arbeitslosengeld for non-EU workers

23 posts in this topic

Hi everyone, I am new here and I hope someone can help me, I was trying to find this answer but either I used the wrong keyword or I just didn't read the german right, but I don't think I found the answer I need.

I am not having the work permit which is unbounded to my employer (not a bluecard), and I am wondering whether I still should go to Ausländerbehörde if I lost my job to change it into job-seeker visa? I mean... they are not open now so I guess it is probably not relevant but I still would like to know.

Thanks to anyone who could help!

On 06/05/2020, 13:35:33, ughmylife said:

Hi everyone, I am new here and I hope someone can help me, I was trying to find this answer but either I used the wrong keyword or I just didn't read the german right, but I don't think I found the answer I need.

I am not having the work permit which is unbounded to my employer (not a bluecard), and I am wondering whether I still should go to Ausländerbehörde if I lost my job to change it into job-seeker visa? I mean... they are not open now so I guess it is probably not relevant but I still would like to know.

Thanks to anyone who could help!

you have to report the change, I'm sure you can do it online. they will give you a fiktioneinebeschung visa, not a a job seeker visa - job seeker is only for people who have just arrived under certain conditions or are recent graduates from german universities

On 22/11/2019, 13:59:04, lcoontz said:

I received alg1 after having worked on a company that was tied to my blue card for 22 months. This forum was helpful for me in preparing for the process but it turned out to be easier than expected (I always had the proper documentation and had basic german speaking ability) I went to the auslandebehorde in Berlin at Kepplerstrasse without an appointment (was difficult to convince the front door security to let me in but just be adamant and go to the top floor and get a waiting number) to report that I lost my job and I brought with me a letter from my company that stated I was fired. They printed a new green slip (you must bring your blue card and the green slip both!) to indicate that I was not anymore with my old company and seemed to be pretty understanding of my situation. When I asked how long I have to find a job, they said I might receive a notice from them after 3 months to come in and interview with them about my job search. Then I finished applied for ALG 1 (make sure to register with them as soon as you know you will lose your job, you can do it online.) and had no problems. At the arbeitsagentur, I got a rep that spoke english once, and the other times I needed my gf who speaks fluent german to come with (I don't recommend trying without at least a A2 level of german). It really helps to speak german through all this process. I got approx 1/2 of the time I worked offered for my ALG 1 time but I was able to find a new job in less time. I only needed to meet with my unemployment counselor 1 time in 3 months. When I got a new contract offered to me, I took my new contract back to the auslandebehorde and they updated my green slip to the new company name. All in all, hardest part was waking up early to arrive at the auslandebehorde office by 6am to avoid queuing and improving my basic german language skills.

interesting, very, very different experience if you have a work permit and not a blue card. frustratingly, I was on a work permit and not a bluecard, even though my salary was high enough for one, and also lost my job after working in germany for around 22 months. so, they gave me a fiktioneinebeschung visa for 6 months. I had to go to the arbeitsamt something like 10 times in one month (no joke), because they would not help me, because I was American - even though I legally qualified. I had to have the auslanderbehorde write a letter, and it took me 2 months before I started receiving ALG1. the arbeitsamt then claimed I didn't qualify for backpay, and I had to write to a higher level of the government to report the discrimination :/ I got it in the end, but it was a real hassle. The whole time I was told constantly I should speak better german... a lot of anti foreigner sentiment. I had to go to the auslandebehorde something like 6 times in those 6 months, and who knows how many times to the arbeitsamt. but eventually it all worked out, thank god!