Kindergartens in Norderstedt (Hamburg)

5 posts in this topic

Hi,

I have just registered in norderstedt for day care (kita) for my 6 year old kid. I've contacted a few day care's nearby in norderstedt but all of them are full. I've heard ladies book the kita when they are pregnant. Now i'm stuck in a situation of where to send my child for day care - 7:30 AM - 5:30 PM. 

does anyone know of any ladie's / families who will take care of kids during this time slot Mon-Fri

Please advise  as the authorities at https://www.norderstedt.de/Familie-Freizeit/Familie/Kindertagesst%C3%A4tten - Stadt Norderstedt will yet reply with availability for the day care. 

If you know of anyone personally then please let me know. 

-thads

It's not uncommon for e-mails to go unanswered for a while (or altogether) here in Germany.  Have you been to the authorities' office? It's always better to turn up in person than to wait for a reply or a returned phone call. 

As your child is already age 6, s/he will presumably need to be in primary school starting in September.  Make sure to contact the Schulinformationszentrum (SIZ) - info here - to find out exactly when and how to register.  If you let them know that your 6-year-old is not in school or Kita/Kindergarten now, they may be able to advise you on how you get get a place ASAP.  In most places, older children (those ages 5+) and those who lack German-language skills get priority for Kindergarten places even in mid-year.  

6 hours ago, liebling said:

It's not uncommon for e-mails to go unanswered for a while (or altogether) here in Germany.  Have you been to the authorities' office? It's always better to turn up in person than to wait for a reply or a returned phone call. 

As your child is already age 6, s/he will presumably need to be in primary school starting in September.  Make sure to contact the Schulinformationszentrum (SIZ) - info here - to find out exactly when and how to register.  If you let them know that your 6-year-old is not in school or Kita/Kindergarten now, they may be able to advise you on how you get get a place ASAP.  In most places, older children (those ages 5+) and those who lack German-language skills get priority for Kindergarten places even in mid-year.  

Thank you very much for your valuable information. 

My wife is working so her company has hired a consultant (Prodego) who will assist in kindergarden and school admission for my kid. The problem is that the consultant who is handling our case is not pro-active and submitted our application to stadt norderstedt just before 3 days. We have been staying in Norderstedt since 2 months but the consultant never bothered to tell use to apply for Kindergarten to Stadt Norderstedt and that there would be huge waiting times. Now we are already delayed by 2 months and have to wait till my kid get's his turn for kindergarten as all are full. 

All this waiting could be avoided if the consultant would have made us apply to Stadt Norderstedt the moment we arrived in the country. Being a professional consultant such negligence is not expected & I don't find it appropriate to complain as things will be worse.

Is the  Schulinformationszentrum (SIZ)  different from Stadt Norderstedt. Should i wait for a reply from the consultant or should I approach some authorities as the consultant has told me not to approach authorities directly as that would cause confusion because she is also following up with them on my case. 

Hi there, 

I‘m a British native living in Norderstedt. My two children are in the Stettiner Strasse Kindergarten. It is relatively new, 1.5yrs old. I‘m not sure if they have any places free but it maybe worth a try. 

We moved to Norderstedt two years ago from Cologne and finding a kindergarten place was like finding gold mid term. I hate to say it but I don’t think you have much chance ... 

If your child is 6, you should definitely check that they have a place in your local Grundschule (unless the child will go to private school)  Again the Rathaus will tell you which Grundschule you belong to, this is based on your address. I know for a fact that the places have already been allocated and all letters been sent out to confirm the  places. All applications for full time places are being worked on as not every Grundschule offers full time care and some schools have limited capacity for full time places so check this with priority! My 6 year old has already been to an induction at his Grundschule; he was invited for an arts and craft afternoon to give him a flavour of school life, alleviate fears and introduce him to his new classmates before he starts in September. 

Definitely do the registration independently from the consultant. It sounds like you will get a quicker result. 

Tell your consultant he should contact all childminders  (Tagesmutter)  in Norderstedt to find you a place and he should provide you with a list of all the contacts he has tried and their availability by the end of next week. 

I will ask around in the kindergarten tomorrow ... 

I wish you best of luck! 

Germans have a saying "Ignorance will not protect you from punishment".  You may not know how things work in Germany but you do know (a) that the consultant hasn't done a great job so far and (b) that if the job of finding childcare soon -- and a school place for September, also soon -- is not done properly, it is your family that will pay, one way or another. For those reasons, I wouldn't trust that consultant with any additional responsibilities unless you are watching him like a hawk.  Demand that he goes with you in person to the Schulinformationszentrum to speak with them about your child and the situation.  That way the consultant can translate (if/as necessary), and both the consultant and the SIZ staff can summarize for you - to your face and in each others' presence - what has been done so far, what the circumstances are at present, and what needs to be done down the line. 

If the consultant refuses or demurs, fire him (or at least stop working with him) and inform whoever's paying for his services that you did not feel well served by him.  

Good luck!