Painting before moving into an apartment

19 posts in this topic

Hello,

I've read all the painting posts I could find here and still have an unanswered question.

The previous tenant in an apartment we might be offered painted all 5 rooms of the flat a very bright color.  The property manager told us that he asked the previous tenant to paint a neutral color, and they proceeded to paint a bright color anyway.  They lived there for about 5 years and did not return the walls to a neutral color upon moving out.  The landlord told us that if we want the apartment a neutral color, we must cover the costs ourselves.  He is giving us a company that can paint it for an estimate of 5.000€.  

Is the landlord required to return an apartment to a neutral color when re-renting?  Or is this an issue that the new tenant must simply fix themselves?

Thank you in advance for any information.

It's tricky, usually this will be stated on the contract. If it is, then don't sign it. If it is the only place available, paint it yourself.

I have that on my new contract. I have 6 months to paint the apartment. But when I leave, I don't have to.

Actually I prefer this arrangement, I can paint it as I want, color and quality wise.

1 hour ago, Tim Hortons Man said:

So you are interested in renting this place and the landlord wants to have it painted at your cost before moving in?

Is my understanding correct?

They want us to “keep” it in a neutral color, but I have not seen the contact yet so I do not know if they are requiring us to paint it or just telling us if we want the awful bright color gone we have to deal with it ourselves. If the contract requires us to paint a neutral color at some point before moving out, we would just do it now. But with that logic, we wonder why the previous tenant didn’t repaint it neutral, as the manager stated they were supposed to do. Can they hold us responsible for fixing the previous tenant’s negligence? I suppose with how competitive the market is “beggars can’t be choosers,” but still, we want to be careful about the contract we sign.

As always the best advice one can give or get is to join the mietverein, the cost is reasonable and can really save your bacon or your deposit!

You're situation is fairly typical. Places are rented "unfurnished" landlords expect tenants to renovate them at their own cost. One place we moved into not only needed a kitchen but it also needed new flooring (ikea laminat), and the walls needed to be painted etc. Now in your situation as far as I know he can't force you to pay for the repainting of the apartment. More importantly you have to paint, either when you move in or when you move out. 

If you are interested in the place you need to go to the meitverien and ask them the following questions

1. We have a verbal agreement to pay for the painting of the place. Is is enforceable
  2. It is written in the lease that he will have the place professionally painted before we move in and we mut pay for it. Is that legal?
  3. The place was professionally painted before we moved in do we have to have it professionally painted when we move out (short answer yes)
  4. We have an agreement to paint the place when we move in do I have to paint it?
  5. The place was an awful black and green colour, I repainted it to a neutral white, do I have to repaint it the same colours when we move out? 

It sounds like you trying to rent in a competitive market so you decide how you want to approach this. Assuming the landlord can't force you to paint it, he will want someone who's willing to foot the bill to renovate it.  How comfortable you feel telling him/her that yes I willing to have the place professionally painted at my expense and after moving in "changing your mind" I can't answer.Oh and 5000€ seems way over priced, for 100 spr mtrs it cost me 1500€ including polishing the hardwood floors. 

I wrote a short book Tricks and Bricks Germany The Expat Guide to Renting, it'll be available as a free download as soon as the webmasters gets the site up and running. Till then I'll pm it to you

Thank you very much for your detailed response.  I am going to contact the meitverien today.  I was a member of a tenants union back in my home state in the US and found it very helpful.    I would love to read your book on renting.

I think if we do decide to rent and sign a lease, we will shop around for painting quotes.  I am fine with painting myself, too, except that the ceilings have some deco detailing that would make it complicated.

I am also not totally in love with the apartment, which is probably another source of my hesitation.  The flooring is laminate fake wood, which I am not against, but this particular one is rather "plastic" looking.  And we have to buy our own kitchen as well, so its a lot of commitment for an apartment that we are not super excited about.  But it is a competitive market and the space and location are great, so I don't think we can be too picky.

