Health Insurance For Pre-Existing Pregnancy [Postdoc with Stipendium]

7 posts in this topic

Hi Toytowners!

I have been following the forum for a month and got many helpful ideas about daily of Germany. Thanks for all these advices and helps.

Me and my wife are living out side of EU (Turkey). We're not EU citizen.  I got a postdoc stipend (it's tax free, so I have to pay my insurance) and we have been preparing ourselves for moving to Berlin since last month. 

Last week we got a great news! We are going to have a baby. Now we have to check our moving plans again. The host insitute adviced to me a simple private insurance plan, but from what I've read on Toytown, I realized that it does not really cover much. So I'm still looking for a health insurance which would cover an existing pregnancy. I have two urgent questions, and would be very happy if you give any advice.

1) After explain my concerns about private insurance, the officer of host institute offered me another option to getting an insurance from public insurer TK which is 10 times more expensive (around 500 eu)  than private one.  If I accept to pay this amount, would it  cover an existing pregnancy?

2) I have also read that even if Turkey is not an Eu member, there is a special agreement between Turkey and Germany, which is if you are insured in Turkey you may apply for its transfer. Does it work as much as the service that a public insurance gives?

Thanks in advance.

2 hours ago, postdocdoc said:

Last week we got a great news! We are going to have a baby.

Congratulations!

1) After explain my concerns about private insurance, the officer of host institute offered me another option to getting an insurance from public insurer TK which is 10 times more expensive (around 500 eu)  than private one.  If I accept to pay this amount, would it  cover an existing pregnancy?

Yes, Techniker Krankenkasse (TK) is a German public health insurance that covers all pre-existing conditions, including pregnancy: https://www.tk.de/tk/english/610312

It would only cost 500€ if your monthly Stipendium is 2850€ (and if you don't have any additional worldwide income like, for example, interest, dividends or rental income).

Just enter 2850 into this TK calculator: https://www.tk.de/service/app/2004108/beitragsrechner/selbststaendigeRechner.app

The monthly contribution would cover you, your non-working wife (only as long as her worldwide income is below 435€ a month), and all your children.

2) I have also read that even if Turkey is not an Eu member, there is a special agreement between Turkey and Germany, which is if you are insured in Turkey you may apply for its transfer. Does it work as much as the service that a public insurance gives?

There is a social security agreement between Germany and Turkey of 30.04.1964 (see here for the German version), but I don't know of how much use it would be to you.

I only know of it because it has some strange clauses, which means that it regularly appears as an apple of discord in German newspaper articles.

Normally, German public health insurance only covers your non-working spouse and children for free, and only as long as they live in Germany.

Well, this old social security agreement says that if somebody has German public health insurance, also their relatives living in Turkey, i.e. spouse, children, parents and unmarried daughters over 18 in Turkey are covered for free by it, i.e. these relatives in Turkey can get medical treatment in Turkey and the German public health insurance has to reimburse these costs.

This has caused complaints, since Turkish parents are covered, but German parents aren't covered.

Please see here for an article (machine-translated into English) on this topic, and here's the German original article which links to this page in German (and here is that page machine-translated into English).

You should probably ask at the Turkish institution mentioned in the agreement, the "Sosyal Sigortalar Kurumu" whether you would have any advantages because of it, or at the German institution that deals with cross-border public health insurance cases, the DVKA.

Dear @PandaMunich thank you for your good wishes and all the detailed information. I am glad to hear all of this. For th second question, I was referrin to a more recent version  (2012) of the agreement. On SGK's website there is some information in Turkish : http://www.sgk.gov.tr/wps/wcm/connect/SGK+Internet/emeklilik/yurtdisi_islemler/yurtdisi_saglik_islemleri/ Here it is  very roughly said that those Turkish citizens who are on temporary/permanent duty abroad, or their families are allowed to use this facility.

I have also downloaded the exact regulations sheet, which is not very concise about certain details. I am still searching for this option. However, TK sounds very promising, given the current conditions. 

Hello every body,

I am writing here about a situation like Postdocdoc in 2018.

I am a Non-EU citizen, going to be a post-doc in Germany with monthly salary of about 3500 Euro (tax free) starting from next year.

We have recently realized that my wife is pregnant and we need a health insurance which covers pre-existing pregnancy. Private health insurances are not good choices (as you know) and they don't cover pre-existing pregnancies.

I asked TK as a public health insurance provider and they replied me that it is not possible for people with my conditions to be a member of public health insurances.

I am really confused and disappointed, what should I do? any suggestion is appreciated.

Thanks.

How come you´re employed but not eligible for public health insurance? Have you been staying in Germany for more than 3 months? Has your wife? I´m no expert but from what I read here on TT if you really can´t join public insurance you´d be entitled to be accepted in the "Basistarif" of private health insurance which only provides a basic cover at (very high cost though). You might approach an insurance broker for help. E. g. https://www.toytowngermany.com/forum/topic/165394-john-gunn-partner-independent-insurance-broker-for-expats/ or https://www.crcie.com/contact/

Hi Jeba,

Scholarship holders are not employees since our stipend is tax-free.

I am going to stay in Germany for three years along with my wife.

Anyway, thanks for providing me with the John's contact info.

Let me check my condition with him.

Thanks