Customs at Munich airport

105 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, Smaug said:

I keep SIMs from 5 countries and I thought I was nuts! :D I'm so glad to find someone nuttier (and who loves cheese too!).

5 hours ago, LeCheese said:

On an aside, if you have a sim lock free phone, just buy a prepaid sim card wherever you are - I think I have  seven or eight from different countries.

I guess you keep most of them from pre free roaming times in the EU. It makes a lot of sense: I was always reluctant to buy an Austrian SIM and used to spend a ton of money while there. Now there are no roaming charges in Austria.

Yes, you are right. They are an heirloom from the roaming days.

I'm keeping them all live for now but I'll probably end up only keeping the UK one (who knows if roaming will come back in a year) and the Spanish one (just because my Spanish bank will absolutely not let me keep an account with them without a Spanish mobile number).

I also have a US SIM card, so if anyone needs to activate a smuggled Samsung phone I'll help in exchange for a stiff drink in a bar of my choice :D

On 2/12/2018, 11:12:20, yourkeau said:

The proper thing is to buy electronics in the EU...

A 500 million market has everything you want, no need to fuck with the Zoll.

If you need a US keyboard, many manufacturers offer it for no additional price.

It all sounds a bit Soviet: "The union provides everything you need." "We have a huge market, better than the west". The union demands obedience. OK ok. I get it pay the taxes, support society...

You people in the old world are just a little too accepting of the rules sometimes...

Live Free or Die as the Americans used to say... 

but we are all trading liberty for security these days... I'll admit that's why i'm here... but damn it, it's hard to just lie there , close my eyes,  and think of England all the time like you lads. :P

maybe after being here longer like you all, I'll finally learn to love it.

44 minutes ago, wien4ever said:

It all sounds a bit Soviet: "The union provides everything you need." "We have a huge market, better than the west". The union demands obedience. OK ok. I get it pay the taxes, support society...

You people in the old world are just a little too accepting of the rules sometimes...

Live Free or Die as the Americans used to say... 

but we are all trading liberty for security these days... I'll admit that's why i'm here... but damn it, it's hard to just lie there , close my eyes,  and think of England all the time like you lads. :P

maybe after being here longer like you all, I'll finally learn to love it.

I don't remember you complaining about totalitarian surveillance state, so stop the drama. As 99% of citizens you want more police to protect from terrorism. Police requires money. Money is gained from taxes.

If you want to pay less taxes, you need to have less government.

P.S. American freedoms are valid only within one federal state. Interstate trade as well as international imports/exports are controlled by the feds...

Where is Spiderpig when you need him. I am growing weary of the sermons and pedantry from above.

On 2/12/2018, 1:12:20, yourkeau said:

The proper thing is to buy electronics in the EU...

A 500 million market has everything you want, no need to fuck with the Zoll.

You're delusional.

There are many, many, many items available in the US which are not available in Europe, and very often if they are available in the EU they are much more expensive.

The only place I've heard of baggage being inspected for contraband iPhones/iPads bought for personal use is...Germany.  And the number of sanctimonius prigs on this forum who are shocked and appalled that someone would not declare and pay the duties on a personal iPhone is rather mind-boggling.

The problem with multiple sims, is that once you swap them then, its hard to contact you on a sim that you have just taken out of the phone, so you have to give everybody, like 2 numbers for your different sims, or you have to check ( by again swapping the sims )  to 'see' if anybody has maybe rung your other number.

Having two mobile phones avoids this, but then you have to mange 2 phones aswell..

I bought a dual sim phone, so I can keep receiving calls abroad on my home SIM and get a local SIM card for use in a foreign country, which is ok, for 2 country's.

Of course apple do not do a dual sim phone, but Samsung, Motorola and many other cheaper phones like oneplus do.     

3 hours ago, naberlin said:

There are many, many, many items available in the US which are not available in Europe, and very often if they are available in the EU they are much more expensive.

You can order any of such items produced in China, but "not available" in the EU (translation into plain English: not sold in local village electronics shop, too lazy to look online), pay the VAT, no problem. It's not forbidden to bring these items.

The only place I've heard of baggage being inspected for contraband iPhones/iPads bought for personal use is...Germany.

"I've heard" is a brilliant argument. Then just do not fly to Frankfurt, fly to Amsterdam or London, problem solved.

And the number of sanctimonius prigs on this forum who are shocked and appalled that someone would not declare and pay the duties on a personal iPhone is rather mind-boggling.

Stop crying. Nobody is going to report you to the Zoll or read the moral lectures. We are just stating the facts what is legal and what is not.

But next time you complain about Syrians, Africans or other foreigners not following the German law I will remind what you posted on this thread.

The problem with multiple sims, is that once you swap them then, its hard to contact you on a sim that you have just taken out of the phone, so you have to give everybody, like 2 numbers for your different sims, or you have to check ( by again swapping the sims )  to 'see' if anybody has maybe rung your other number.

The Western civilization has invented WhatsApp or other messengers, or E-Mail for non emergency. But yes, since Germany is still in stone age, better to keep the same number online.

40 minutes ago, yesterday said:

The problem with multiple sims, is that once you swap them then, its hard to contact you on a sim that you have just taken out of the phone

Not really, you give those who need it ( lets say Norway ) your Norwegian number, ditto any other country you are in. it's simple to make a list of numbers of the country you are in / will be and send them via SMS / whatsapp.

Frankly, 90% of my private calls are via whatsapp these days.

