Recommendations for 3 car seats to fit in the back row

13 posts in this topic

Hi All.

I have just moved here from Australia and need to buy new car seats.

Can someone recommend a combination of 3 seats that will fit across a single row?

I need a baby seat (capsule) plus two harnessed FF seats (not boosters) for a 2 year old and a small 4 year old.

My car has no tether anchors so only isofix or three point seat belt attachment will work.

I am having trouble finding 'slim' seats that will fit.

Thank you!

In general not all cars can support three seats across the back rows if you want ISO fixings. I was looking at the Seat Alhambra and this was in fact one of the selling points (although we didn't need it).

Even if the car can support it, it depends on the width and style of the car seats.  I found these post which might be a little old, but could point you in the right direction. (and you can probably find more, and more recent)

https://www.netmums.com/coffeehouse/children-parenting-190/primary-school-age-4-11-years-60/1040783-can-you-fit-3-boosters-n-back-seat-vw-touran-pls-help-me.html

http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php/55860-3-Child-seats-in-the-middle-row-of-a-Touran

To be honest, I would not ask at the dealer because they will not always know and would try and sell you their seats which are normally full prices models.  I would go to a good baby/child shop such as BabyOne BabyWalz or similar. and ask them.  They will advise, you can probably also try and fit while you are there it and then at least if it does not fit then you know straight away and they should give you your money back/swap it.

Thankyou!! The Touran post is terrific.

I just pickef up the car today and the back seats are much bigger than our old car so I have just been doing a lot of research in which are the narrower seats.  Am much more confident now that I will find a combination that works.

I'm a bit puzzled - I had a VW Touran 2l Diesel as company car for 3 years and it had 3 seats across the back as standard.

Best car we have ever had (had to return it last Monday :(  )

Whist looking for a replacement to buy (no company car any more) The local Nissane dealer described the Touran as being a "Raumwunder".

(I now have a Toyota Verso with Tageszulassung).

5 hours ago, HEM said:

I'm a bit puzzled - I had a VW Touran 2l Diesel as company car for 3 years and it had 3 seats across the back as standard.

Best car we have ever had (had to return it last Monday :(  )

Three child safety seats (a.k.a. "car seats") meeting the OP's specs (one Infant and 2 toddler)?  In my experience not many cars will fit 3 standard-width safety seats across the backseat; to fit 3 toddler seats across the back of our (seemingly expansive) Mercedes E-class estate a few years ago, we ended up having to import extra-narrow safety seats from the US (Sunshine Radian, I think they were - maybe not on the market anymore). They were very safe, extremely heavy (steel-framed), yet narrower-than-usual seats but probably not street-legal in Germany given that we imported them.  We had the same problem with high-back boosters as our kids grew larger: it's great to have the back-and-sides for safety and so kids are supported while dozing, yet the high-back boosters are all so wide that we could only ever fit two high-backed and one low-backed across the back seat of our car - the shoulder and head parts are just too wide. Even with the narrowest high-back booster seats on the market, we would've needed a third row of seating in order to fit 3. 

45 minutes ago, liebling said:

Three child safety seats (a.k.a. "car seats") meeting the OP's specs (one Infant and 2 toddler)?  In my experience not many cars will fit 3 standard-width safety seats across the backseat; 

This thread gives a solution for a Touran.  Whether it is the right sort of Touran, or whether the seats specified are right for the children, I am not sure.

https://www.motor-talk.de/forum/touran-2016-sitzbreite-kindersitze-t5501414.html

Danke, this link is great. I didn't realise you could move the seats individually, that is brilliant.

On 2/4/2018, 5:09:51, liebling said:

In my experience not many cars will fit 3 standard-width safety seats across the backseat; to fit 3 toddler seats across the back of our (seemingly expansive) Mercedes E-class estate a few years ago, we ended up having to import extra-narrow safety seats from the US (Sunshine Radian, I think they were - maybe not on the market anymore).

maybe I just crowded them in, but I had no trouble putting three kids next to each other in safety seats in a circa 2002 Opel Astra station wagon, and that was not a generously sized car. 

OPEL-Astra-2-0-Caravan--1998-2000-.jpg

I will admit that it was painful to buckle and unbuckle them though.

18 hours ago, DoubleDTown said:

maybe I just crowded them in, but I had no trouble putting three kids next to each other in safety seats in a circa 2002 Opel Astra station wagon, and that was not a generously sized car. 

18 hours ago, DoubleDTown said:

I will admit that it was painful to buckle and unbuckle them though.

I still miss the days of the toddler/infant seats, when we (or the kids) could buckle the 5-point belt with no need to reach between the (in our case crushed-together) seats. I'm amazed that you get/got 3 (high-backed?) seats across the back row of your Astra.  My kids can only all buckle in if they do it in a certain order; otherwise the seats (2 high-backed boosters, 1 backless) are so tightly crammed together that it becomes impossible for the middle child to access her buckle and much frustration and arguing ensue, delaying every car ride by at least 5 minutes.

I wonder whether it's a combination of side airbags (etc.) in newer cars, plus ever-more elaborate/wider child-safety seats making things more squished even in estates/Kombis/station wagons that seem relatively big nowadays. Ours seems huge until you try to fit the seats across the back. (Vans or pseudo-vans are a different story, of course).  My friends with 3 similarly-aged kids have all had to switch to vans, abandoning kombis by Volvo, Ford and Mercedes as too narrow. In our case this didn't work due to the needs of the adult drivers, which couldn't be met in any vans we looked at.

In any case, it's great if the Touran does the job for the OP.  Happy trails!

On 2/10/2018, 10:58:42, liebling said:

I'm amazed that you get/got 3 (high-backed?) seats across the back row of your Astra. 

Well, it was two high-backs and one "5 point" Roemer-something-or-other.   And yes, there was often some drama involved with operating the seat belts.  A 7-seat, three-row car was a big help not just in avoiding the seat belt issue, but in avoiding squabbles by having two rows to split kids up a bit.

astra with 3 seats.jpg

As my children are young, I wanted all 5pt harnesses but as I did the research realised that is much easier to buckle than attempt the lapsash belt. I think the two harnessed seats we got will fit an infant capsule as well when we need it but I am not looking forward to when the eldest moves to the booster phase and I have to do the lapsash seatbelt!