Santorini

33 posts in this topic

Since Ryanair now offers offers flights from Frankfurt to Santorini via Athens, we are thinking about spending a week (around middle of March) on the island.

Any recommendations concerning accomendation? What about the temperatures?

Last year we spent some days on the west coast of Sicily and it was almost colder than in Heidelberg (approx. 10°C).

I would prefer the Seychelles, but my wife thinks, that's too expensive just for one week.

I was in Santorini at the end of September 2017 (not March, sorry), and while it's a beautiful island, it was still fairly crowded in my opinion; however, it was the off-season, and the locals said that the crowds were nothing compared to the summer.  The weather was about 24 degrees, but the sun is so direct there that it felt much much hotter.  It feels super touristy, and I felt like most people are there simply to get selfies of the blue and white buildings (apparently it's a popular destination for Asians to take wedding photos). We were only there for three days, but that was more than enough.  We stayed in an AirBnB whose hosts failed to mention how many steps we'd have to take to get there and ended up switching to a hotel that was just off the main road in Oia.  

To be honest, Crete was much much nicer.  

2 hours ago, AnswerToLife42 said:

I would prefer the Seychelles, but my wife thinks, that's too expensive just for one week.

Sounds as if you should go & bed down @john g.'s place on Crete - apparently in a month's time you won't need socks...

1 hour ago, Santitas said:

To be honest, Crete was much much nicer.  

;)T-shirt weather here today, HEM! The washing dried ever so quickly on the balcony!!!:P

Early Spring feel around right now..flowers blooming very early and beautifully but the locals are worried..not good for the olive trees...very little rain this winter...

PS: our Dutch friends here went to Santorini a few weeks ago.for a week ..they slept in a tent (they are in their 60s...) and it rained every day...

Meanwhile, back to the real world...this is close to our area:

https://www.google.gr/search?q=mochlos+crete&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&fir=Rho_GX_duAy_0M%253A%252Chd0E4tuFQ90YZM%252C_&usg=__5mepSpI-0OWODOBXMPXsMtAEGc4%3D&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi8_-Ttwp7ZAhXFDSwKHXiQCl4Q9QEIQzAF#imgrc=8HXZ9p29pwASPM:

Crete in preference to Santorini for me.  Kefalonia is ok.   Naxos has some great beaches.   Most Greek islands are great but I do like Crete.  

We just came back from Rhodes and it was great. The old town is a huge medieval fortress and most of it is in very good nick. The master's palace is impressive and there are various other museums and churches worthy of a visit.

A nice plus was that it's offseason in December and all the tacky shops in the old town were closed. :-) Paradise!

On 5.1.2019, 11:47:03, Smaug said:

We just came back from Rhodes and it was great. The old town is a huge medieval fortress and most of it is in very good nick. The master's palace is impressive and there are various other museums and churches worthy of a visit.

A nice plus was that it's offseason in December and all the tacky shops in the old town were closed. :-) Paradise!

How warm was it while you were there?

We just got back from Tenerife an it was about 22 to 25 degrees, but the flight was a bit long for me tbh, so something closer would be nice. Although are there direct flights to the Greek Islands in the winter?

45 minutes ago, Santitas said:

We just got back from Tenerife an it was about 22 to 25 degrees,

Santa Cruz or Grand Canaria? 

Reason I ask is that the flights to Cape Verde have gotten expensive and I'm just looking for beach to fly a kite on for a few days in February and escape the Berlin grey.  Thanks  in advance for any info / recommendations.

Gran Canaria is a different island :). Most people go to the south of Teneriffa, e.g. Playa de las Americas. Portugal might be an option too.

I remember Santorini many years ago, was so beautiful . Now it is overpriced and overcrowded almost all year long.

Still romantic but it is only ideal if you are willing to spend a lot and avoid it in August.

Same goes with Paros and don't get me started in Myconos :D 

If someone is looking for a good tip regarding Greek Islands, I would highly recommend Milos. Beautiful, amazing beaches and water quality,

great food and people. Especially if you go a bit off season End August - September or even October (Herbstferien in Germany), the prices are great,

water temperature still very good,

Yep - my bad ... I tend to thing that through my bad geographical knowledge that anything in the same archipelago will be close to the same so I'd be looking for recommendations for anything on the islands.  For me, Fuerteventura would be the best option since I want to windsurf / do kite related and scuba diving stuff but if Santitas has just been in the area, I'd be willing to explore other areas.

ETA:  I just keep reading john g's accounts of animal treatment in his area of the world so it puts me off from the general area.

1 hour ago, chooyo said:

Santa Cruz or Grand Canaria? 

Reason I ask is that the flights to Cape Verde have gotten expensive and I'm just looking for beach to fly a kite on for a few days in February and escape the Berlin grey.  Thanks  in advance for any info / recommendations.

Then Tenerife is the place to go.  Nothing but sun and anywhere from 22 to 25 degrees.  We were on the southern part of the island, but on the eastern part, which is windier than the south west part.  There were tons of people kitesurfing/windsurfing where we were (El Medano). If you go in February, don't go when the kids have Winterferien (4 February-8 February)!! Go the week before or the week after.  It'll probably be much cheaper

9 minutes ago, Alexnf said:

I remember Santorini many years ago, was so beautiful . Now it is overpriced and overcrowded almost all year long.

Still romantic but it is only ideal if you are willing to spend a lot and avoid it in August.

Same goes with Paros and don't get me started in Myconos :D 

If someone is looking for a good tip regarding Greek Islands, I would highly recommend Milos. Beautiful, amazing beaches and water quality,

great food and people. Especially if you go a bit off season End August - September or even October (Herbstferien in Germany), the prices are great,

water temperature still very good,

I went to Santorini at the end of September 2017, and it was overrun with Americans looking for the perfect sunset shot and also with Asians taking wedding photos with drones. The steps to get down to our Air BnB almost killed us too.:wacko:

We like Ibiza - especially in September (school time!).

Ibiza is much more than party, party, party (which we have never done).  My wife prefers the island way above Mallorca.  Ibiza does tend to be more expensive than Mallorca (starting with flights being fewer & costing more).

We had 2 great weeks in Cala Llenya (North-East) in September 2018 (despite the numerous T-Storms).

Have booked again for 2019.

19 hours ago, Santitas said:

How warm was it while you were there [Rhodes]?

We just got back from Tenerife an it was about 22 to 25 degrees, but the flight was a bit long for me tbh, so something closer would be nice. Although are there direct flights to the Greek Islands in the winter?

We had a stop over in Athens.

It's not nearly as warm in the Greek islands as in the Canaries. Also, the days are quite short so forget about having a nice supper outside while enjoying the sunset in short sleeves. On the warmest days some people even swim in the sea in the afternoons but it was too cold for me!

We spent  a week there about 25years ago and were shocked at the number of stray cats and dogs roaming around. The island is beautiful but you are expected to dispose of used toilet paper not in the toilet but in a bucket sitting beside it as the sanitary pipes are apparently too small to transfer it to the sewerage works.Maybe things have changed since then.

Nothing has changed, ballygobackwards!

The toilet stuff...you get used to it.

But the cats and dogs issue is even worse now. I live in Greece.

Just an example: it has been pouring down tonight..biblical floods in our village. One of our neighbours,a Greek, is sitting at home in the warm ( I saw he had brought firewood on his pickup today ).

His dog: on the patio, soaking wet, his shit strewed around. The dog never goes inside the house.

The guy doesn´t care. He tells us he loves his dog...does he fuck.:angry::angry:. His dog is just a status symbol. Big and beautiful and living a totally useless, loveless life...24 hours a day alone..come rain come shine.