These days with No roaming charges in the EU, you don't need to swap unless you want a break from those who don't have the Norwegian number

The only place I've heard of baggage being inspected for contraband iPhones/iPads bought for personal use is...Germany. 

Try it in Norway, Sweden, UK etc.  report back here the result

The only place I've heard of baggage being inspected for contraband iPhones/iPads bought for personal use is...Germany.  And the number of sanctimonius prigs on this forum who are shocked and appalled that someone would not declare and pay the duties on a personal iPhone is rather mind-boggling.

I have never been on an international flight where there wasn't a customs authority which can perform "random" checks at the arrival airport (schengen is not international in this case).

They are normally not looking for the single iphone you bought from the USA but contraband is contraband

40 minutes ago, yourkeau said:

But next time you complain about Syrians, Africans or other foreigners not following the German law I will remind what you posted on this thread.

You must have the wrong guy, because I have never complained about Syrians, Africans, or anyone else not following German law, and don't expect that I will ever do so.

28 minutes ago, msam said:

I have never been on an international flight where there wasn't a customs authority which can perform "random" checks at the arrival airport (schengen is not international in this case).

They are normally not looking for the single iphone you bought from the USA but contraband is contraband

Of course customs authorities can perform random checks, but most of them recognize that trying to catch people bringing in individual electronic devices is not worth their time.  Your assertion that "contraband is contraband" is, well, completely absurd...are you suggesting, for instance, that bringing in an undeclared iPhone should be treated the same as someone bringing in a suitcase full of cocaine, or weapons?

19 minutes ago, naberlin said:

are you suggesting, for instance, that bringing in an undeclared iPhone should be treated the same as someone bringing in a suitcase full of cocaine, or weapons?

OP is also not sitting in prison. They got 137 euro fine.

After all the checks we were shocked to receive an invoice for 274 Euros - to be paid immediately :(.  The reason being that we have to pay German sales tax of 137 euros plus a fine of 137 Euros for non-declaration.

Well, I think the future is customs free worldwide area. But at the moment we have to deal with the customs.

It was way, way worse earlier. The Zoll used to shoot at coffee smugglers from Belgium, who brought coffee with armored vehicles stolen from US army!

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aachener_Kaffeefront

Next time be sure to remove all price tags from things you buy. Don't leave the newly-bought clothes in their nice shopping bags; scrunch them up a bit, make it look like you took them out there with you. There is no way they can prove you bought the clothes while away. I don't buy electricals while away, but I certainly purchase shoes, t-shirts, etc, and I've been checked numerous times when flying back from Asia (with my rucksack, so they often want a little look) and have never had to pay any taxes even when I flew out with next to no clothes, and flew back with a backpack full of nice new clothes, belts, shoes, coats, etc.

4 minutes ago, yourkeau said:

It was way, way worse earlier. The Zoll used to shoot at coffee smugglers from Belgium, who brought coffee with armored vehicles stolen from US army!

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aachener_Kaffeefront

Oh dear! :o

I was once thoroughly checked driving from Luxembourg to Germany and asked if I was bringing in coffee. They thoroughly checked me and the car, but I suspect they were more interested in finding money than coffee.

Coffee is cheaper in Luxembourg than in Germany and Germans buy loads of it at the border gas station at Wasserbillig. Of course, as far as it's for private consumption, there's no strict limit on how much you can bring it.

In Germany there's still a Kaffesteuer, which brings in substantial revenues to the state coffers: http://www.faz.net/aktuell/wirtschaft/kaffeekonsum-bringt-staat-mehr-als-eine-milliarde-an-steuern-14390633.html

20 minutes ago, Smaug said:

I was once thoroughly checked driving from Luxembourg to Germany and asked if I was bringing in coffee. They thoroughly checked me and the car, but I suspect they were more interested in finding money than coffee.

Who knows, maybe they indeed were looking for industrial quantities of coffee. There are limits within the EU, but they are usually too high for any private person to bother. But business people must pay this coffee tax.

The Zoll here in Hof once arrested a restaurant owner who brought too much wine from Italy without reporting to the Zoll. That was last year or a year before, don't remember. Happens not often.

5 hours ago, naberlin said:

sanctimonius prigs on this forum 

This site can be entertaining, but there are certain members ("Yorkeau", number one) who seem to have a full-time job monitoring and proselytizing. Sad life.

5 hours ago, msam said:

5 hours ago, naberlin said:

Of course customs authorities can perform random checks, but most of them recognize that trying to catch people bringing in individual electronic devices is not worth their time.  Your assertion that "contraband is contraband" is, well, completely absurd...are you suggesting, for instance, that bringing in an undeclared iPhone should be treated the same as someone bringing in a suitcase full of cocaine, or weapons?

Which part of "They are normally not looking for the single iphone you bought from the USA" was not clear? That's not what they're looking for, but if, while looking for the suitcase full of undeclared cash, they find an iPhone, it is their job to act on it. And no...bringing in an iPhone means that if you get caught you pay the relevant tax and are sent on your way (possibly with a fine), bringing in cocaine or weapons will get you into more trouble. 

9 hours ago, Wertewandel said:

Where is Spiderpig when you need him. I am growing weary of the sermons and pedantry from above.

SpiderPig, at least that old good SpiderPig, would have told you to go back to your country if you do not like the rules.

I did a mistake of explaining (trying to) why the rules are designed that way. And now I am guilty for the existence of these rules. LOL

Lesson learned, people prefer "fuck you and follow the rules or you go to jail" approach.