Pflichtversicherung vs Freiwilligversicherung

30 posts in this topic

I just got a letter from TK that for my 'Krankenversicherung' I am now 'Freiwillige Versichert'. They say it is because your employer has determined that your salary exceeds the insurance limit.

Can anyone here tell me what are the differences between voluntary and compulsory health insurance? Is it good or bad? Does voluntary mean that I can cancel it altogether now?

P.S. I googled about this topic but could not find some explicit explanation. Thanks a lot :)

You earn too much?

Take a pay cut or send the extra to me each month :ph34r:

Sorry for the glib response but I couldn't resisit. As for sense, someone sensible like John G or Startshallow should be along soon.

39 minutes ago, munichdiaries said:

I just got a letter from TK that for my 'Krankenversicherung' I am now 'Freiwillige Versichert'. They say it is because your employer has determined that your salary exceeds the insurance limit.

Can anyone here tell me what are the differences between voluntary and compulsory health insurance? Is it good or bad? Does voluntary mean that I can cancel it altogether now?

P.S. I googled about this topic but could not find some explicit explanation. Thanks a lot :)

Hello Munichdiaries! There is no difference between voluntary membership and compulsory membership of public insurance as far as the level of cover is concerned.

All it means is: because you earn over x amount per year now, you have the choice of either public insurance or private insurance- you are free to compare the benefits of public or private health insurance in the German system.

You CANNOT cancel having health insurance, though! You must have one form or the other!

Disclaimer: I´m an independent insurance broker and official advertiser on Toytown

Can't you submit invoices from private doctors anymore if you're voluntarily insured ( and get at least a partial refund according what it would have cost within the public system)?

The only difference between compulsary and voluntary is that you can decide to leave the public system and go to a private company. Years ago only "Angestellter " could do this but now everyone who earns over the limit can decide. If you are married and have kids get a quote before you decide to exit as some private companies charge for each person registered not like the public ones who insure children and spouses free of charge.

Beware tempting offers that seem a bargain. I have friends who gambled on private policies who say they'd give anything to get back into the public system. AFAIK it's near impossible to get back in - but others may correct me.

2 hours ago, jeba said:

Can't you submit invoices from private doctors anymore if you're voluntarily insured ( and get at least a partial refund according what it would have cost within the public system)?

http://bfy.tw/GHsr

7 hours ago, ballygobackwards said:

The only difference between compulsary and voluntary is that you can decide to leave the public system and go to a private company. Years ago only "Angestellter " could do this but now everyone who earns over the limit can decide. If you are married and have kids get a quote before you decide to exit as some private companies charge for each person registered not like the public ones who insure children and spouses free of charge.

Good evening, bally!

I don´t know how far you go back there but self-employed people could always choose between public and private health insurance and Angestellte over the income limit could always choose between public and private insurance...as far as I know...

All private companies - if insuring a whole family - insure individual members separately...not just " some "...Public companies: depends..if a spouse is working as an employee, he/she needs his/her own public or private contract.

And I agree - definitely get professional  advice re public v private insurance, especially re long term implications.

A note: nobody really knows the long term implications but anyway...laws change, Governments change....and all the rest of it...

59 minutes ago, john g. said:

Good evening, bally!

I don´t know how far you go back there but self-employed people could always choose between public and private health insurance and Angestellte over the income limit could always choose between public and private insurance...as far as I know...

All private companies - if insuring a whole family - insure individual members separately...not just " some "...Public companies: depends..if a spouse is working as an employee, he/she needs his/her own public or private contract.

And I agree - definitely get professional  advice re public v private insurance, especially re long term implications.

A note: nobody really knows the long term implications but anyway...laws change, Governments change...and all the rest of it...

John G
Regarding Arbeiter and Angestellte I was only referring to Munichdairies case, he mentioned an employer. That was the case up until the late 1990s. No Arbeiter could change to a Private company. My advice to him is stay where you are or only move to another Public Company. They are controlled by the Government .

Bally: no Arbeiter could change to a private  company? That was the case till the late 1990s? Was it?

" They are controlled by the Government ? "

Hello`? 

10 hours ago, john g. said:

Bally: no Arbeiter could change to a private  company? That was the case till the late 1990s? Was it?

" They are controlled by the Government ? "

Hello`? 

What I meant was the  minimal regulations who and what are covered by the  public system are laid down . They can and some do offer more than this,  for example in  dental treatment and rehabilitation.  When exactly the law changed and allowed  arbeitnehmer  ( gewerbliche ) to decide to change to Private companies if they wished I cannot remember but that was the case in the 70s and 80s.    

John g.

Thanks for the link I was not sure when the law changed to permit workers  to  change to private insurance.

In 1989 , the health reform law also permitted workers whose earnings are above the compulsory insurance limit to be fully insured privately. Civil servants and self-employed persons were referred to private insurance regardless of income.

Original German text:
1989 wurde im Gesundheitsreformgesetz auch Arbeitern gestattet, deren Verdienst oberhalb der Versicherungspflichtgrenze liegen sich vollständig privat zu versichern.

Sorry for the "necroposting" but can you confirm that once you opt for a private insurance you can't go back to a public one, unless your yearly income goes below the thresold that let you to opt for a  Freiwillige ?

@Frantic - that is indeed still correct and won't be changed anytime soon.... plus: you can only change back thru lower gross income until age 55. After that, not even a lower gross salary will get you compulsorily insured in public health insurance again. 

Cheerio

An exception to that rule, Frantic, is if you leave Germany, get publicly insured in another European country for eg a year and return to Germany and start again. That works even if you´re 56,58,  61 ..whatever.

On 1/28/2018, 1:02:56, ballygobackwards said:

That's not only difference. Also parents which are freiwillig versichert have to pay for their health insurance during paternity leave, others get it for free. Without deep investigation it seems that public are better for families, private for rich (healthy) singles.

7 minutes ago, darck said:

That's not only difference. Also parents which are freiwillig versichert have to pay for their health insurance during paternity leave, others get it for free. Without deep investigation it seems that public are better for families, private for rich (healthy) singles.

You are confusing freiwillig and private here, if I earn over the limit and decide to stay with my Public Krankenkasse,then I  am freiwillig versichert but will be treated like a person who is compulsary insured, only when I change to a private company must I pay when I am earning or not =  paternity leave , a long illness or unemployment for example