Australian (male) Parent of German child living in Hamburg

19 posts in this topic

Hey guys,

my partner of 5 yrs decided she didn’t want to live in Australia any more, and took our 2 yr old girl to live just outside Hamburg. Both are German citizens (I made sure to get her German citizenship just after sh was born) - I am not. I have dual Australian/New Zealand nationalities. We were never married.

i have just received a letter for child support payments from her local “council”. That’s fine, I don’t have a problem paying apart from the inconvenience of sending an international transfer... there must be a better way?

my question is this:

Since I will be paying child support, am I entitled to German residency via my daughter?

work is not an issue for me, as I run my own company via the web. But the thought never occurred to me that I may be entitled to residency in Germany?

i love Germany, have been many times, and will continue to go most summers regardless. living costs seem reasonable - with the exception of the compulsory health insurance. I am also a variety artist, so may be able to apply for some artist insurance - which is much more reasonable from what I’ve heard.

any pointers would be much appreciated.

:)

I think you may have found good luck in misfortune, or Glueck im Unglueck!

18 minutes ago, katheliz said:

I think you may have found good luck in misfortune, or Glueck im Unglueck!

fingers crossed,

it would be nice - im all about having options.

1 hour ago, MyGirlfriendIsGerman said:

my question is this:

Since I will be paying child support, am I entitled to German residency via my daughter?

Yes, you can get German residency for having a German child.  I think you should start asking at the German embassy.

thanks guys,

thats great news

ill send the local consulate a message now - to see exactly what is involved.

being closer to my daughter would be awesome, and I needed a  change of scenery anyway.

As an Australian citizen you don´t have to go through the embassy.You could come to Germany and apply from there. Might be the faster route.

52 minutes ago, jeba said:

As an Australian citizen you don´t have to go through the embassy.You could come to Germany and apply from there. Might be the faster route.

Nice!

good to know

Im not in a rush though,

ill finish up the summer/spring here - and maybe move over in the German spring

Maybe you can pay through Paypal if wire transfers from a bank each month are not worth the fees?

Whatever you do, don't pay her directly in cash.  In a worst case scenario, you will need proof that you paid.

On 11/02/2018, 6:51:42, sonazeit said:

Maybe you can pay through Paypal if wire transfers from a bank each month are not worth the fees?

I emailed the email address includdd on he letter to see if there are any better payment options

im still waiting to hear back from the consulate on what visa I would apply for...

i saw there is a family visa, but I won’t be living with my child, as I am separated from her mother. I’m not sure a family visa is the right one...

i dont want to throw away my life here in oz if it’s not 100% that I can relocate to Germany.

I know a man who got his papers in Germany for having a child and he's definitely not living with the mother.  I don't think it's an issue if you are willing to be a part of the child's life.  But if you want to make sure, get it organized through the embassy before you go.

2 hours ago, LeonG said:

I know a man who got his papers in Germany for having a child and he's definitely not living with the mother.  I don't think it's an issue if you are willing to be a part of the child's life.  But if you want to make sure, get it organized through the embassy before you go.

Thats great!

I’m pretty sure it’s ok too, from what I’ve found on the internet. I just need to be sure before I sell my car and move out of my apartment.

11 minutes ago, MyGirlfriendIsGerman said:

Thats great!

I’m pretty sure it’s ok too, from what I’ve found on the internet. I just need to be sure before I sell my car and move out of my apartment.

Are you on good terms with your ex ?

It will help if you are.

On 15/02/2018, 6:38:16, RenegadeFurther said:

Are you on good terms with your ex ?

It will help if you are.

yes

we're on good terms, she has no problems helping me out with anything I need to do to make this work

Paypal is an option, but Transferwise.com is by far the best thing I've found so far. It costs only a few dollars to send money (way cheaper than banks or Western Union). Plus, you get $50 foe every person you refer that signs up (so I wouldn't mind if you told them my name). ;-) lol

It really does work tho. 

HiFX is a cheap money transfer option available for one off payments or regular. Worked out cheaper than a bank. 

some good news.

I rented my own apartment, and have been getting all my documents together slowly.

im not in a rush (well my tourist visa runs out in 2 weeks - so it kinda ended up being a rush)

But I went in today to the Ausländerbehörde in HH, waited in line for 4hrs with all my documents.

(I got there at 7am - and was #41 in line!)

So, It seems like everything is fine, they gave me a 3 month extension to my visa.

I just need to get an Apostlille for my Childs birth certificate in Berlin, which ill do next week.

and also they gave me a letter to give to my ex for her to sign and return - I haven't read it, but they say it was for proof that I see my daughter regularly.

super easy really - all it takes is time.

Hopefully becoming a resident (with full living, and working rights... should I need it) will just be a formality after I return the letter and Apostilled Birth certificate.

This is what I applied for:

Die Aufenthaltserlaubnis ist dem ausländischen - Eltern eines minderjährigen ledigen Deutschen zur Ausübung der Personage

and here are the documents I needed, in case anyone else is in the same situation:

• Passport (mine)
  • Passport (my daughters)
  • Birth Certificate (my daughters - it still needs to be Apostilled at the Australian Consulate)
  • Sorgeerklärung (proof that I also have custodial rights for my daughter?)
  • Meldebestätigung (mine)
  • Steur ID (mine)
  • 113 euro fee

I managed to accomplish everything in English.

<off topic>loving the uncharacteristically hot summer here too! it reminds my of home</off topic>

:D

And today I got my 1yr residence permit... well, apparently it will take around 3weeks to arrive in the mail... but still.