Unable to configure forward porting on my Unitymedia Kabelbw modem. Any idea how to do it?

12 posts in this topic

I have a small nodejs server running on my Raspberry pi which I want to be able to access from internet.

My ISP is Unitymedia and the modem+router combo that I have is called 'Unitymedia Kabelbw'.

I logged into the admin panel of my modem+router and under Advanced->Forwarding I added a new row with following configurations:

Public Port Range: 8080-8080
Target IP Address: 192.168.0.99 (My Raspberry pi IP)
Target Port Range: 8080-8080 (nodejs is running on this port i.e. localhost:8080)
Protocol: Both (TCP and UDP)

However, after I save and try to access it via internet using <my public ip>:8080 it just doesn't work.

I might have asked it on other technology forums but, Unitymedia is German only ISP and I thought TT might be the place for this question. Any idea how to do it right?

Are you sure you have your own, public IPv4 address and not just CG-NAT? 

do a 'netstat -an | grep :8080' to see if tomcat is bound only to your private Class C address (192.168.0.99). 

also, if you only have a non-commercial ISP contract, oftentimes ISP's won't pass 'typical' (80, 443, 8080, 22, etc...) inbound connection requests.

15 hours ago, sneaker said:

Are you sure you have your own, public IPv4 address and not just CG-NAT? 

I don't have my own public IPv4. At least not a static one. By this I mean I might see a different IP on "whatsmyip.com" than what I'd seen a month ago. So basically it's dynamic.

I am normal user and have a normal personal use contract with Unity media.

15 hours ago, zeeklafreek said:

do a 'netstat -an | grep :8080' to see if tomcat is bound only to your private Class C address (192.168.0.99). 

also, if you only have a non-commercial ISP contract, oftentimes ISP's won't pass 'typical' (80, 443, 8080, 22, etc...) inbound connection requests.

I am running nodejs server on my Raspberry pi and not tomcat. However, I did check and it's the only one using this port. This is the result:

tcp6      

tcp6       0      0 :::8080                 :::*                    LISTEN

I also tried with other ports e.g. 8585 as both nodejs listening port and public port on modem.

Your trying to forward to the ipV4 address of your raspberry (192.168.0.99), but your netstat shows that your raspi is listening to ipv6 on port 8080. So that cannot work.

However, all your efforts are fruitless (when it comes to ipv4), anyway, as you're most likely behind a CGNAT, see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carrier-grade_NAT.

46 minutes ago, franklan said:

Your trying to forward to the ipV4 address of your raspberry (192.168.0.99), but your netstat shows that your raspi is listening to ipv6 on port 8080. So that cannot work.

However, all your efforts are fruitless (when it comes to ipv4), anyway, as you're most likely behind a CGNAT, see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carrier-grade_NAT.

One can often check that by checking the WAN address that the router got from the ISP.

17 hours ago, msam said:

One can often check that by checking the WAN address that the router got from the ISP.

As the OP didn't even write what kind of router is used, one can only speculate about that possibility.

On 1/26/2018, 10:27:21, franklan said:

As the OP didn't even write what kind of router is used, one can only speculate about that possibility.

If by router you mean my modem. I actually did mention it in my very question title. My router and modem are in a single device (hybrid) and it's called "Unity media kabel bw" There's no other information available on the modem/router thing, so if you are expecting me to give you some model number etc. then I have to break it open.

Meanwhile, I ordered new modem from unity media. The new connect box. I will try configuring port forwarding on it as soon as I'm back from my holidays.

I'll update you guys.

To get around the public IP address always changing problem then you need to use a Dynamic DNS service.  

Some routers and be configured to connect to a Dynamic DNS service automatically, which can be helpful.

This article explains a bit more and might help you with the whole process;

https://pavelfatin.com/access-your-raspberry-pi-from-anywhere/

If you google there are other blogs about the topic.

8 hours ago, fredadi said:

If by router you mean my modem. I actually did mention it in my very question title. My router and modem are in a single device (hybrid) and it's called "Unity media kabel bw" There's no other information available on the modem/router thing, so if you are expecting me to give you some model number etc. then I have to break it open.

Dude, if you look at this link, https://www.google.de/search?q=unity+media+router&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwihqrWj3-jZAhVS2qQKHSf2AbUQ_AUICigB&biw=1262&bih=545

... you'll notice that there are several different types of routers sold as "unity media". I've never seen a router that doesn't have a sticker on the box saying what brand/type it is.

Without providing that information, you won't get answers. What hinders you to take a picture and post it?

On 13.3.2018, 08:09:01, dj_jay_smith said:

To get around the public IP address always changing problem then you need to use a Dynamic DNS service.

Problem is he probably doesn't have a public IP in the first place, whether static or dynamic. (CG-NAT)