Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Reihenhaus - Insulation question

3 posts in this topic

Hi,

I live in an end Reihenhaus. The free side of the house is quite exposed. Upstairs, my son has a bedroom on the colder side of the house. (The other area on the colder side comprises of the stairwell and the bathroom) 

My question is whether there is a way of insulating the portion of the upstairs outside wall that belongs just to my son's room. It would just be 1.8m by c.6m because the roof reduces the area of the wall . If this was feasible, would insulating just this section make sense? 

Inside, would special panels or wallpaper help? (His 'window' is an unused balcony door but unfortunately we can't put a curtain on it at the moment because he is only 1yo and pulls at everything. I checked during the winter and the seals are all ok.)

Many thanks in advance for any advice!

There is some insulated wallpaper you can put up.  Even normal wallpaper helps.  However, I heard from a friend who lives in a building owned by a company that owns many buildings that some people came to fix a moldy wall at his apartment and they just plastered it and painted.  They said they no longer use wallpaper because it molds.  However, this could be due to the tenants not airing the apartment out properly.

As for proper insulation, you could put up a frame, throw some rock wool in there and drywall.  I don't know about mold issues there.  You can find youtube videos if you search for insulating walls and you can ask at the Baumarkt.

56 minutes ago, LeonG said:

There is some insulated wallpaper you can put up.  Even normal wallpaper helps.  However, I heard from a friend who lives in a building owned by a company that owns many buildings that some people came to fix a moldy wall at his apartment and they just plastered it and painted.  They said they no longer use wallpaper because it molds.  However, this could be due to the tenants not airing the apartment out properly.

As for proper insulation, you could put up a frame, throw some rock wool in there and drywall.  I don't know about mold issues there.  You can find youtube videos if you search for insulating walls and you can ask at the Baumarkt.

We have never out wallpaper up (in the main rooms) as the thought of having to remove it and repair any damage done by that afterwards never seemed worth it.
Last time we moved we got lucky that the new family were in such a rush to get in they just decided that my daughter's room would be their daughter's room. No need for us to do anything, just get out as quick as you can.