Our contract states that we don't have to paint or renovate anything when we move out. Of course the previous tenant loved the color terra cotta, so we painted over that of course. And now with a kid, we don't have to paint over his pencil drawing on the walls (nothing intentional, but then again he was 3 when he did that) when we move out.

But you're right, it's a tough market. And adding the cost of putting in a new kitchen, you're out a at least €5,000 just to move in (deposit, etc.)

It all depends on how much you love this apartment and want it!! 

We had a tenant who, despite ignoring the  clause about asking permission to paint, chose Hunter Green and dark navy for walls!   More issues ensued, so were quite happy when they did a midnight  run, as Makler said it would take ages to get them out!!

5 hours ago, RedMidge said:

It all depends on how much you love this apartment and want it!! 

We had a tenant who, despite ignoring the  clause about asking permission to paint, chose Hunter Green and dark navy for walls!  

Yikes! I prefer walls white or neutral in general, but even more so in rentals, as it seems too much of a hassle any other way. I don’t love the apartment so I hesitant to invest the money, but it does fit our needs. I’ll have to wait and see if they offer it to us and what the lease stipulates. 

19 hours ago, Elfenstar said:

But you're right, it's a tough market. And adding the cost of putting in a new kitchen, you're out a at least €5,000 just to move in (deposit, etc.)

We are not in love with the apartment.  It fits our needs and has a great location, but has some other negatives we are not keen on.  I think it will cost closer to €8,000 to move in and at that expense I think we would feel stuck if we ever came across something that we did love.  It seems foolish to turn down an affordable apartment in a competitive neighborhood, but I still can't shake my hesitation.

Hi there, 

€5000 for paints seems to be a bit high. We hire somebody from myhammer to do my apartment around €500 (of course, they just paint white ontop of it), and it was 110 sqm. And with that price, they also fixed the holes in the hall etc. 

Good luck ;)

41 minutes ago, ronch said:

We hire somebody from myhammer to do my apartment around €500 (of course, they just paint white ontop of it), and it was 110 sqm.

Assuming they didn't do the doors and door frames which can run around € 100 per.

Just now, fraufruit said:

Assuming they didn't do the doors and door frames which can run around € 100 per.

yeap..true.. only the wall.. 

This place has complicated ceilings, too, which would probably make it more expensive.  Also, the manager told us we should not paint paint the ceilings, but I think it would look odd to have all white walls and then brightly colored ceilings.

On 12.2.2018, 11:28:45, impossibledreamer said:

Is the landlord required to return an apartment to a neutral color when re-renting?

No, the previous tenant would have had to do that. Only if the landlord would be obligated to paint (which depends on the lease contract but is unusal) would he have to heed your wishes regatrding colour. http://www.kostenlose-urteile.de/LG-Bremen_1-S-3717_Wohnungsvermieter-muss-bei-Neuanstrich-der-Wohnung-im-Rahmen-seiner-Schoenheitsreparaturpflicht-Farbwuensche-des-Mieters-respektieren.news25527.htm

If you starting the tenancy it´s up to you to either negotiate or accept whatever colour there is.

On 12.2.2018, 16:12:59, Tim Hortons Man said:

It is written in the lease that he will have the place professionally painted before we move in and we mut pay for it. Is that legal?

You can´t be required to have it painted by professional painters. You can only be required to have it painted according to professional standards. Stipulations in the lease to the contrary are void. There are court rulings on that.

2 hours ago, jeba said:

You can´t be required to have it painted by professional painters. You can only be required to have it painted according to professional standards. Stipulations in the lease to the contrary are void. There are court rulings on that.

Reminds me when we moved out of our place in Munich. We were discussing this with the lady doing the handover. It was a large German company with 100's of buildings so it was all professional and such. Anyways she commented how many people try to do it on the cheap and the company has to bring in professionals to redo it, which of course is expensive!