Exchanging an English driving licence for a German one

45 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, dstanners said:

Another update, and this time it's not so positive. After making my application back in February, and being told it will take 2/3 weeks, I've had nothing but procrastination from the authorities.

Considering your country opted to leave and are now dragging the process out as long as possible, I don't think that you can blame the locals for wanting to wait until the dust settles. 

I would suggest contacting SOLVIT to see if they can assist you.

45 minutes ago, engelchen said:

Considering your country opted to leave and are now dragging the process out as long as possible, I don't think that you can blame the locals for wanting to wait until the dust settles. 

I would suggest contacting SOLVIT to see if they can assist you.

Sorry, but while the UK remains part of the EU then this is illegal.

As this was applied for before the very first deadline before any extension then I think @dstanners has a right to be angry.

In fact, if I was you I would print out the law, take it along with you and tell them that they are in breach of said laws and that this is unacceptable and that if they don't sort this out ASAP that you will sue them!

Whilst the authorities in the Kreisstadt wouldn't give me a copy of the internal memo, they did give me the email address of the bloke who wrote it, so rather than turn up in person, I put it in writing much along the lines that @dj_jay_smith suggested (copied below for interest - obviously in German though). I'll give SOLVIT a go too, thanks for that @engelchen. That said engelchen, whilst I understand why lots of people might be fed up with Brexit causing issues even outside of the UK, the law is what it is, and should be applied fairly to all EU citizens.

A copy of my email for info:

Im Februar 2019 habe ich einen Antrag gemacht, um meinen britischen Fuehrerschein gegen einen deutschen einzutauschen. Es wurde gesagt, dieser Antrag sollte 2 bis 3 Wochen dauern.

Wir haben jetzt Oktober, und mein Antrag ist immer noch nicht bearbeitet.

Ihre Kollegen beim Kreis Euskirchen haben mir eine Korrespondenz von Ihnen vorgelesen. In dieser Korrespondenz heisst es, dass Antraege wie meiner (britischer Fuehrerschein) so behandelt werden sollen, as kaemen sie von einem “dritten Land” also, ausserhalb der EU.

Obwohl “Brexit” immer noch diskutiert wird, sind britische Fuehrscheine immer noch EU Fuehrerscheine, und als sollches, sind Antraege wie meinen so zu betrachten als kaemen sie von einem Mitgliedstaat.

Ich weise hiermit auf Artikel 2, Directive 2006/126/EC: “
1.   Die von den Mitgliedstaaten ausgestellten Führerscheine werden gegenseitig anerkannt.

2.   Begründet der Inhaber eines gültigen Führerscheins mit einer von Artikel 7 Absatz 2 abweichenden Gültigkeitsdauer seinen ordentlichen Wohnsitz in einem anderen Mitgliedstaat als dem, der den Führerschein ausgestellt hat, so kann der Aufnahmemitgliedstaat nach Ablauf von zwei Jahren ab dem Tag, an dem der Führerscheininhaber seinen ordentlichen Wohnsitz im Hoheitsgebiet des Aufnahmemitgliedstaats begründet hat, die in dem genannten Artikel vorgesehene Gültigkeitsdauer auf den Führerschein anwenden, indem er den Führerschein erneuert.

Die Kriterien in Paragraph 2 erfuelle ich.

Noch schlimmer ist, das britische Fuehrerscheine in der Regel britischen Staatsangehoerigen gehoeren (noch EU Mitglieder). Als solches ist eine Regel gegen britische Fueherscheine eine indirekte Diskriminierung: also ein Verstoss des Artikels 21 (2) , Charta der Grundrechte der EU: “(2)   Unbeschadet besonderer Bestimmungen der Verträge ist in ihrem Anwendungsbereich jede Diskriminierung aus Gründen der Staatsangehörigkeit verboten.

Es war bestimmt nicht von Ihnen geplannt zwei solcher Verstoesse zu machen. Deshalb bitte ich Sie innerhalb von 5 Tagen, die Behoerde in Euskirchen zu kontaktieren um meinen Antrag zuegig zu bearbeiten.

Ich habe kein Interesse in einen Rechtstreit einzutreten, aber, im Gegensatz zu Grossbritannien, habe ich klar und deutlich vor noch in der EU zu bleiben (mittlerweile bin ich auch Deutscher). Daher muss dieses Problem fuer mich schnellstmoeglichst geloest werden.

Vielen Dank im Vorraus.

A further update. My letter to the regional authorities in Cologne "seems" to have had the desired effect. I had a very polite call from the author of the internal correspondence, apologising for what he believed was a misunderstanding from the folk at my Kreisstadt. He said there was no intention to treat British licences as non-EU licences (at present) and that accordingly he would personally see that my application would be processed and that I would be able to retain the heritage classes. However, he said that I would only retain those classes for a period of 5 years, after which apparently there is a requirement in Germany for further tests (medicals etc). That sounds fine and fair to me: I wasn't asking to be treated better than someone with a German licence, but the same. In fairness to the individual from the Cologne authorities, when I called up my Kreisstadt, he had already ensured they were well aware of my application, and keen to help.

So - so far so good. The only fly in the ointment for me, is that because of the additional categories (ability to drive coaches etc), I was told to apply for a Fuehrungszeugnis, and only once that has been processed will I be given the German licence. I made the application today, but was told it could take at least three weeks to process. The cynic in me leaves a nagging doubt that this could be a cynical ploy to delay the application. I'll see in a few weeks, and will provide a further (hopefully final) update one way or another.