Fiddling about with stocks, funds, etc. No conspiracy theories, please.

1,428 posts in this topic

16 minutes ago, MikeMelga said:

Doesn't matter if it drops, it already went up hugely in the past 3 years. Whoever bought more than 3 years ago is doing great, even if prices fall next.

In fact, my lovely  wife just now mentioned that we have to save more in order to be able to buy all those cheaper houses :P

What are the thoughts on holding cash right now?

And if (theoretically) someone had say €500k to invest where would be the safest place to put it where it could best maintain its current value?

2 minutes ago, spleen69 said:

And if (theoretically) someone had say €500k to invest where would be the safest place to put it where it could best maintain its current value?

in my bank account.

Bought NVidia a couple of weeks ago but I'm reconsidering. Their new GPUs came out extremely expensive. At first I thought they were just milking the early adopters, which is a positive sign, which means big margins. Now I suspect they made these GPUs for a post-covid world where GPUs would be in high demand, so they didn't engineer them for cost, just performance. Problem is, with crypto down, a lot of the demand is down, and with AMD coming up with cheaper alternatives in November, I think I made a bad bet.

I still want to hold NVidia on the long run, but I feel it will still drop for the next half year or so.

13 hours ago, spleen69 said:

With inflation nearing 10%, not too good. 

As for the 500k to invest, there is no single answer (save for giving it to a really good, professional financial adviser to take the decision for you), as diversity is the best all-round option irrespective of market conditions.

If you are worried about losing the lot, then property is worth considering, at least in part. For example, if you have one, you might want to consider paying off any mortgage before interest rates rise (living debt-free is a very nice position). Alternatively, if there is relatively good value property for sale (compared to equivalent places in the same area) in a relatively good area, you are not going to lose everything even if the market tanks.

13 hours ago, spleen69 said:

If you had 500k dollars to spend you could buy a European country.

This morning everything is collapsing against the dolar.

1 dollar = 0.9792 Euros.