but that was it rather than renewing it in the UK. No mention of how long I had been living in Germany or that I should have exchanged it after being here 6 months and I have also hired cars in Germany over the years with my UK licence with no questions asked.

In Cologne to exchange the licence I just rang up the local Kundenzentrum and explained I needed to exchange my licence and made an appointment. I needed to take a recent photo with me along with 35 euros for the fee and a copy of my passport. The whole process took 10 minutes and 2 weeks later I went back to pick up my German licence.

The only reason I would have needed a medical or any form of eye test, etc. was if I wanted to be able to drive large vehicles (i.e. 7.5t trucks) as I had an old UK licence, which allowed me to drive pretty much anything. And there was never a question of the licence needing to be translated.

The gov.uk site says:

If you are a resident in Germany, you must exchange your UK licence for a German one within 6 months of moving to Germany

Maybe that's new because of Brexit. But it's pretty clear.

I have a slight conundrum with this -

Have been living in Germany for a few years, still using my UK license no problem whenever car sharing (Sixt, Miles, Sharenow, Weshare).

I would be OK to transfer my UK license to a German one except that I still own and regularly use a car in the UK. Without a UK license I'm pretty sure insurance and taxing the vehicle in the UK will become an expensive nightmare or maybe even impossible. 

Hmmm.

20 hours ago, Brexitania said:

I have a slight conundrum with this -

Have been living in Germany for a few years, still using my UK license no problem whenever car sharing (Sixt, Miles, Sharenow, Weshare).

I would be OK to transfer my UK license to a German one except that I still own and regularly use a car in the UK. Without a UK license I'm pretty sure insurance and taxing the vehicle in the UK will become an expensive nightmare or maybe even impossible. 

Hmmm.

Oh dear, where have you been all this time? Have you not heard of Brexit?

you do realise that your UK licence will no longer be valid in Germany as of 1st January 2021?

Doesn't matter if you use rental or car sharing, if you have an accident the chances are you will not be insured, read the small print.

Driving in Germany

Driving licence exchange rules will stay the same until 31 December 2020.

If you are a resident in Germany, you must exchange your UK licence for a German one within 6 months of moving to Germany. You can still use your German licence in the UK for short visits or exchange it for a UK licence without taking a test if you return to live in the UK. Driving licences are issued at local authority level in Germany. Your local Bürgeramt can advise you on where you can go to exchange your licence.

An International Driving Permit is not a suitable alternative to exchanging your licence.

If your UK driving licence is lost, stolen or expires, you will not be able to renew it with the UK Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) while you are resident in Germany.

Source UK Government

I would get moving fast on exchanging licence, it is a simple process.  I recently did, and got to keep my UK licence too, but that is not always possible.  

15 hours ago, snowingagain said:

I would get moving fast on exchanging licence, it is a simple process.  I recently did, and got to keep my UK licence too, but that is not always possible.  

Easier said than done, with the country going into a 'light lockdown' as of Monday for a month there will be absolutely zero chance of @Brexitania exchanging a licence before year end, well at least not in Berlin.

Another conundrum for @Brexitania to consider, with a no deal scenarion looking more likely there's a good chance that UK citizens will need to resit the driving test here in Germany in order to exchange their UK licence for a German one. This is the norm for Third Country Nationals where there's no reciprocal agreements. 

Ouch! 

19 minutes ago, Sir Percy B said:

@Brexitania 

Another conundrum for @Brexitania to consider, with a no deal scenarion looking more likely there's a good chance that UK citizens will need to resit the driving test here in Germany in order to exchange their UK licence for a German one. This is the norm for Third Country Nationals where there's no reciprocal agreements. 

Ouch! 

I know it's all speculation but the latest mood music from the current round of negotiations is more positive that there will be a deal (albeit more limited in nature than what London wants). The Pound is recovering against the Euro also which indicates the markets think a deal is in the offing. 

Of course it could all go pear shaped.

48 minutes ago, Sir Percy B said:

@Brexitania

Ouch! 

Yup. And not just here. A family member is seriously thinking about moving to Ireland. They have UK/Irish citizenship but a UK driving licence, and in the absence of a reciprocal agreement would have to do the same unless they are resident by the end of December.

Ireland will certainly be an exception anyway. The "deal" or not is about a trade deal which I don't see would cover this sort of thing; that would have been in the withdrawl agreement.

I'm glad this popped up because I really do need to get on with it. I went to the office a few months back armed with the form and discovered that thanks to Corona you were only allowed in with an appointment (which you have to make by phone), which I didn't get around to. What that means for Monday onwards I've no idea.

On 29/10/2020, 16:26:23, Sir Percy B said:

Oh dear, where have you been all this time? Have you not heard of Brexit?

you do realise that your UK licence will no longer be valid in Germany as of 1st January 2021?

Doesn't matter if you use rental or car sharing, if you have an accident the chances are you will not be insured, read the small print.

Source UK Government

Are you suggesting that non-German driving license holders are legally unable to rent cars in Germany?

On 29/10/2020, 17:24:07, snowingagain said:

Yes I will.

But I HAVE to keep my UK driving license with my current family and life situation.

Can you please elaborate on how you were able to keep yours too?

Thankyou

1 minute ago, Brexitania said:

Yes I will.  But I HAVE to keep my UK driving license with my current family and life situation.

Can you please elaborate on how you were able to keep yours too?

Thankyou

I am ancient and my UK driving licence allows me to drive categories that I am not allowed to in Germany.  So I got to keep my licence to use for these vehicles in the UK. 

7 minutes ago, snowingagain said:

I am ancient and my UK driving licence allows me to drive categories that I am not allowed to in Germany.  So I got to keep my licence to use for these vehicles in the UK. 

I see - that's interesting (and seems quite random!)

Mine was issued November 1993 for AM, A, B1, B, C1, D1, BE, C1E, D1E, fklnpq.

Does that compare to yours?

2 hours ago, Brexitania said:

I see - that's interesting (and seems quite random!)

It is not actually random.  In Germany some categories require a medical test at my age, but not in the UK (the C and D ones).  Being a younger person you may be given these categories automatically.  I am not sure you can just say you do not want them, in order to hang onto your UK licence.

Mine was issued November 1993 for AM, A, B1, B, C1, D1, BE, C1E, D1E, fklnpq.

Does that compare to yours?

Ha mine was somewhat earlier, and some of the codes do not match exactly.  But as I said it was for the bigger vehicles, C and Ds.  But for Germany I now have only AM, B, BE and L.  

It is possible the UK and EU will continue to recognise each others licences post 2020.  But if there is any chance they will not, I would exchange to German asap just to avoid having to do a driving test.  As you have already passed the test in the UK.