Santorini

33 posts in this topic

14 hours ago, ballygobackwards said:

We spent  a week there about 25years ago and were shocked at the number of stray cats and dogs roaming around. The island is beautiful but you are expected to dispose of used toilet paper not in the toilet but in a bucket sitting beside it as the sanitary pipes are apparently too small to transfer it to the sewerage works.Maybe things have changed since then.

14 hours ago, ballygobackwards said:

We spent  a week there about 25years ago and were shocked at the number of stray cats and dogs roaming around. The island is beautiful but you are expected to dispose of used toilet paper not in the toilet but in a bucket sitting beside it as the sanitary pipes are apparently too small to transfer it to the sewerage works.Maybe things have changed since then.

Nah I was there in 2017 and still hadn’t to throw toilet paper in the bin. Which worked out really well when my friend ended up with diarrhea 🤢

15 minutes ago, Santitas said:

Nah I was there in 2017 and still hadn’t to throw toilet paper in the bin. Which worked out really well when my friend ended up with diarrhea 🤢

Hadn't to?  Or had to?

The trick is to put it in a plaggy bag in the bin and fasten the bag after use (spares the maid's sensibilities too). You can also not use paper but hop directly into the shower if you are in a hotel.

3 hours ago, optimista said:

The trick is to put it in a plaggy bag in the bin and fasten the bag after use (spares the maid's sensibilities too). You can also not use paper but hop directly into the shower if you are in a hotel.

Pity they don't use/have toilets like in Turkey and other Arab countries with a water jet, very practical, I would think, if you have a problem with paper.

Last year we did not fly to Santorini,  we decided that the island was too small for a week.

We flew to Madeira.

However, this March it's Greece. Aghia Galini on the south coast.

I had a look at the village close to John, but I am lazy. I just bought a package at the local travel agency.

Don´t come here today or tomorrow anyone! Strong SW wind from the Sahara..dusty sky/atmosphere:lol::lol:

IMG_0520.JPG

Santorini has a beautiful sunset but avoid it at all costs in July and August. It's also crowded and touristy in Sept or June but then again Mykonos, Crete, Rhodos and Kos are all packed. The only island I found that wasn't as stuffed was Symi but I only spent a couple of days there.

It seems the entire Mediterranean is overcrowded. I used to love Croatia but try going to Split in July and you'll see literally over 100.000 tourists getting ready for Ultra and Dubrovnik is undoable all year round.

Albania may be worth a visit. Haven't been but a girlfriend of mine was there and said it was a relief from the crowds in other countries.

1 hour ago, Svetlana.Petro said:

Albania may be worth a visit. Haven't been but a girlfriend of mine was there and said it was a relief from the crowds in other countries.

I`ve worked and touristed in Albania and I would certainly recommend it but many popular beaches are packed at 11 am in good weather in the high season, just the same, now.

My recent experience is that the crowds are getting crowdier but, step away and it is often OK.   I live part time by the east Berlin lakes now and that has increasing tourist hubs but a lot of it is still quite empty.  We went east to Poland for summer holiday and the city centres were either busy or heaving, but when, for example, we went just the couple of kilometres out of Poznan to the stunning Lake Malta and rode the model train up into the forest, that had far fewer visitors, almost all Polish.  Lakes are an alternate to ocean, perhaps, increasingly?  We were in (regular haunt) Belgrade at Christmas but spent most time in the adjoining Zemun town rather than the increasingly "samey" packed centre, and decided to stay there next time.  And so on.

1 hour ago, Svetlana.Petro said:

I used to love Croatia but try going to Split in July and you'll see literally over 100.000 tourists getting ready for Ultra and Dubrovnik is undoable all year round.

High season is high season. Crowded everywhere. When we go to Croatia, we go at the end of Aug. - early Sept. when most kids are back in school and all of the Italians have gone home. I still wouldn't think of going to Split or Dubrovnik. There are many beautiful and quieter locations.

BTW, you don't like crowds yet you said you're moving to Singapore? I lived there a while - most crowded place I ever lived. Year round. Claustrophobic but a good location as a base to see the rest of Asia/Australia. 

On 2/9/2019, 3:24:39, swimmer said:

I`ve worked and touristed in Albania and I would certainly recommend it but many popular beaches are packed at 11 am in good weather in the high season, just the same, now.

I'm inclined to go there this summer. I'm no longer looking for wild parties since I have a family. Any places in specific you would recommend?

On 2/9/2019, 3:24:39, swimmer said:

We were in (regular haunt) Belgrade at Christmas but spent most time in the adjoining Zemun town rather than the increasingly "samey" packed centre, and decided to stay there next time.  And so on.

I love Belgrade. It's so cheap (in a good way) and the food is awesome. I don't think I should go there for too long because the last time I gained 3-4 kg in a week (yes that is possible). :)

But I find the people there to be nice and generally very good looking.

On 2/9/2019, 3:31:46, fraufruit said:

High season is high season. Crowded everywhere. When we go to Croatia, we go at the end of Aug. - early Sept. when most kids are back in school and all of the Italians have gone home. I still wouldn't think of going to Split or Dubrovnik. There are many beautiful and

Where in Croatia do you usually go? I've been to Dubrovnik for a techno party in August 2004 and the next day it wasn't that bad. Any year after was a disaster. Split seemed OK until 5-6 years ago. I love the city but it seems it's all tourists and no locals anymore. Other than that Hvar, Brac, the entire Makarska region, anything in between Dubrovnik and Zadar seems so packed in the summer that you can't find a spot on the beach.

On 2/9/2019, 3:31:46, fraufruit said:

BTW, you don't like crowds yet you said you're moving to Singapore? I lived there a while - most crowded place I ever lived. Year round. Claustrophobic but a good location as a base to see the rest of Asia/Australia. 

Yes I am going to Singapore but that's going to be no vacation. And you don't need a car to get by. I usually end driving 200+ on the highway after spending sometime in traffic.

I would suggest doing some island hopping in Croatia. Many to choose from. As for beaches, they are mostly rocks with only few sand beaches.

I only used taxis in Singapore. Back then, the underground was one straight line and not very well connected. Too hot for me to take buses. I'd like to go back there some time and see how it has changed. You will absolutely love the food there.

We did Naxos in April. Which is 2 islands north, I think.

Weather was good. Beaches were better for there being no tourist yet.

But half the restaurants were closed and all major tourist activities weren't running yet. I'd hoped to take a wind/kite surfing class, but all 5 surfing schools on the west coast hadn't opened. There was one boat offering day-trips rather than the fleet that flyers at travel agents implied. April was definitely not "in season".