Anhoerung for late anmeldung

14 posts in this topic

I am in total panic.

Long story short, after some paperwork re-organization, I couldn't find anything to say I was anmelded at my current place. Trying to do the right thing, I immediately went to the amt the next day. They didnt have me listed at my newer address so I had to backdate um-meld a number of years there and then. 

The clerk told me she couldn't overlook me being several years late, and said there would be a strafe up to 4 figures. She also mentioned something about Anhoerung and I'd get a letter or something. I'm guessing she passes it tu another department.

When she mentioned Anhoerung, I felt physically sick. Isn't that a court hearing? Can I go to prison? I'm absolutely freaking out right now. 

While I wait for the letters to arrive, has anyone had an Anhoerung on this or something similar? What happens usually? 

And yes, I'm such an idiot for not anmelding sooner.

Don´t worry,europaeuropa! You won´t go to prison ( that would be one hell of an Ummeldung!! ). But, yes, expect  a fine. May I also enquire if you´re correctly health insured? Not being angemeldet and not being correctly health insured often go hand in hand (but don´t want to freak you out )...

When she mentioned Anhoerung, I felt physically sick. Isn't that a court hearing? Can I go to prison? I'm absolutely freaking out right now. 

While I wait for the letters to arrive, has anyone had an Anhoerung on this or something similar? What happens usually? 

It is not a court hearing, but rather you will receive a letter outlining what laws they think you have broken (IIRC they need you to agree if they want to do a mündliche Anhörung). You then have the opportunity to state your case by sending a written response within a certain timeframe. 

Wait till you get the letter and then consider consulting a lawyer.

^ Thanks for the explanations guys. I'm terrified for when the letter comes.

@ john g I've been ummelded at the correct current address for pretty much everything else except the amt. So Tax, health, rente. Probably even police from when I reported apartment break-in ages ago.

"up to 4 figures" is the keyword here. Unfortunately it depends on the person dealing with it, but usually it's much less. You had every intention to change your address, but you forgot and didn't realise you had forgotten. Shit happens. Be apologetic about it and promise not to do it again.

This is an "Ordnungswidrigkeit", i.e. the same level as an (expensive)  parking ticket.

9 hours ago, europaeuropa said:

^ Thanks for the explanations guys. I'm terrified for when the letter comes.

@ john g I've been ummelded at the correct current address for pretty much everything else except the amt. So Tax, health, rente. Probably even police from when I reported apartment break-in ages ago.

About 10 years ago,europaeuropa, I accompanied my girlfriend´s lazy student son to the Anmeldeamt in Hamburg. He was months late registering.  Son and i googled the address of the relevant Amt and went there the next day. There was a sign on the door .- they´d moved!

We went there and waited a while and then got to speak to a stoney-faced woman case worker, who said 30 euros or something for not registering for three months. When I pointed out, her Amt hadn´t " umgemeldet " on their website, I was greeted  with frostiness and the words " 30 euros "!!!!:lol:

It always depends on the person here (which is BS). probably the next person you went to wouldnt have cared. 

i didnt register in my new apartment for about 6 months, just went there and registered. They didnt ask when I moved there so I didnt tell them. 

Well, yes, Adem! Same with any officialdom...often depends if someone is in a good mood (favourite team won last night, had other good news etc..or the other way around  ).

I just realized I better update this for closure. In the end I got the letter, decided to send back a response to be considered in the Anhoerung (you don't have to send a response).

The c.un.t.y thing they did was not to respond to my response within the 90 days limit which incurs it's own statute of limitations. On the 100th or so day after their letter to me (after I had already heaved a sigh of relief - tough luck they didn't respond in time) they decided to issue me with a small fine (Eur 80)

Had I the energy, and had the amount been greater, I would have lawyered up and fought their tardiness to respond within 90 days. But that didn't seem right considering my tardiness to ummeld. Besides, I had greater fish to fry, so I just paid the fine immediately and sucked it up. Lesson learned. 

Thank you for the update! This is valuable information for others.

I agree, 80 Euros are not worth the trouble. Peace of mind is way more important.

Question all...

I, like the original poster, am freaking out right now. I moved to our flat about six years ago and I SWEAR that I did the Anmeldung but I just rearranged and edited down all my papers not too long ago and I cannot find it. At least not yet.

My question is, I have my confirmation of my changed Steuernummer from the Finanzamt with my current address on it. I cannot see a date anywhere on the form but does this mean that I had to have registered? My health insurance, car insurance and registration, everything is coming to me at this address. But if I received a new Steurnummer at the new address does that mean I did it?

And if so, does anyone know a way to request a copy of the Anmeldung if I really cannot find it or do I have to go to the Bürgeramt anyway?

Ugh, I feel buried in administrative paperwork all the time here.

Tboz

26 minutes ago, tboz said:

I, like the original poster, am freaking out right now. I moved to our flat about six years ago and I SWEAR that I did the Anmeldung but I just rearranged and edited down all my papers not too long ago and I cannot find it. At least not yet.

Just get down there tell them you did the anmeldung (true as far as you remember) but cannot find the paperwork.  They will crack out a new one and charge you 5 bucks or so for it.

If you didnt anmeld then, then you need to do it sooner or later and any fine now is unilkely to be less if you wait longer.  If you did then you get a spare certificate for next to nothing which it seems you will need at some point or other anyway.

41 minutes ago, zwiebelfisch said:

Just get down there tell them you did the anmeldung (true as far as you remember) but cannot find the paperwork.  They will crack out a new one and charge you 5 bucks or so for it.

If you didnt anmeld then, then you need to do it sooner or later and any fine now is unilkely to be less if you wait longer.  If you did then you get a spare certificate for next to nothing which it seems you will need at some point or other anyway.

Thanks, Zwiebelfish. That sounds reasonable enough. I am still really scared that somehow I got distracted and forgot. I moved under an extremely stressful situation, but I have seen in a couple places that I cannot receive a new Steuernummer at a new address unless I have done this. Which I do have in my possession. 

It has just been 6 YEARS so if I did somehow get distracted by other stuff (though, I remember stressing about getting it done) that was a major deal. I would be in major s**t if I had to pay a huge fine right now. 

Not a religious person, but I pray that it is not a huge deal!

Tboz