Rules of using a noise nuisance recorder in Stuttgart

43 posts in this topic

I would like to know the rules of using a noise nuisance recorder in Germany, because I would like to know if my neighbour is misusing it and if I will get into any trouble to deal with this issue.

And I would like to apologize for my any typing mistakes because I have not slept well for a month and I almost had no sleep for two days. My neighbour is still banging and I feel dizzy when I am typing . I am sorry and thank you very much for any help.

1)The reason why my neighbour installed a noise nuisance recorder to deal with me:

The psycho living below me speaks very loudly day and night. I live on 4th floor and he is on the 3rd.

I recorded his voice in my apartment and sent it to my landlord. His every word could be clearly heard in the mp3 file.

The result was my landlord was very scared and said it was my fault to be too quiet.

And his landlord replied me after listened to the mp3 said his tenant spoke very quietly and the building as well as his apartment has not problems.

This might explain why there were no neighbours standing up to deal with his noise.  

So the only thing I could do is playing music at home. Then he hated me like never before because I ruined his absolutely quiet environment for him to speak up loud. He called the police a couple of times. I kept playing my music in my apartment while the police were in his apartment. The result was the police said they could heard nothing and it was very quiet inside and around our building. Since then the police refused to come here for his calls.

After that, he installed a noise nuisance recorder in his dining room. I knew it because I could hear its stupid signal sound at quiet night and he stopped talking in the dining room as well. 

I thought it was good because at last I could have some rest. Afterwards, I understood it's how he takes his revenge by using it...

2) How he tackles me wih the machine:

a) He doesn't talk in dining room but he keeps banging hard on the walls and ceilings in all of his rooms at daytime. Short and deep. Non-stop. It's already three days.

B) Last night at 1:30 a.m. he banged hard and shouted loudly, "I knew it"s you to bang! You're so noisy!!" All neighbours heard what he shouted so that he could pretend that it was not him to do such thing, he could keep banging day and night and it stopped the lady living under him (2nd floor) to bang back.

3) He keeps scratching and knocking on something in the sleeping room the whole night long until I get up the next morning. He does it right below the position of my bed and my pillow, so that I cannot sleep. It's already 2 nights. He rang my doorbell and ran away last night, too.

4) This morning, he spoke with his wife in his sleeping room from 4:50 am. I could not stand anymore and I turned on my radio. He stopped talking but kept made other noises mentioned in point 3 until 6:30am. At 6:30 am he began to speak up. Of course, I turned up my radio to cover his voice but the point was, he stopped talking immediately and took his recorder from the dining room to the sleeping room immediately right under the position of my bed so that I could heard the signals. After a while, he took it back to the dining room and banged again. It repeated and repeated for hours until I got up.

My question is, can he use the recorder in this way??? I mean,

1) Can he change the position where the recorder installed in his apartment from one room to another room at any moment during recording???

So that he can record nothing from himself but others' fighting back???

2) Can the recorder measure his banging? If yes, can he refuse to admit that it is him to do it so it cannot be the proof of it was him to make the noises?

3) Can he objectively select the unique noise (which is from me) and ignore the noises made from others (himself and other neighbours) from the recordings that he wants to use to make a complaint? I ask this question because the girl living next to me fight him back hard but I cannot because I am his only target and he wants me to move out.

4) Will the experts from this kind of companies really able to tell him where the measured sounds come from (next door, downstairs, upstairs)?

Now I was worrying he told the company he hired it was me to bang the walls day and night.

5) In case he could record my TV, radio and music, will I be in trouble???

Thank you very much for any advice and any further information about the rules and regulations of using a noise nuisance recorder in Germany, thank you very much.

22 minutes ago, Namu said:

Can you move? 

I have tried to find another apartment but there is still no feedback. And I may need to find a new job because the company I work for is having a very big financial problem. I guess it is very probably I need to stay here this year. The girl living next door told me that It is very difficult to find an affordable apartment in Stuttgart even for the locals themselves but I will keep trying.

12 minutes ago, RenegadeFurther said:

Have you seen the rents now in Stuttgart ?

Yes, they are more expensive than 3 years ago.  As the prices keeps going up, I wish there would be a miracle and I could move. It will be much more expensive year after year. Someone said to me,"He will have health problems and die soon (because of his emotional and mental instability)." But I think I will die first if I cannot solve this problem:P He has been living here and enjoying his "nothing-to-do" unemployed lifestyle for 17 years. He doesn't like to work or even do the chores (when he opens his door it is smelly), he lies to his landlord he is an artist and the only thing he willing to do is speaking very loudly day and night. All the neighbours are scared of him. Maybe he comes from a rich family so that he has plenty of time and money to do such nonsense things..-_-

@IML When he is doing this in the middle of the night, telephone the police and tell them that you are afraid that something is wrong with your neighbor as you keep hearing these noises. Put them on speaker phone and let them hear it if possible. Then, they will come knock on the door of your neighbor and you can come out and say, "I am so glad you are okay. I thought you had an intruder!"

I think calling the police is a good idea

especially since they already ignore HIS calls due to his past loony behavior...I'm guessing they will be viewing him more skeptically than they will view you.  In addition, he is actively harassing you with his shenanigans and ringing the door in the middle of the night...this is not cool.  You need help!

ETA: I think it's important that you file a report even if they don't help directly.  At least this starts a paper trail, which in any legal kerfuffel is key

Have you considered talking to your doctor and having him change the doseage of your medicine? 

Does it seem plausable that your neighbor has stayed awake all night long for two nights in a row making banging and scratching noises just to irritate you? I know there are vindictive people out there but the self dicipline needed to stay up all night until the sun comes up while making repetative noises just to bother you would be like Navy Seal level dicipline. 

