Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Team Building Activities Outside of Munich

26 posts in this topic

What are some good team-building activities for a large group (30-40 people) of mostly 30-45 year old men (with a few women)? The people are fairly outgoing/adventurous/competitive, mostly ex-military. The event is in mid-April. Should be within Bavaria, and we are staying overnight. There are other items on the agenda (work discussions), but we have at least half a day for the fun stuff I think. 

I'm brand new in Munich, so I have no clue what's around here! Something like white water rafting, raft building competition, etc would be cool. Looking for creative suggestions outside of that. 

Thanks!

you might be interested in a location where you can visit a Kletterwald.   For example:  https://www.kletterwald-muenchen.de

April is still pretty chilly for water activities.  But you can look for Floßfahrt and things related.  here is a munich based list...of course the isar is not really "white water" but...you asked ;) )  http://www.muenchen.de/freizeit/isar-flossfahrt.html

6 minutes ago, lisa13 said:

April is still pretty chilly for water activities.  

They are ex-military, ie. no sissies :).

2 minutes ago, BradinBayern said:

We had fun with an escape room.  Not sure if that is too cerebral.  

Ex-military?  Paintball?  Archery Tag? https://archerytag.com/

Paintball is so 1990s. I already had 2 events in an escape room, but that's only suitable for smaller groups like 6-8 people and only lasts one hour.

2 minutes ago, LukeSkywalker said:

They are ex-military, ie. no sissies :).

not about them being sissies, it's about the outfitters not being in service yet at that time of year :)

No matter what you plan during the day, most of the actual team building will be done in the evening over beer. I'd worry more about those arrangements than the day ones, tbh., but maybe that's just me.

indeed.  Many hotels cater to teambuilding groups, they'll arrange events and that kind of thing, so if I had to plan this, I'd narrow the target location somewhat then just search for a nice hotel in the area and let them handle most of the rest, wrt to suggestions, activities, usw.

7 minutes ago, Guest said:

No matter what you plan during the day, most of the actual team building will be done in the evening over beer. I'd worry more about those arrangements than the day ones, tbh., but maybe that's just me.

Actually, we've had a Hütte weekend in the mountains and a couple offsite workshops for part of the group, so I'd say we already spent plenty of time around each other with beer. So for this event, it would actually be better to be more active. 

I was starting to think more about trebuchet/raft building, since we're almost all engineers. Maybe some building + some active component. Like build a raft and then "race" it down a river (not white water is oerfect for that).

15 minutes ago, lisa13 said:

not about them being sissies, it's about the outfitters not being in service yet at that time of year :)

Any equivalent activities that are available in this area?

I'm not sure what is equivalent to boating that's not...boating ;)

I'm not trying to be a dick, really - your query is awfully broad.

eta:  April and often May are usually just gross.  Muddy, chilly, rainy...of course you can still try to find something but you have to know what you want, exactly, then go find THAT, and see who can offer it in this shoulder season

20 minutes ago, LukeSkywalker said:

They are ex-military, ie. no sissies :)

I'm ex-military and not the tough, macho type. I'd prefer a cooking class over a rafting adventure 10 days a week.

1 minute ago, lisa13 said:

I'm not sure what is equivalent to boating that's not...boating ;)

I'm not trying to be a dick, really - your query is awfully broad.

18 minutes ago, lisa13 said:

Any equivalent activities that are available in this area?

I just realized you commented earlier with the Kletterwald idea. Things like that are what I'm looking for! 

4 minutes ago, lisa13 said:

eta:  April and often May are usually just gross.  Muddy, chilly, rainy...of course you can still try to find something but you have to know what you want, exactly, then go find THAT, and see who can offer it in this shoulder season

for a group you might have better luck finding an outfitter or site, etc. - you'll be paying enough to make it more worthwhile for them

8 minutes ago, jdbanas said:

I just realized you commented earlier with the Kletterwald idea. Things like that are what I'm looking for! 

yeah these places are cool - you can find them all over the place, so many locations, and they offer varying levels of challenge.  Judging by the specific place I linked, they are open in April, and it appears you can arrange special appointments for groups/teambuilding where I can only guess you'd have the place all to yourselves

24 minutes ago, jdbanas said:

I was starting to think more about trebuchet/raft building, since we're almost all engineers

Perhaps if you are engineers NOT building stuff would be more of a break.

I would really consider @BradinBayern's suggestion of tag archery, provided it was accompanied by a barbeque (perhaps some sort of gazebo might be needed) and crate of beer. It's a good group activity. Those of you who are competitive can have a load of goes and those who aren't can sit out a few games and have a beer/watch. The games don't last long, and it isn't spread out like paintball, so it's not a b@llache for those of you who aren't playing.

I just remembered this one:  http://www.hochseilgarten-isarwinkel.de/en/

my former employer had our summer party there one year, but I didn't attend so can't vouch for it directly

as far as I recall, there is a resto at the top of the seilbahn where you could book a nice meal, with spectacular views too

lenggries is nice

1 hour ago, jdbanas said:

I was starting to think more about trebuchet/raft building, since we're almost all engineers. Maybe some building + some active component. Like build a raft and then "race" it down a river (not white water is oerfect for that).

DIY Junkyard War?  Maybe at one of the Munich MakerSpaces?

1 minute ago, BradinBayern said:

PS none of the Kletterwalds are going to be open this time of year.  

are you sure?

the event is in april.  As I already pointed out, the one in my first post is open by then, at the very least (they open end of march).  The one in Lenggries doesn't give any season specific info, they say they are open daily for some things, and by appointment for others.  no i didn't call them.  but I have seen them (first hand) running even in late november some places.  I don't think you are correct.

13 minutes ago, lisa13 said:

are you sure?

the event is in april.  As I already pointed out, the one in my first post is open by then, at the very least (they open end of march).  The one in Lenggries doesn't give any season specific info, they say they are open daily for some things, and by appointment for others.  no i didn't call them.  but I have seen them (first hand) running even in late november some places.  I don't think you are correct.

Whatever are you talking about? :)

I used to hate the Team building/ role playing workshops  introduced to health care some years ago! 

Rafting and climbing sound much more fun!