Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Cats are picky eaters and throw up often, but vet check shows all ok

25 posts in this topic

39 minutes ago, zwiebelfisch said:

That might be true, but I have never seen a cat turn its nose up to frozen (defrosted obviously) mice.

That's interesting because my cats have never been interested in already dead mice. They have caught live mice and either have eaten them or left lying around dead - also in the house. The seniors I have now don't catch mice anymore, so I'm glad to say I don't have dead or live mice in the house anymore. 

39 minutes ago, zwiebelfisch said:

suspect that commercial catfood is developed mostly to appeal to the person buying it rather than to the cat so its no great surprise to me that they often dont like it.  All the fish flavours for example, cats dont (contrary to poular belief) especially like fish, but people think they do so half the foods are salmon etc.

My cats definitely like fish - though my cooked leftovers - fish heads and skin etc. do seem to be a delicacy. They also eat the fish grates, which is no problem for cats and dogs intestines due to their high stomach aciditiy.

35 minutes ago, steph_b said:

Even "high" quality foods with high meat content? Don't these flavour enhancers have to be declared on the label? :o

Even though I used to feed such high quality foods I haven't been so interested anymore, because after the horrendeous and expensive bladder stones infections I switched to Purina One with positive effects and I'm not going to change to anything else in a hurry. My cats are 13 and 14. But I recall some reports some time back found that Whiskas dry and wet was preferred by many cats over everything else due to flavour enhancements. What other brands introduce into their products I don't know. 

1 hour ago, LukeSkywalker said:

feab0a20a5ef32ad3c9d4143eb33450b.jpg

Yep.  That's our cats.

After offering them two different foods (one of which they usually love), around 3+ hours after I put the food out they are finally eating it.

12 minutes ago, steph_b said:

around 3+ hours after I put the food out they are finally eating it.

It's quite normal for cats to not eat everything in one go. They prefer eating small portions over the course of the day, so it's ok to leave the food in their dishes for them to decide when and how much they want to eat. I put measured food portions down for them twice a day.  Dogs are different, they normally wolf everything down in one go. 

29 minutes ago, bramble said:

Dogs are different, they normally wolf everything down in one go. 

I confirm, especially with meat. Chewing not required. My parents used to have a mix between a Rottweiler and a German shepherd.