Just ignore the guy. Wear earplugs at night so you don't have to hear the noise.

If you are worried about not hearing your alarm clock just get this baby: https://www.amazon.de/Geemarc-SBB500SS-IG-Sonic-Vibrationswecker-extra/dp/B000OOWZUK

I am deaf and I use it. I doesn't just wake up the deaf: I would wake up the DEAD. It also comes with a little pad that you put under the mattress and causes a mini earthquake. It wakes me up every time!

Althought I really empathise with this very awkard situation relating to unfair noise distribution in your apartment block, I strongly suggest that you re-post this in 6 or so days...

4 hours ago, Petro6golf said:

Have you considered talking to your doctor and having him change the doseage of your medicine? 

Does it seem plausable that your neighbor has stayed awake all night long for two nights in a row making banging and scratching noises just to irritate you? I know there are vindictive people out there but the self dicipline needed to stay up all night until the sun comes up while making repetative noises just to bother you would be like Navy Seal level dicipline. 

Ha, Ha. It is not funny at all. When you were in my shoes, you would know how it feels. He is unemployed and he can take naps at anytime he wants. And as I know he sleeps much less than normal people because he is taking medicine for his mental issues.

16 hours ago, AnswerToLife42 said:

Did you ever considered to join the Mieterverein?

Here you have the magical word. If I´d was you I´d join them and get advice from their lawyers. Those € 111.-/year will be well spent.

19 hours ago, IML said:

My question is, can he use the recorder in this way???

You recorded him and now he's recording you. Of course he can use it. Whether the recordings are legal is another question but you seemed to get away with doing it.

Join the Mietverein or hire a lawyer and let us know what they say.

Ear plugs, white noise or even better noise cancelling ear buds might allow you to catch up on much needed sleep while you wait for advice from the Mietverein.   

I once went to umweltamt to ask about noise and the guy pointed at a small fan on his desk and said nothing you hear from your neighbour should be louder than this.  So as a result, I turned on my own fan so see if I could hear my neighbour over it and found it quite good at drowning all noise from the neighbour.  I suggest you use that at night to drown him out.  You can use earplugs too if it helps.  Then for the day time, turn on the radio.  Keep it on all day every day between 7 and 22.  This is allowed and he has to sleep sometime himself so if he can't sleep during the day due to your radio, he will be forced to sleep during the night.

37 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

You recorded him and now he's recording you.

but with a twist:  from the OPs description, he's recording himself pretending to be her

if this is accurate, it sounds like a new level of crazy neighbor.  I myself know that neighbors can craze in the direction of "what?  you actually have time and interest to devote to this level of intentional lunacy?" but this one sounds particularly painful and bizarre (again, if accurate)

5 hours ago, LeonG said:

I once went to umweltamt to ask about noise and the guy pointed at a small fan on his desk and said nothing you hear from your neighbour should be louder than this.  So as a result, I turned on my own fan so see if I could hear my neighbour over it and found it quite good at drowning all noise from the neighbour.  I suggest you use that at night to drown him out.  You can use earplugs too if it helps.  Then for the day time, turn on the radio.  Keep it on all day every day between 7 and 22.  This is allowed and he has to sleep sometime himself so if he can't sleep during the day due to your radio, he will be forced to sleep during the night.

When he is speaking in his apartment, one can hear from him must be louder than any kinds of fans. I have already turn on my white noise (wind sound) and it helps a little. I can't hear him only when I am vacuuming the floor. So as you suggested, I from now on turn on my radio from 7 am. to 10pm. Although it pisses him off, I think it will be the best way to keep him off of me. And it is a very good piece of advice that I keep him being awake at daytime by this so that he has no choice but sleeps at night. It is a very wise suggestion, thank you very much.

20 hours ago, Smaug said:

Just ignore the guy. Wear earplugs at night so you don't have to hear the noise.

If you are worried about not hearing your alarm clock just get this baby: https://www.amazon.de/Geemarc-SBB500SS-IG-Sonic-Vibrationswecker-extra/dp/B000OOWZUK

I am deaf and I use it. I doesn't just wake up the deaf: I would wake up the DEAD. It also comes with a little pad that you put under the mattress and causes a mini earthquake. It wakes me up every time!

Thank you very much. After I had read your reply, I went to visit the both of my neighbours living next to me and above. The girl living next to me more or less shares the same burden with me because she lives right above the psycho's storeroom (34 sqm2) and the lady lives above me knows him better than anyone else in the building. The girl also highly recommended me to use earplugs and showed me her very soft ones. She used it even at daytime in the apartment (I don't know why but I felt sad at that moment when she said it). And the lady living above me told me something about him and I understood more why he was so crazy. Last night I slept the best in this month because I took your advice, thank you very much.

6 hours ago, lisa13 said:

he's recording himself pretending to be her

if this is accurate, it sounds like a new level of crazy neighbor.  

Yes, it is a new level of craziness. Sometimes I will think,"How can he waste his life like this??? What is actually in his brain?"

6 hours ago, lisa13 said:

you actually have time and interest to devote to this level of intentional lunacy?" but this one sounds particularly painful and bizarre (again, if accurate)

Yes, it is very bizarre. I am totally not interested in him in any aspect. I just hope that he will get out of my way. That's why I would like to seek some advice here. Yes, it is very painful. (sigh...)

21 hours ago, Smaug said:

People who are noise insensitive have this weird belief that others can just shut out noise. 

Noise sensitive people can't. that's why noise drives us crazy