Fiddling about with stocks, funds, etc. No conspiracy theories, please.

1,473 posts in this topic

On 16/07/2022, 18:44:48, yesterday said:

Should say "Opinions are like assholes, everybody's got one and everyone" !!

Think MM is mostly on target, but there are a lot of people out there that think we are going to go in to a major recession, with the stock market losing at least half its value from here.

Don't really think anybody really knows, if we did we would all have  millions.

I sold almost half my investments in January, because things looked so bad, and think there is a chance things are going to get a lot worse, yeah but maybe I am just pessimistic.  I have done some buying and selling in the last weeks but only minor stuff.

In these situations, some people think buying pork stocks are good as people will always need to eat, so you have a garneted market, to some extent, while other stuff you buy can be stopped if things get bad, but then there is is no real performance. I try to limit the damage to my sexy stocks at the moment. 

1. Crashes are to be expected
  2. The market always recovers
  3. The market always goes up
  4. Ignore the noise
  5. Stick to the plan

I invest x€ per month every month in an All World ETF. I don't look at my investments very often. I don't try and decide when to buy/sell based on external factors. This strategy has been good for my portfolio and my blood pressure.

2 hours ago, jamiegw said:

1. Crashes are to be expected
  2. The market always recovers
  3. The market always goes up
  4. Ignore the noise
  5. Stick to the plan

I invest x€ per month every month in an All World ETF. I don't look at my investments very often. I don't try and decide when to buy/sell based on external factors. This strategy has been good for my portfolio and my blood pressure.

There is one slight problem with that.

It is called Capital Gain Tax. 25% of your profits go to the Finanzamt.

I don't view taxes as a problem. Having to pay CGT is a privilege most people don't have to endure.

The amount you pay also depends on the fund. Funds with at least 51% equity receive a 30% exemption (Teilfreistellung).

On 20.7.2022, 13:13:56, RenegadeFurther said:

It is called Capital Gain Tax. 25% of your profits go to the Finanzamt.

AFAIK ETCs (Exchange traded Commodities) are free of tax after holding them 1 year or more.. Is this also valid for leveraged ETCs?

If i have a Gold ETC with 2x leverage and if i sell it after holding for 1 or more years, is the profit again tax free?

On 7/24/2022, 11:38:45, TurMech said:

AFAIK ETCs (Exchange traded Commodities) are free of tax after holding them 1 year or more.. Is this also valid for leveraged ETCs?

If i have a Gold ETC with 2x leverage and if i sell it after holding for 1 or more years, is the profit again tax free?

Not sure, sold some of my all world etf and was hit with a huge tax bill (compared to what i sold)

Tried to buy iShares Semiconductor ETF but my bank doesn't allow it...?

Anyway, bought some NVidia. It's down due to crypto market (GPU are not used to mine) and I think there is potential in the future for non-crypto markets, the question is if I bought it too soon.

I'm thinking of buying Hyundai, as they seem quite strong on EV market, although ultimately they might fall against chinese competition. I need to get more info.

35 minutes ago, MikeMelga said:

Tried to buy iShares Semiconductor ETF but my bank doesn't allow it...?

Anyway, bought some NVidia. It's down due to crypto market (GPU are not used to mine) and I think there is potential in the future for non-crypto markets, the question is if I bought it too soon.

I'm thinking of buying Hyundai, as they seem quite strong on EV market, although ultimately they might fall against chinese competition. I need to get more info.

How about oil & natural gas?

2 hours ago, MikeMelga said:

Isn`t it because US official ordered it to stop selling its AI chips to China?

20 minutes ago, RenegadeFurther said:

That's what I've been reading.

22 minutes ago, RenegadeFurther said:

I think it's mostly due to crypto miners not using GPUs any more, so their margins drop. GPU prices dropped to almost half since beginning of the year, well before this US thing.

Anyway, I think they might still have a mid term role on AI and self driving.

Be interesting to know what people are investing in now.

Another massive hike by the Fed,  Euro/USD now in freefall.

The big question is how far will the Fed go and whether it can control inflation.

The Euro/USD is now 1Euro/0.98270.

So if I buy any international stock i get hit with the exchange rate.

Seems the Euro is soon going to be worthless.

22 minutes ago, RenegadeFurther said:

The big question is how far will the Fed go and whether it can control inflation.

I buy what I always buy. I don't pay attention to this noise.

2 hours ago, RenegadeFurther said:

It's times like this when you have to put money in. Either high growth stocks (high risk) or ETFs. Especially non-US ETFs, as the dollar is too strong.

If you follow the rule that something like S&P500 never drops more than 30-35% on the deepest crisis, and it has dropped 20% already since last year's peak, then you could think that it won't go down more than 10%, and could rebound 25-30%.

Good for my american stocks.

Of course it can, it's a matter of time. It's a transient thing, not permanent.

Both euro energy crisis and inflation are heavily related with ukranian war. I think this will resolve itself in a few months, and then market goes up, Euro goes up and inflation comes down.

56 minutes ago, MikeMelga said:

Of course it can, it's a matter of time. It's a transient thing, not permanent.

Both euro energy crisis and inflation are heavily related with ukranian war. I think this will resolve itself in a few months, and then market goes up, Euro goes up and inflation comes down.

This inflation is caused by 10 years of money printing by the central banks. There is still trillions of dollars and euros out there.

Also look at the national debt of the US, Italy, the UK.

For years Governments justified taking on short term debt because interest rates were so low.

This won`t be a recession but a depression.