Exchanging an English driving licence for a German one

5 posts in this topic

Does anyone know where I would have to go to exchange my English driving license for a German one? I live right by Konstablerwache so if there are multiple places then where is my nearest one? Also, what do I need to do the exchange? I am assuming something with my address on it.

I exchanged my British license for a German one a few months ago due to it becoming expired. I took what is in the link above. They made a photocopy of my British    license and stamped it so I could present the photocopied version to the police if needed (you hand over your British license). It took 3 months for the German license to arrive so if you are exchanging because your British one is up for renewal, it may be best to do it a little before the expiration date. 

HI, my british British driving licence has expired some time ago. Can I now get a German one to replace my UK driving as I am now living here in Germany. I have no residential address in UK anymore..

8 minutes ago, i-jalapeno said:

HI, my british British driving licence has expired some time ago. Can I now get a German one to replace my UK driving as I am now living here in Germany. I have no residential address in UK anymore..

I'd think that although you cannot drive on it, you can exchange it for a German one. See § 30 Fahrerlaubnis-Verordnung

(1) Beantragt der Inhaber einer EU- oder EWR-Fahrerlaubnis, die zum Führen von Kraftfahrzeugen im Inland berechtigt oder berechtigt hat, die Erteilung einer Fahrerlaubnis für die entsprechende Klasse von Kraftfahrzeugen, sind folgende Vorschriften nicht anzuwenden:
§ 11 Absatz 9 über die ärztliche Untersuchung und § 12 Absatz 6 über die Untersuchung des Sehvermögens, es sei denn, dass in entsprechender Anwendung der Regelungen in den §§ 23 und 24 eine Untersuchung erforderlich ist, [...]

die Vorschriften über die Ausbildung.

Not the past tense of the berechtigt hat. I interpret this to mean that if you possess a EU driving license that entitles or has entitled you to drive in Germany you don't need to go through requirements 1 to 5 of obtaining a German driving license. I presume that number 5 above means driving lessons and exams.