Exchanging an English driving licence for a German one

8 posts in this topic

Does anyone know where I would have to go to exchange my English driving license for a German one? I live right by Konstablerwache so if there are multiple places then where is my nearest one? Also, what do I need to do the exchange? I am assuming something with my address on it.

I exchanged my British license for a German one a few months ago due to it becoming expired. I took what is in the link above. They made a photocopy of my British    license and stamped it so I could present the photocopied version to the police if needed (you hand over your British license). It took 3 months for the German license to arrive so if you are exchanging because your British one is up for renewal, it may be best to do it a little before the expiration date. 

HI, my british British driving licence has expired some time ago. Can I now get a German one to replace my UK driving as I am now living here in Germany. I have no residential address in UK anymore..

8 minutes ago, i-jalapeno said:

HI, my british British driving licence has expired some time ago. Can I now get a German one to replace my UK driving as I am now living here in Germany. I have no residential address in UK anymore..

I'd think that although you cannot drive on it, you can exchange it for a German one. See § 30 Fahrerlaubnis-Verordnung

(1) Beantragt der Inhaber einer EU- oder EWR-Fahrerlaubnis, die zum Führen von Kraftfahrzeugen im Inland berechtigt oder berechtigt hat, die Erteilung einer Fahrerlaubnis für die entsprechende Klasse von Kraftfahrzeugen, sind folgende Vorschriften nicht anzuwenden:
§ 11 Absatz 9 über die ärztliche Untersuchung und § 12 Absatz 6 über die Untersuchung des Sehvermögens, es sei denn, dass in entsprechender Anwendung der Regelungen in den §§ 23 und 24 eine Untersuchung erforderlich ist, [...]

die Vorschriften über die Ausbildung.

Not the past tense of the berechtigt hat. I interpret this to mean that if you possess a EU driving license that entitles or has entitled you to drive in Germany you don't need to go through requirements 1 to 5 of obtaining a German driving license. I presume that number 5 above means driving lessons and exams.

I read a while ago on another forum that whilst the DVLA won't send you a licence to a non-UK address, they will send some sort of letter or certificate of entitlement that can be used to get a licence issued in another EU country.

How true this is I don't know though.

I was thinking about going through this process, but if it takes around three months, that could be problematic as I moving out of my current address at the end of June.

When I exchanged my Swedish license to a German one they took a copy of my Swedish license when I applied and then handed the Swedish license back. I only had to turn my Swedish license in when I came back after 6 weeks to get the new German one. This was in Leverkusen. The procedure should be the same for all EU licenses.

dasdas

On 2/18/2018, 6:44:30, i-jalapeno said:

I hope that you have not been driving around, as if the license is expired then you are committing an offence could be fined, imprisoned for up to one year and have your car taken away,

This is true for the UK and Germany, and I don't think they will care who issued the license.  

I would also assume that your insurance company would not pay in the event on an accident.

There could also be issues here.  If your UK licence has been expired for more than 2 years then technically they could insist that you retake your test!  Although that is probably unlikely without there being another reason (such as medical, or reaching 70 years old).

I suggest that you use the UK address of a friend or relative to renew this ASAP, tell them that you have not been driving in the meantime, and then get it exchanged for a German one.

29 minutes ago, marbe166 said:

When I exchanged my Swedish license to a German one they took a copy of my Swedish license when I applied and then handed the Swedish license back. I only had to turn my Swedish license in when I came back after 6 weeks to get the new German one. This was in Leverkusen. The procedure should be the same for all EU licenses.

That's exactly how it also worked for my UK -> German license replacement.